Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

change.ie promoting dangerous driving

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

The speed limit between Glanmire and Watergrasshill has been changed to 120kph for about 4 weeks now.

Only goes to 100kph once you go past the Glanmire interchange.

I stand corrected on the location, because I was doing 120 even after the motorway ended all the way up to the 100 kph sign where the road gets a lot twistier:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Flyer1 wrote: »
    I'm in right trouble so, i'm ehhhh giiiiving up fly..... Nahh screw it, it's too much fun :D

I'll be joing you in that club in a few years if I can muster up the finances :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

RobAMerc wrote: »
    their ridiculous add advises people to reduce their speed from 100 to 80 kph

this is dangerous and stupid - we should all spam them with a mail stating so

www.change.ie :mad:

isnt dangerous at all tbh

but due to irish driver talent i doubt we'll ever be safe... if anything i can only see deaths increasing... and rightfully so until we get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

S.I.R wrote: »

but due to irish driver talent i doubt we'll ever be safe... if anything i can only see deaths increasing... and rightfully so until we get the message.

You can only see them increasing; despite the fact they've been decreasing for a number of years solid now? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

S.I.R wrote: »

A: If a few people decide they are going to drive at 80kph on the open road then the amount of accidents caused by poorly executed overtaking due to frustration is going to increase ( not caused by speeding as every ill informed knob end will call it )
    B: The road deaths are DE-creasing

come on - you can't be that ill informed can you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

kbannon wrote: »
    I don't have leave a carbon footprint - I leave two wide tyre marks!

Yes you do! The harder you pedal the more CO2 you exhale. And if the effort makes you fart then your emissions will be even more damaging to the environment. Get a car and stop creating global warming:D
    Stephen wrote: »
    Tell that to the muppets in government. They think anything bigger than 1.6 litres is large, regardless of how much weight it is pulling.

Unless of course it is a ministerial limo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

ART6 wrote: »
    Yes you do! The harder you pedal the more CO2 you exhale. And if the effort makes you fart then your emissions will be even more damaging to the environment. Get a car and stop creating global warming:D

Isn't it true, that per kg moved, cycling is actually less carbon efficient than say a motorbike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a moronic website to begin with. Like if you own a car then you're contibuting to climate change, but actually driving a car doesn't contribute to your "change number".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I like to rev the fook out of my engine while stopped at traffic lights just to piss off the climate heads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The 1.6 engines being large is a bit much alright, more like <1.6 =Small, <2.5=Medium >2.5=Large tbh. Although it really depends on the car, of course. And that said, I agree with the tax being much higher for above 2-2.5l, that's where the boundary between nessecity and fuel-burning entertainment is in a car, even for a Landie or the like.

Interesting as mentioned above, how they'll give the ministers 3.5l Merc's and leave the Gardaí with 1.6l Ford Focus/Mondeo's to police the streets. What a shower of pr*cks.

• Advertisement

Isn't fast ferry travel more 'CO2 unfriendly' than flying? Add to that that I'm hauling a tonne+ of stuff (car+contents) extra while in the boat compared to the plane; and it doesn't even have an option to put in how many ferry journeys you take a year - many more than I fly, anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 goodladdy

ART6 wrote: »
    Yes you do! The harder you pedal the more CO2 you exhale. And if the effort makes you fart then your emissions will be even more damaging to the environment. Get a car and stop creating global warming

think kbannon meant two wide tyre marks from the rear tyres of a car
    my guess big engined german car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

RobAMerc wrote: »
    A: If a few people decide they are going to drive at 80kph on the open road then the amount of accidents caused by poorly executed overtaking due to frustration is going to increase ( not caused by speeding as every ill informed knob end will call it )

So driving at 80k is dangerous because other people can't drive carefully?

Maybe dangerous is pushing it but the website is advocating inconsiderate driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Stark wrote: »
    Maybe dangerous is pushing it but the website is advocating inconsiderate driving.

Would you considering driving at 65kph on a motorway not being dangerous ?

