Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda ID Badge

Options
  • 01-01-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Two questions if I can ...

1. What does a Garda ID look like? I've glanced at them in the past but never really had much of a look. If someone comes up to me on the street and says they're a Garda ... I'll challenge them to see their ID but then where will I be? I won't know what I'm looking at. Where can I see a sample short of going down my local Garda station and getting strange looks.

2. Garda can't let their ID out of their sight? Is this true? I worked in retail before where if someone wanted finance they we needed copy of ID etc. A Garda wanted finance and wanted to use their ID. They handed it to me, I looked at it for a while and noticed there was no date of birth on it. So I had to check with my manager. I says to the Garda (who was off duty etc etc as I say, justa normal customer) that I had to check with my manager and moved to walk into the back (tiny shop all things considered). He went mental! Grabbed the ID back from me and I sorta just looked at him funny. He said he's not allowed it out of his hands let alone out of sight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Random wrote: »

1. What does a Garda ID look like? I've glanced at them in the past but never really had much of a look. If someone comes up to me on the street and says they're a Garda ... I'll challenge them to see their ID but then where will I be? I won't know what I'm looking at. Where can I see a sample short of going down my local Garda station and getting strange looks.

See the image for one part of the ID.

Part 2. a picture and some basic information about the Garda. Basically like a ID.

For your second question i have no clue since i am not a Garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I think they like a black leather wallet, with the Garda crest in gold on one side and with the info of the Garda on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Holsten wrote: »
    I think they like a black leather wallet, with the Garda crest in gold on one side and with the info of the Garda on the other side.

That's it in a nutshell and no it shouldn't be taken from your person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I looked at it for a while and noticed there was no date of birth on it.
    We're all 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

My mums been 29 for a while...

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    My mums been 29 for a while...
    Every fibre of my being is fighting my instincts to reply on this one . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Leather wallet made in essex I think. One side has the crest and the other has a coloured card (depending on when you got it) with your photo, name and a few other details. No DOB as theres no reason for it.

Its not allowed leave your hand nevermind your sight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have they changed much? I remember the one which was in a hard case which you flicked open and it had the garda crest on the top and your id (picture, name, etc) in the bottom. The retired member card is similar tho slightly neater.

Sully wrote: »
    The retired member card is similar tho slightly neater.

Come again? There is no such id issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I've had people hand them to me as ID before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

There is no such thing as a 'Retired members card'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Come again? There is no such id issued.

That's not strictly true, retired members are part of the GSRMA and usually have subscriptions to the Síochán magazine and get a GSRMA ID wallet that looks very similar to the current active member's ID, but with different badging, obviously.

It's certainly not an official ID and shouldn't be represented to be such. My father, a retired sergeant in Kerry has the ID wallet still, I'll get a piccy of the badge if I can.

EDIT: Their site is here http://www.gsrma.com/

House wrote: »
    That's not strictly true, retired members are part of the GSRMA and usually have subscriptions to the Síochán magazine and get a GSRMA ID wallet that looks very similar to the current active member's ID, but with different badging, obviously.

It's certainly not an official ID and shouldn't be represented to be such. My father, a retired sergeant in Kerry has the ID wallet still, I'll get a piccy of the badge if I can.

EDIT: Their site is here http://www.gsrma.com/

Hardly a 'retired members' ID though. On that basis my membership card for Westmanstown is a Garda ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I found a Garda ID on the street about a year ago. Handed it into the Garda Station and he grabbed it of me, said "where'd you get that" and went off. Not even a thanks...I know a lot of people who would of kept that...a thanks would of been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I found a Garda ID on the street about a year ago. Handed it into the Garda Station and he grabbed it of me, said "where'd you get that" and went off. Not even a thanks...I know a lot of people who would of kept that...a thanks would of been nice.

Maybe he went off to get you a bunch of flowers or a box of chocolates :P

One day I was checking the equipment in the car and left the Alcoloyser on the roof of it. Got a call do dashed off. A few minutes a lady comes into the station to hand it in. The S.O. got a shock.

