Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Squad/Ireland XV for Six Nations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hes an ex Ulster prop that plays for Exeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Brewster wrote: »
    He (Humphreys) destroyed Munster at Thomond on his own....
    No he didn't. This is an easy question really: Where exactly were Munster truly beaten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Goose81 wrote: »
    I dont even think im gona bother watching these 6 nations.

Good then we wont have to listen to continuous provincal sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

No he didn't. This is an easy question really: Where exactly were Munster truly beaten?

Course he did, was responsible for two or three of tries from what I can remeber due to individual brilliance. Im a Leinster fan, and what exactly has Jonathon Sexton achieved this season? Im actually shocked at that call. Its such an easy call to make...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Hey Ruggie, can we merge the two Ireland Squad threads? Its bad enough having to read the same moany old sods once but repeating themselves twice??
    Merged.....I'm one of those moany old sods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Ive figured it out. On the Wednesday before the games he will have 15 players on a team 4 subs each play against each other and the winning team gets to play that weekend, no?

sm.org wrote: »
    Good then we wont have to listen to continuous provincal sarcasm.

Why would I say anything about provincial when commenting on a live ireland match.

Its not eally good either.
    The Irfu are gona lose money when people stop watching and going to matches.Especially Ulster folk who you know are just gona get screwed again.

Why would I watch the match when the selection process in unfair?

Someone please explain to me how Dowling got into the main team and Johne murphy didnt make the A's?
    Clearly picking favourites.

Where is Pollock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Paddy Wallace is a super player, and does not deserve that level of sarcasm to be honest! How Ian Humphreys is not is squad is a joke. He destroyed Munster at Thomond on his own....

Look, we saw Ian Humphreys 'destroy' Munster in Thomond with Leicester 2 years ago!

In all seriousness, Ian Humphreys is much better to actually get a game against the Saxons instead of collecting splinters for the French match. There is no way he is going to make his international debut against France. That is a kindness to him (and wise - his confidence could be destroyed in front of 82K people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paddy Wallace is a super player, and does not deserve that level of sarcasm to be honest! How Ian Humphreys is not is squad is a joke. He destroyed Munster at Thomond on his own....

Not at outhalf though. Kidos has basically already let everyone know he has no intertest in trying out a new outhalf and Wallace will be in the 22 as a sub OH who will get little to no game time. Wallace is not a good OH, he is a first centre and that's where he should stay.

This squad looks awful from a backs point of view, he's basically picked a utility squad with the majority of backs able to play various positions. There 2 out and out wingers and 1 of them is no where near international standard as a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ive figured it out. On the Wednesday before the games he will have 15 players on a team 4 subs each play against each other and the winning team gets to play that weekend, no?

John Andress is to ref it? joke.

Anyone know much about this guy? Good to see they are making some inroads into the prop problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

Goose81 wrote: »

Someone please explain to me how Dowling got into the main team and Johne murphy didnt make the A's?
    Clearly picking favourites.

dowling in the squad because he deserves his chance, horgan should have been dropped, john murphy be thinking wat does he have to do to pick me,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Feel sorry for Johne Murphy and Ian Humphreys. Sexton beggars belief if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Look, we saw Ian Humphreys 'destroy' Munster in Thomond with Leicester 2 years ago!

In all seriousness, Ian Humphreys is much better to actually get a game against the Saxons instead of collecting splinters for the French match. There is no way he is going to make his international debut against France. That is a kindness to him (and wise - his confidence could be destroyed in front of 82K people).

So would you prefer Paddy Wallace at 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Just a quick breakdown on the squad and positions - I put players in more than one position in italics, and A squad players in bold. I'm pretty sure i've made a few slips with silly things, so feel free to correct me.

One thing that strikes me - why do we have a need for 7 second rowers in the squad? Ok I know Ryan and O'Driscoll CAN play backrow, but its just ridiculuous.