Well I'd consider that to be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Well actually i am working hard to increase my carbon footprint and to hell with change.ie .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Change Campaign

Thank you for showing an interest in the Change Campaign which is all about encouraging the public sector, the private sector, communities and individuals to realise their contribution to climate change and to lower their carbon number. The key initiative we are implementing to lower carbon emissions nationally is the development of a carbon management tool for the private and public sectors which will launch in the next couple of months and be backed up by a nationwide training programme.

Back to your specific query about the eco driving tips being promoted currently – the advice we are giving is the same advice that is widely used by many other credible sources such as Sustainable Energy Ireland and the Power of One Campaign. The savings are presented in both monetary and carbon terms and while they are scientifically calculated and accurate, they will vary with individual driving behaviour. The tips relate to the reduction of speed from 100 km/yr to 80 km/yr where possible. This would result in a reduction in fuel consumption and a carbon saving. It is understood that in some instances that it may not be advisable to reduce speed as this may not be a realistic option. People should try to find the safest and most practical way to reduce their speed in order to make these fuel savings. We understand that the prescribed tips are not a “one-size-fits-all” solution however we have had positive great feedback from many people on this issue who said they were not aware of the information and were grateful for it being publicised so widely by Change.

Below are the calculations on which we based our tips. If you have any further comments or queries please do not hesitate to contact us. In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck in reducing your own carbon number – visit http://www.change.ie to find your number and ways to reduce it

The calculations are based on the following assumptions

1. ECO driving savings
    25% saving in the short term
    5-10% saving in the long term
    Assumption 1 we take an average of these savings 25%+ 5% = 30/ 2= 15%

2. Average Cars
    Average new car purchased 2007 emitted 3.6 tonnes of C02 and cost €1620 in today's prices - source SEI Press release 3rd July 2008 (SEI web site)

Assumption 2 we take 3.6 tonnes and €1620 as the average C02 and fuel costs.

3. ECO driving potential annual savings
    At 5% saving Fuel = € 81 C02 = 180 kg
    At 10% savings Fuel = € 162 C02 =360 kg
    At 15% savings Fuel = €244 C02 =540 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Thank you for showing an interest in the Change Campaign which is all about encouraging the public sector, the private sector, communities and individuals to realise their contribution to climate change and to lower their carbon number. The key initiative we are implementing to lower carbon emissions nationally is the development of a carbon management tool for the private and public sectors which will launch in the next couple of months and be backed up by a nationwide training programme.

Back to your specific query about the eco driving tips being promoted currently – the advice we are giving is the same advice that is widely used by many other credible sources such as Sustainable Energy Ireland and the Power of One Campaign. The savings are presented in both monetary and carbon terms and while they are scientifically calculated and accurate, they will vary with individual driving behaviour. The tips relate to the reduction of speed from 100 km/yr to 80 km/yr where possible. This would result in a reduction in fuel consumption and a carbon saving. It is understood that in some instances that it may not be advisable to reduce speed as this may not be a realistic option. People should try to find the safest and most practical way to reduce their speed in order to make these fuel savings. We understand that the prescribed tips are not a “one-size-fits-all” solution however we have had positive great feedback from many people on this issue who said they were not aware of the information and were grateful for it being publicised so widely by Change.

Below are the calculations on which we based our tips. If you have any further comments or queries please do not hesitate to contact us. In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck in reducing your own carbon number – visit www.Change.ie to find your number and ways to reduce it.

The calculations are based on the following assumptions.

1. ECO driving savings

2. Average Cars

Average new car purchased 2007 emitted 3.6 tonnes of C02 and cost €1620 in today's prices - source SEI Press release 3rd July 2008 (SEI web site).

Assumption 2 we take 3.6 tonnes and €1620as the average C02 and fuel costs.

