Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Squad/Ireland XV for Six Nations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Unless there is an injury to O'Gara or Humphreys, Keatley is a fair bit away from even being considered for international selection.
    I know. Keatley's nowhere near ready.
    They're both only 29 yrs old. Hardly at the end of the careers. They'll be 32 when the next world cup takes place and I can guarantee you O'Connell at least doesn't plan on missing that one.
    Martin Johnson was 33 yrs old when he lifted the RWC and for those last three seasons, he was in the form of his life.

I thought they were 30?

Martin Johnson may have been 33 when he lifted the RWC, but the lack of preperation in regards to familiarising new players with international rugby led to England suffering from probably their worst run of form ever. I'd hope we avoid that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

They're both only 29 yrs old. Hardly at the end of the careers. They'll be 32 when the next world cup takes place and I can guarantee you O'Connell at least doesn't plan on missing that one.
    Martin Johnson was 33 yrs old when he lifted the RWC and for those last three seasons, he was in the form of his life.

Yes but they are horriblely out of form, DOC is a shadow man and i cant recall many internationals against top opposition where POC completely dominated his opposite man, he lives up in HC but he's made look ordinary in international games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Goose81

Imo if DOC gets in the team it is unfair and sends out the wrong message.Casey,Cullen and others deserve a shot ahead of this guy who is a shadow at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I really feel people are clutching at straws when it comes to Gordon Darcy.

Even if he comes back from this latest injury and returns to his 2007 form i think its way off the mark for what is expected off the Irish team. I'd way prefer to see Earls or Fitgerald play instead and be on the bench above Darcy.

I feel Darcy will never reach the form he had in 2004 again*. Aslo i feel O'Driscoll has played nowhere near the form of his earlier career and is living off his name as beening considered world class (I'm taking about O'Driscoll's ability going forward and not in defence which is excellant). That world class partnership is gone and i dont think its coming back.

I think its time to let some of the names go and try out some new talent.

*Past performance is not indicative of future results

Hazys wrote: »

Even if he comes back from this latest injury and returns to his 2007 form i think its way off the mark for what is expected off the Irish team. I'd way prefer to see Earls or Fitgerald play instead and be on the bench above Darcy.

I feel Darcy will never reach the form he had in 2004 again*. Aslo i feel O'Driscoll has played nowhere near the form of his earlier career and is living off his name as beening considered world class (I'm taking about O'Driscoll's ability going forward and not in defence which is excellant). That world class partnership is gone and i dont think its coming back.

Well said i think its time we start reforming and going for future talent and stop whipping the old guard even more.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »

He is the joint top scorer in the heineken cup and scored a cracker against wasps.He is undoubtedly the best 13 in Ireland and Britain and our best player by a mile,he is well deserving of a place.You obviously have not been waching him this year!
    Also even an off form ODriscoll is still better than 90% of centres.
    As for people saying his pace is gone:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Goose81 wrote: »
    Imo if DOC gets in the team it is unfair and sends out the wrong message.Casey,Cullen and others deserve a shot ahead of this guy who is a shadow at the mo.

You think? Cullen is injured and most would agree has played poorly since made blue captain. I watch a lot of GP and I think caseys levels have really dropped this season.

I agree with you that DOC is way off form but for me no one is really putting up their hand, please nobody say Devon Toner.

sm.org wrote: »
    You think? Cullen is injured and most would agree has played poorly since made blue captain. I watch a lot of GP and I think caseys levels have really dropped this season.

I agree with you that DOC is way off form but for me no one is really putting up their hand, please nobody say Devon Toner.

Yeah I agree about cullen being injured,he would have to come back and play a blinder.

I dont watch much prem but I am always impressed by Casey and I think he deserves a shot.Also isnt there a couple of young lads in ulster?

Toner is well too young but will be a good option for the future because of his height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Goose81 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree about cullen being injured,he would have to come back and play a blinder.

I dont watch much prem but I am always impressed by Casey and I think he deserves a shot.Also isnt there a couple of young lads in ulster?

Toner is well too young but will be a good option for the future because of his height.

Yeah there are a few interesting players coming out of Ulster. I like Caldwell, he's a bit too hot headed at the mo for my liking.

Donnacha Ryan cant be far from shifting DOC out of the Munster team. Toners a good player, my main concern is that the Leinster scrum appears considerably weaker when he plays as opposed to when MOL/Cullen are in it. We hardly have the strongest scrum as is so a strong scrummaging 4/5 combo is a must for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

what about the lad Keatley a fly half from connacht he looks like a good player and deserves some playing time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

I do believe its time to experiment a little and give some of the younger players a go this is my team where I tried to combine experience and good prospects for the future.