THank christ she did. Imagine the paper I would have to write on :o

Back on topic, would the ID not be an older version than the one we have? I remember my dads was something like what Sully describes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

TheNog wrote: »
    Back on topic, would the ID not be an older version than the one we have? I remember my dads was something like what Sully describes.

Sounds like the one we had in the mid 90s. It was like going around with a CD case in your back pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jackregan

Perhaps your post should be moved to the 'politer gardai' thread. It seems to fit the criteria of ignorance and general lack of manners :rolleyes:

Fair play to you for your prompt action and display of public spirit.

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Sounds like the one we had in the mid 90s. It was like going around with a CD case in your back pocket.
    It was like the meggle i'd get for the "at least he turns up for training" award each year at the "funkshun".

Thanks Gary.
    You're Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

TheNog wrote: »
    One day I was checking the equipment in the car and left the Alcoloyser on the roof of it. Got a call do dashed off. A few minutes a lady comes into the station to hand it in. The S.O. got a shock.

THank christ she did. Imagine the paper I would have to write on :o
    Totally off topic, but you reminded me of a friend who worked as a service engineer for an EPOS/cash register company. He drove from Rathmines to St. Stephens Green with a full register, cash drawer and all, on the roof of his car. Its only when he stopped he realised why he was getting strange looks while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭macguru

Not quite the current issue but recent enough, current issue is very similar, there seems to be two badge designs for the warrant cards, one with the light and dark blue enameled badge and one with just the dark blue enamelling (probably different issue dates one before the two colours became the Garda "corporate" identity colours).

418_16.jpg

2. Garda can't let their ID out of their sight? Is this true? I worked in retail before where if someone wanted finance they we needed copy of ID etc. A Garda wanted finance and wanted to use their ID. They handed it to me, I looked at it for a while and noticed there was no date of birth on it. So I had to check with my manager. I says to the Garda (who was off duty etc etc as I say, justa normal customer) that I had to check with my manager and moved to walk into the back (tiny shop all things considered). He went mental! Grabbed the ID back from me and I sorta just looked at him funny. He said he's not allowed it out of his hands let alone out of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

macguru wrote: »
    Not quite the current issue but recent enough, current issue is very similar, there seems to be two badge designs for the warrant cards, one with the light and dark blue enameled badge and one with just the dark blue enamelling (probably different issue dates one before the two colours became the Garda "corporate" identity colours).

418_16.jpg

is that an ebay pic :eek:

bo-bo wrote: »
    is that an ebay pic :eek:

Now that would be scary - It's a pic from the classifieds of the Police Memorabilia Collectors Club in the UK.

Ebay are actually pretty good at removing any Garda, PSNI or UK police force current or recent issue items (they do allow some items as long as any flashes, logos, serial numbers and lettering are removed) - once they are advised of the status of the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

macguru wrote: »
    Now that would be scary - It's a pic from the classifieds of the Police Memorabilia Collectors Club in the UK.

Ebay are actually pretty good at removing any Garda, PSNI or UK police force current or recent issue items (they do allow some items as long as any flashes, logos, serial numbers and lettering are removed) - once they are advised of the status of the item.

lol. here was me thinking that some poor member was in such financial difficulty that he was auctioning off his equipment :D

bo-bo wrote: »
    lol. here was me thinking that some poor member was in such financial difficulty that he was auctioning off his equipment :D

ROTFL :D

No amount of money would be worth the paperwork involved in a lost warrant card...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

Do the Garda refer to their id card as a warrant card or ID badge?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nobody refers to it as a warrant card.

Its your badge or official id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Or your disco pass :D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Try that up here and it becomes your coffin nail.
    Or your disco pass :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Ok, Ok, no-one calls it a warrant card (reminder to self - stay off the UK force sites) however as far as I know the Garda Ombudsman's ID cards are officially called Warrant Cards as per the Garda Síochána Act 2005, Section 73, I have thankfully never seen one so don't even know if it's similar or if they have an official badge.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Nobody refers to it as a warrant card.

Its your badge or official id.

Advertisement