1. Loosehead

Cian Healy (Clontarf - Leinster)*
    Marcus Horan (Shannon - Munster)
    Tom Court (Ballymena - Ulster)*
    Mike Ross (Harlequins)*
    John Andress (Exeter)

2. Hooker
    Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)
    Jerry Flannery (Shannon - Munster)
    Bernard Jackman (Clontarf - Leinster)
    Sean Cronin (Buccaneers -Connacht)

3.Tighthead
    John Hayes (Bruff- Munster)
    Tom Court (Ballymena - Ulster)*
    Mike Ross (Harlequins)*
    John Andress (Exeter) (?)

4 & 5. Second Row
    Ryan Caldwell (Dungannon - Ulster)*
    Bob Casey (London Irish)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)
    Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Malcolm O’Kelly (St.Mary’s College - Leinster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon - Munster)

6. Blindside
    Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)
    Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Alan Quinlan (Shannon - Munster)
    John Muldoon (Galwegians - Connacht)
    Neil Best (Northampton)

7. Openside
    Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
    David Wallace (Garryowen - Munster)
    Sean O’Brien (Clontarf - Leinster)

8. Number Eight
    Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)
    Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    David Wallace (Garryowen - Munster)

9. Scrumhalf
    Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin - Munster)
    Eoin Reddan (Wasps)
    Peter Stringer (Shannon - Munster)
    Isaac Boss (Ballymena - Ulster)

10. Outhalf
    Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College - Leinster)*
    Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Ian Humphreys (Ballymena - Ulster)

11. Left Wing
    Ian Dowling (Shannon - Munster)*
    Robert Kearney (UCD - Leinster)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College - Leinster)
    Keith Earls (Young Munster - Munster)

12. Inside Centre
    Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)
    Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    Gavin Duffy (Galwegians - Connacht)

Keith Matthews (Buccaneers - Connacht)

13. Outside Centre
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster)
    Keith Earls (Young Munster - Munster)
    Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)*

14. Right Wing
    Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
    Shane Horgan (Boyne - Leinster)
    Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)

15. Fullback
    Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College - Leinster)
    Robert Kearney (UCD - Leinster)
    Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
    Gavin Duffy (Galwegians - Connacht)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Criminal Decisions :
    Dowling in main squad,
    J.Murphy not even making the list,
    Toner not even making the list,
    Sexton ahead of Humphreys,
    MOD and MOK but no ****in Toner

Toner decision and J.Murphy decision are just infuriating whilst the Sexton decision is mind baffling.

outwest wrote: »
    dowling in the squad because he deserves his chance, horgan should have been dropped, john murphy be thinking wat does he have to do to pick me,

Move back to Ireland, well Munster or Leinster, dont bother with Connacht or Ulster because it's nearly as bad as being in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Yes, Paddy Wallace has played great all Season...at 12.

Point is, pick a reserve outhalf on form and who will actually be effective coming into a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

So would you prefer Paddy Wallace at 10?

No, but I think we can continue to hope for one more game that ROG doesn't get injured, while Ian Humphreys actually gets to play a game.

The following week, he could be in the main squad - which is what happened to Tommy Bowe last year.

What's amazing is how guys like Mick O'Driscoll are getting in ahead of Toner... That's such a regressive step. I feel sorry for the young lad. He's played really well this season, and doesn't even get a look in.

Ian Dowling over Johne Murphy is one that in my mind at least seems utterly mad.

good point, chuckey but johney is playin with a top side and scoreing trys for fun, just because a player plays for connacht or ulster or englasd doesnt meen that the should be excluded from representing there country,

does anyone know who the captain is

• Advertisement

good point, chuckey but johney is playin with a top side and scoreing trys for fun, just because a player plays for connacht or ulster or englasd doesnt meen that the should be excluded from representing there country,

does anyone know who the captain is

Tell that to Declan Kidney, Eddie O'Sullivan or the IRFU. :(

What's amazing is how guys like Mick O'Driscoll are getting in ahead of Toner... That's such a regressive step. I feel sorry for the young lad. He's played really well this season, and doesn't even get a look in.

