Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The man flu, Support Thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

pussies.
    My cold has gone.

scared the fúcker out of there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Alice1 wrote: »
    Buncha wusses! Tellin' ya, wusses - you need to pull it together me dears

The ICE in ALICE is for your cold cold heart :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

CDfm wrote: »
    Hank, you are posting from LA, Tinseltown, Hollywood, Universal Studios and Disneyland where illness only exists in the movies.

Here on earth we have manflu and women drink pints and their bums really fill a pair of jeans.

This is real life and not a movie set :mad:

MANFLU WARNING- THE ILLNESS IS REAL. MANFLU SUFFERERS ARE REAL MEN -DO NOT TRY THIS IN A MOVIE STUDIO

I'm really posting from sunny Los Angeles Dundalk, the LA thing is a reference to Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

And with the crappy weather here, I know all about people not being able to handle a bit of a cold.

I have not been brainwas.....all glory to the hypnotoad!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Laid low with a bad dose at the moment, stayed in bed all day yesterday but had to get my ass into work today. Not at all impressed.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I
    And with the crappy weather here, I know all about people not being able to handle a bit of a cold.

I have not been brainwas.....all glory to the hypnotoad!

Yore Ma's a feminist :D
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Laid low with a bad dose at the moment, stayed in bed all day yesterday but had to get my ass into work today. Not at all impressed.

Yes Frisbee, its a statistical fact that women take more sickees than men so you are probably in covering for a woman with a hurtee knee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

CDfm wrote: »
    Yore Ma's a feminist :D

Maybe she is, we haven't really discussed the subject.

Insult fail. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sympathy bump. Had manflu since Xmas Eve, dying with it but had to work Xmas Day and Stephens Day. Took yesterday and today off work. Bleh. :(

I have it and am in bed with coffee , coke and hula hoops .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Alice1

I will probably regret this, but why hula hoops?

I will probably regret this, but why hula hoops?

Its not like you to be so behind the times , everyone knows that hula hoops mean better health, and if anything this is a health thread.

The good thing is the multipacks have exciting new flavours like salt and vinegar so if your taste buds are funny you can still have a tasty snack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My boyfriend is suffering from a dose of manflu at the moment...

he's driving me demented, the breathing, snuffling, coughing, hacking and the moaning - sweet jesus the moaning....

My sympathy ran out yesterday morning - is there anything I can do to get me through this tough time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

My boyfriend is suffering from a dose of manflu at the moment...

he's driving me demented, the breathing, snuffling, coughing, hacking and the moaning - sweet jesus the moaning....

My sympathy ran out yesterday morning - is there anything I can do to get me through this tough time?

Jesus Christ.

Will you stop acting as this is trivial matter ffs.

This man is suffering in ways that you simple cannot comprehend.

As explained before: testosterone in men's bloodstreams cause a complicated autoimmune reaction to take place that makes the Influenza virus excruciatingly painful for men.

My prayers are with this man, particularly as he is be "cared" for by someone who clearly has no empathy for his plight.

Please let him know that there are men that have also been in his situation and have made it.

I find it helps my other half to prepare lots of comfort food for me

You should also pay a lot of attention to hygene an wear an appropriate uniform a selection of which can be found here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sexy-ann-summers-nurses-uniform-/260710567953?pt=Adult_Fancy_Dress_UK&hash=item3cb38f9011

You will not feel as useless and it may raise a weak smille

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Got hit hard on Sunday night, currently spending my second day in bed; switching from roasting to shivering every few minutes, bad chesty cough, sinuses wrecked, and a demon of a headache. I'd rather be going through childbirth as I reckon it's not half as uncomfortable, :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Had it for the past couple of days. Absolutely zero sympathy from herself which I'm sure isn't helping. She's even buggered off to her sister's for an hour, leaving me to look after our 6 month old and instructions to keep an eye on the cake in the oven.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'm actually dying. The next sneeze could kill me.

:(

I'm with Borderline and Mrs. El Weirdo on this. Yer all wusses.