At 10% savings Fuel = € 162 C02 = 360 kg

At 15% savings Fuel €244 C02 = 540 kg

^ I'm not going to bother to read that on the basis that all those [FONT] tags are causing my monitor to be less energy efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

1. ECO driving savings

2. Average Cars
    Average new car purchased 2007 emitted 3.6 tonnes of C02 and cost €1620 in today's prices - source SEI Press release 3rd July 2008 (SEI web site)

At 10% savings Fuel = € 162 C02 = 360 kg
    At 15% savings Fuel = €244 C02 = 540 kg

Can someone explain this a bit better to me please?

Is that an average car emits 3.6 Tones of C02 per year?
    And what is the €1620 about? is it the amount the of fuel used to produce 3.6 tonnes of C02?

and what the hell is the last bit about?
    Looks like mickey mouse calculations to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The tips relate to the reduction of speed from 100 km/yr to 80 km/yr where possible.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Below are the calculations on which we based our tips. If you have any further comments or queries please do not hesitate to contact us. In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck in reducing your own carbon number – visit http://www.change.ie to find your number and ways to reduce it

1. ECO driving savings

2. Average Cars

At 10% savings Fuel = € 162 C02 =360 kg
    At 15% savings Fuel = €244 C02 =540 kg

OK Thats better.:pac:

Honestly at the end of the day its only money so I'd prefer to have a hole in my wallet (and the ozone layer for that matter! :P) than doddlin' around at 80kmph :rolleyes: .This countries has enough slow drivers all ready so you'll have to excuse if if i don't bow to this pathetic charade.

As another member aptly put it: "Its more about the Smiles per gallon than miles per gallon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Unlike many here, I am pretty sure that CO2 emissions are causing climate change, and that it's going to be pretty bad within our lifetimes.

However, none of this pious "slow down and turn off your lights" bull is going to help.

Most cars are *meant* to be most efficient at 56mph, 90km/h. Why are you advocating driving at below the most efficient speed?

MYOB wrote: »
    Most cars are *meant* to be most efficient at 56mph, 90km/h. Why are you advocating driving at below the most efficient speed?

This isn't true at all. 56 mph is just a figure picked for the fuel efficiency tests. The slower you go in top gear, the more efficient it is.

If you're allowed to change gears, it gets more complicated, since obviously driving around at 50 kph in first gear won't be efficient, but in general, the slower the better, from an mpg point of view.

The technical reason is that the power needed to overcome air resistance goes up with the cube of velocity.

Eh, the slowest I can go comfortably in top gear is 50km/h. There is no way me driving at 50km/h in 6th is going to emit anything less per kilometre than going 100km/h - mainly due to it taking twice as long to do the kilometre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark_Walsh

Zube wrote: »
    Unlike many here, I am pretty sure that CO2 emissions are causing climate change, and that it's going to be pretty bad within our lifetimes.

However, none of this pious "slow down and turn off your lights" bull is going to help.

Do you have any better ideas??! :P

MYOB wrote: »
    Eh, the slowest I can go comfortably in top gear is 50km/h. There is no way me driving at 50km/h in 6th is going to emit anything less per kilometre than going 100km/h - mainly due to it taking twice as long to do the kilometre!

Try it. I guarantee you'll get better mileage.

Mark_Walsh wrote: »
    Do you have any better ideas??! :P

Yes, but they aren't very motoring-related.

A global carbon tax (with breaks for the poorer) which is used to sequester the carbon being emitted, plus a bit more for the stuff already out there. This will put the real cost of fossil fuels out in the open, and make a shift to nuclear for electricity generation economically sensible.

Motoring-wise, I don't know if we'll end up in plug-ins, fuel-cells, hydrogen or alcohol driven cars, but the best way to find out is to price the energy correctly and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    Try it. I guarantee you'll get better mileage.

About as much chance of me cutting off my left testicle, to be honest - the personal cost of driving that slow to work/leisure/shops/anything is enough that it would actually destroy my life, as well as probably actually end it as someone overtakes me on a blind corner for driving like a twat.

Additionally, considering there is a base amount of emissions that your engine will emit no matter what speed your doing, its not like theres an exact linear rpm/co2 emission scale. There is not a chance in hell that I'll be putting out half the co2 per km at 50 as at 100.

Advertisement