Ian Dowling over Johne Murphy is one that in my mind at least seems utterly mad.

i thaught toner was injured and that why he not been picked, why is mal in the squad, he about to get a few week ban,

wat a bigger disgrace is horgan is in the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

What upsets me is just how safe Kidney has played it by putting Munster players such as Dowling and MOD ahead of better players such as J.Murphy and Toner on the basis that Kidney is familiar with them. It completely smacks of EOS. No one here can make an argument for Dowling and MOD ahead of Murphy and Toner because there isn't one other than Kidney playing it cautious, playing it safe, playing it EOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Everyone here is having a go at Dowling I must say im suprised all iv read over the past few weeks is ''picking form players'' and put it this way if theres one spot to be picked between Dowling and Horgan I know who id pick and it certainly wouldnt be fcukin Horgan, anyone that has been watching munster this year and doent appreciate what Dowling brings to a team we'll quite frankly hasnt a clue :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Kidney has basically picked everyone again....non event of a squad imo

+1

Everyone here is having a go at Dowling I must say im suprised all iv read over the past few weeks is ''picking form players'' and put it this way if theres one spot to be picked between Dowling and Horgan I know who id pick and it certainly wouldnt be fcukin Horgan, anyone that has been watching munster this year and doent appreciate what Dowling brings to a team we'll quite frankly hasnt a clue :mad:

I agree that Horgan has been exceptionally poor.

In his defence he usually plays very well for ireland and is one of a handfull of out and out wingers.

He is also very physical,so there are merits to picking him for certain matches.

Horgan was always gona get picked whether anyone likes it or not.

But if you were gona introduce a new wing into the main squad then johne Murphy should be the man as he is better than Downling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd kinda agree with you here Premierstone, shaggys been playing woefully and shouldnt be in that squad. Dowling i'm still unsure of the idea of him at international level - hopefully he gets a good run out, and I think its a bit unfair for everyone to be targetting Dowling to the level they are when there are much much odder decisions - i.e. the sheer number of second rowers we seem to have in our squad. In fact, just under 20% of that 39 player squad are second rower players.

He brings nothing in the way of a try scoring threat which is what you want from a winger(well for most coach anyway, EOS and Kidos are probaly different kettles of fish). I think having Dowling or Horgan aheado on Murphy is a travesty. I dont who I'd give the bullet to instead of him, but atleast with Horgan there's a decent chance he get a try, with dowling there isnt.

i thaught toner was injured and that why he not been picked, why is mal in the squad, he about to get a few week ban,

wat a bigger disgrace is horgan is in the squad
    Sure Mal stepped on someone's head on Saturday and will be banned, why pick him?

Horgan does seem a mad pick. He's shown one or two signs of form lately, but that Leinster back line is playing so badly (*sobs*) you could barely justifu picking anyone but Kearney, BoD and Fitz, with D'arcy in because he's been injured and not part of the shíte.
    What upsets me is just how safe Kidney has played it by putting Munster players such as Dowling and MOD ahead of better players such as J.Murphy and Toner on the basis that Kidney is familiar with them. It completely smacks of EOS. No one here can make an argument for Dowling and MOD ahead of Murphy and Toner because there isn't one other than Kidney playing it cautious, playing it safe, playing it EOS.
    Are you surprised?

This is why we needed a foreign coach. If a guy whose spent years working with one of the provinces gets the top job, of course he'll call on those players with whom he's most experienced.

I think Dowling's shít. He always seems to have a dodgy game when I see Munster play. (No idea about the Sale game, I was in London and missed it). As for Horgan, you're right, he's not been much cop this season either. He's been magnificent in the green jersey in previous years, one can only hope for a repeat of such form to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Dowling Deserves his chance. Always consistant and scores and creates his far share of trys.

What I don't understand is the Irish Coach picking SO many players from the European Champions. Why would he do that!?! :-)

Advertisement