Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experienced opinion...

Options
  • 01-01-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi all,

looking for general advice..............I work in Dublin from Monday to Friday (staying in Dublin Sunday night to Thursday work and generally leaving for home - Cork - on Friday from lunchtime) - I only moved to Dublin in March, so was a bit 'green' in relation to the geography of the place and rents, etc (as I own my own house in Cork, which I stay in at weekends and holidays)...........since I took up my post in Dublin (Belfield)......I've been staying in Dun Laoghaire at €700 per calendar month, but now I'm thinking there's much better value for money for my time in Dublin - thing is I'd still be unsure of convenient locations to move to (I'm not wild about being town-side of UCD), so I'm thinking Cornelscourt, Foxrock, that kind of direction - what do people reckon to these areas?????

Or if anyone is looking for someone, etc etc, can you point me in the direction - I only want to share with one other, owner-occupier preferred and with ensuite or dedicated bathroom - must have parking...........Danke!

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- you're not doing badly @ EUR700 in Dun Laoghaire- you might get slightly better- but if you're intent in staying in Dun Laoghaire/Foxrock etc- you are going to pay top dollar. If you're willing to explore further down the road- Stillorgan/Cabinteely even as far as Bray- you'll notice big drops in the rent.

If you only want to stay with one other, in an owner occupied context, this will normally translate into someone trying to maximise their use of the Rent-a-room scheme- whereby they can earn up to 10k tax free per annum. This translates into ~835 per month- which is in fact a good deal more than you're currently paying (but would include all bills (apart from groceries) etc.

Swings and roundabouts- you may be better off renting an apartment a little further out all on your own- but I don't think you're doing too badly as is, given what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote: »
    (but would include all bills (apart from groceries) etc.
    Just to be clear, the Rent-a-Room scheme limit covers any payment from lodger to owner.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote: »
    Just to be clear, the Rent-a-Room scheme limit covers any payment from lodger to owner.

Interesting...does that mean that if someone is renting a room for €835 per month they should make sure that their lodger pays all or their part of the bill instead of having the bill in the owner's name and getting cash to pay it?

Alternatively, does it allow for a sneaky tax saving if someone takes €835 for room and all bills instead of €635 for rent and €200 for bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No, it prevents anything like that. While you get the 10k tax relief, you can't write off any expenses.

Its a generous scheme, no a stupidly generous scheme. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cjdun1 wrote: »
    I've been staying in Dun Laoghaire at €700 per calendar month
    You getting a double bedroom? Did a search on daft.ie and most double bedrooms in Clonskeagh ask for around the €700 mark.

This one http://www.daft.ie/3486318 is only asking for €525 for a double bedroom down the road from Belfield. Since you work in Belfield (which, last time I checked is right next to Clonskeagh), I don't know why you're not considering Clonskeagh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement