Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garage for childminding use

• 01-01-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

hi i built a shed at the back of my garden last year, well to be honest it ended up like a little bungalow by the time my hubby finished, it has a toilet in it, well its never been used as we ran out of money to finish the insides, floor and plastering..what i want to know is can i use it to mind 5 perschool children in it if i finish it as i have lost my job and need to do something, i was going to mind them in my home, but this would be ideal if i set it up right..thanks..btw i live in a small housung estate and i have a side enterance:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You'll need planning permission for change of use.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dollyk wrote: »
    hi i built a shed at the back of my garden last year, well to be honest it ended up like a little bungalow by the time my hubby finished, it has a toilet in it, well its never been used as we ran out of money to finish the insides, floor and plastering..what i want to know is can i use it to mind 5 perschool children in it if i finish it as i have lost my job and need to do something, i was going to mind them in my home, but this would be ideal if i set it up right..thanks..btw i live in a small housung estate and i have a side enterance:confused:

Firstly, planning is required. This will be tough as there are regulations and requirements regarding room sizes, parking, play space, kitchen space etc

secondly a fire safety certificate is required.. any public building needs to comply fully with fire regs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Beat me to it. yes, as smashey said, you will need permission.

You should also ensure that the existing structure does not require permission (see Q.7 here) otherwise you would have to apply for retention and change of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

The funny thing about "parking" is
    that you'll notice that none of the creche's your visit (spy) upon have it,
    but the county council will expect you to have more parking than Dublin airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Contact your local County Childcare Co-ordinator, as grants are available.

He / She will also help advise on Child numbers, planning, fire certs, HSC requirements etc. There are strict requirements regarding child / supervisor ratio's, floor space ratio's and training.
    Changing the garage is an excellent idea and will be possible.

Most Local Authorities look favourably on this type of development - provided all Regulations are complied with. There is still a shortage of Childcare facilities.

Contact local VEC for PLC / Childcare courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Don't forget about the cost of insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We have probably put her off the idea by now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

omg, i didnt think it was soooooooooo complicated to be honest, maybe ill just turn my sitting room into a playroom, as its my understanding that you can mind up to 5 children in your home as long as they are not under two, so thats it the hubby can have the shed with his sky so he can watch bloody fly fishing all day, and ill take over the sitting room and put little posters of nemo up:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

It worth investigating - the grants will finish the garage and provide play equipment, toys, furniture etc.

Planning isn't that complicated or expensive.

Its a great idea.. give it a go!

Advertisement