Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete block shed

Options
  • 01-01-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I need a garden shed so I thought I might build a concrete block shed myself. Approx. size 12'x 12'
    I have never tried such a job before .
    It will have an apex roof tiled . One side window and one door.
    Is it a difficult job and what are the problem areas.

( I am "reasonably" handy)

On the other hand how much might it cost to get a builder to do it for me with me supplying the materials.

Any ideas.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

also interested in finding out about this.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

my view is to get in some umemployed brickies who can turn their hand to the roof for you too. Cash is king currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Hi all,

if you are anyway handy at all its pretty easy to do. As my Da used to say 'you could teach a monkey to lay blocks'!!

To start you need to dig your trenches or foundations and fill with 12+ inches of concrete.

You then need to calculate how many blocks you need...for example...you say you want your shed 12'x12' and im just gonna say for the craic you want to build it 7' high to the wall plate..that calculates at roughly 290 blocks( these are cavity blocks because sheds are generally built with these). You will also need maybe a double row of solids on the flat to strenghten up your foundations.Make sure you set out the structure and make sure everything is square! Then ya need to start layin blocks! Firstly you need to lay some 13" damp on top of blocks on flat to prevent moisture rising up through the walls. Start by building up a couple of rows on each corner and using line and pins fill in a course at a time going nice and slow and making sure everything is plum. You need to decide on the pitch of your roof so you know how i to go with your peaks on each end.Finish the side walls with a block on flat for the wall plate to go on.

It might seem daunting but its predtty straight forward to be honest!

If you would rather get a price for someone to do it then feel free to PM me your contact details and i could measure up and give you a very decent price!!

Cheers JB:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

where is the best place to buy the blocks if your doin it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Your friendly local builders' provider, they'll probably be only too happy to kit you out with the tools you'll need too. Don't forget to get mortar aswell (that's sand and cement). And some nice plastic sheeting to mix it on. Also some gravel and cement for the concrete foundations. Tools, off the top of my head - gloves (cement and skin were never made to be friends), trowel, builders twine, shovel to mix mortar, spirit level, and maybe one of those new brickie(tm) things that are advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

a pitched roof rather than an apex roof might be easier to do, you will only need one length of guttering too then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

my view is to get in some umemployed brickies who can turn their hand to the roof for you too. Cash is king currently.

that could end so bad for ya. Brickys cant roof..
    ye have to learn roofing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

gsxr1 wrote: »
    that could end so bad for ya. Brickys cant roof..
    ye have to learn roofing .

Agreed....if you hire someone who cant lay blocks and do a simple garage pitched roof. It's simple, dont hire someone who cant, seek previous examples of work from any prospective workman. :rolleyes:

Advertisement