I'm with Borderline and Mrs. El Weirdo on this. Yer all wusses.

Thats because you don't have a Y chromosome -the one that stands for feelings and emotions.

Oh I have feelings and emotion alright - just no sympathy for you lot cos you only have a wee sniffle. ;)

I think I've cought it - fookin incubus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Oh I have feelings and emotion alright - just no sympathy for you lot cos you only have a wee sniffle. ;)

Seriously, go make your man a sammich.

I think I've cought it - fookin incubus.

LOL :pac:

A woman can't get man-flu.

What you have is just regular influenza, woman-up ffs.

I am having slivers of roast chicken roasted in seasalt.

Nyom , nyom, nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Thankfully im not sick, yet. I have not caught anything this Christmas, and please God it will remain that way.

However, I have become very interested in the concept of "Man Flu". On Christmas Night 2004 I recall falling pray to a splitting headache, which I took panadol for. Forgetting the raison d'etre of Panadol, I assumed the headache was gone and I went to bed none the wiser. Later that night I woke up shivering like nobody's business. It was a very violent shiver, which I simply couldnt stop. Anyhoo, I managed to nod off. The next morning I awoke with a rancid cough (chest infection style), a blocked nose, a head like a ton of bricks, and a complete lack of appetite. I spent the day in the same shape, and crawled off to bed relatively early for a Stephan's night. On the 27th I woke up and pottered around for a few seconds. Initially I felt I was on the mend. Then, the room began to spin and I had to crawl back into bed. I was no better and the symptoms of the 26th persisted. I spent the whole day lying on my back in bed with no ability to do anything but lie in misery. Again, an early bedtime was on my agenda.

My recovery started mid-way through the 28th of December. I was able to move around, and I had a shower. However, I felt nauseous throughout the day. I used black-tea as a means to numb the feeling. The cough was still there, and the head was not 100%. It was late on the 29th that I felt an all-round improvement. The same applied on the 30th. However, at a New Year's Eve party I felt proper nauseous. The same feeling remained with me for most of New Years Day, and I had to choke down a second Christmas Dinner (it is a family tradition for my Aunt to cook a full Christmas Dinner on NY's Day) with the same feeling. I felt better on the 2nd of January, and the last I felt of that flu was another headache on the 6th of January. The 7th of January was the first day I felt the entire thing had left my body, and I was correct.

I was wondering whether this was proper flu or was it simply "man flu". One of my very few talents is my ability to play the "good patient". In fact, my parents never know when I am under the weather. I never tell them, nor do I act as though im sick, even though I may be. The 2004 illness was one of the few times I couldnt but act sick. My body wouldnt let me act any other way. I didnt have the energy, nor did my body offer me much respite from the symptoms which I suffered from. Thus, I would be of the opinion that I had real flu !

Is man flu a small cold which the bad patient plays up ? In that case is it possible that many on this thread have real flu or very nasty colds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

What alice fails to grasp is that man flu is the medical equivalent of
    A Viet cong hit and run attack!
    With no warning it jumps out and strikes a devastating blow
    Then vanishes before you can call in effective fire from the medicinal heavy artillery!

Be careful fellas it's a warzone out there...

TheZohan wrote: »
    Seriously, go make your man a sammich.
    Noooo, won't be makin' my man a sammich - my man does all the cooking

OutlawPete wrote: »
    LOL :pac:

A woman can't get man-flu.

What you have is just regular influenza, woman-up ffs.

I think it may be swine, it's that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Had it a couple of times.

Hard to find sympathy for it - i guess its not THAT bad. Men in general *dont whine so you can bet for sure that if they are during sickness its pretty serious

*There are exceptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Noooo, won't be makin' my man a sammich - my man does all the cooking

Your man is a pussy.

• Advertisement

I think it may be swine, it's that bad.

Is your temperature over 107?

Men become human thermometers when they have the flu, so just place a part of your body in his mouth (any part which is soft and slightly cone shaped should do).

If you your temperature is over 107, you should see his thrid leg rise to an angle of 90 degrees, anything less and you're fine.

Advertisement