1.Healy (I think its time we threw him in)
    2.Best
    3.Hayes
    4.Toner (Playing better than DOC and is one for the future)
    5.POC
    6.Ferris
    7.Pollock (With O'Brien getting some playing time)
    8.Wallace
    9. O'Leary/Murphy (If Murphy's form can continue then he might pip O'Leary)
    10.ROG
    11.Earls
    12.BOD
    13.Cave
    14.Fitzgerald
    15.Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 24,223 ✭✭✭✭phog

I do believe its time to experiment a little and give some of the younger players a go this is my team where I tried to combine experience and good prospects for the future.

1.Healy (I think its time we threw him in)
    2.Best
    3.Hayes
    4.Toner (Playing better than DOC and is one for the future)
    5.POC
    6.Ferris
    7.Pollock (With O'Brien getting some playing time)
    8.Wallace
    9. O'Leary/Murphy (If Murphy's form can continue then he might pip O'Leary)
    10.ROG
    11.Earls
    12.BOD
    13.Cave
    14.Fitzgerald
    15.Kearney

Not knocking your selection but you do realise that we're throwing away any possibility of winning the 6Ns or Triple Crown if we go with that team, if on the other hand it's all for building for the future then I say go for it and suffer our losses for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

1)Healy
    2)Cornin
    3)ROSS
    4)Ryan
    5)Caldwell
    6)Ferris
    7)O Brien
    8)Muldoon
    9)Reddan
    10)Humpreys
    11)J Murphy
    12)Cave
    13)Fitz
    14)Dowling
    15)Kearney

For Italy Scot games.These guys need game time!Think its time Mike Ross was used for hayes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

liam12989 wrote: »
    For Italy Scot games.These guys need game time!Think its time Mike Ross was used for hayes
    Why "For Italy Scot games" exactly? They're a given result are they?

yes these games should be for a team like Ireland.For godsake man when are these guys going to get meaningful game time if not in these games!

Why "For Italy Scot games" exactly? They're a given result are they?

Tbh id like a young side picked with a mix of the old guard and keep them throughout the tournament.

We'v gone the 6N with basically the same side now for god knows how many years and really its all come up short, too many players are living on reputations which they cant bring up to international level or are just loosing it. Its time that the form players should be picked regardless what province they play for and what country they play there trade.

I couldnt care less if we fall apart this 6N if at least we play some good rugby that would at least be a step in the right direction, RWC place is secured now its time to rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

if kidney lost to italy the knifes would be out for him...they are barely sheathed as it is.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    if kidney lost to italy the knifes would be out for him...they are barely sheathed as it is.

Anything to get ride of the Gaffney i guess, maybe Knox might be invited back

Like we really have to be thinking next world cup.
    mike Ross and Cian healy=Hayes wont be round for rwc
    will wallace be able for test level?
    BOD D,arcy will these guys be up to it??
    Pollock,O brien at 7

Why not bring in Cave,johne murphy(leicster top try scorer this year), and for godsake Kearney at FB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,223 ✭✭✭✭phog

yes these games should be for a team like Ireland.For godsake man when are these guys going to get meaningful game time if not in these games!

Agree and disagree - if we beat France then we are over one huge hurdle in winning the 6Ns, if we risk a new team against Italy and Scotland they do a Connacht on us then can you imagine the outcry from Joe Public?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

yes these games should be for a team like Ireland
    "Are" and "should be" are entirely different.
    For godsake man when are these guys going to get meaningful game time if not in these games!
    When their time comes.
    The current coaching staff have been in charge for three internationals and you expect them to sweep the entire squad out for games against Scotland and Italy?? LOL
    They're trying to build a squad. Not exterminate it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. O Driscoll
    11. Earls
    10. O Gara
    9. O Leary
    1. Horan
    2. Best
    3. Hayes
    4. O Callaghan
    5. O Connell (c)
    6. Ferris
    7. O Brien
    8. Wallace

Subs: Best, Buckley, Ryan, Leamy, Stringer, Keatley/Humphries, Wallace

Does building a squad not mean giving players meaningful game time.Instead of playing the same 16,17,18 guys every week.Like everyone knew In EOS time it was harder to get out of time then in it.
    For god sake give Humpreys,Keatley game time what if something happens to ROG.

And Mike Ross deserves a go.Hayes is nearly 50

We are probably the slowest out of all the NH Unions to introduce new players into the international scene and will pay for it. The old guard played the last 6N and what happened? Worst finish since when? When the likes of England, Scotland and Wales are giving new caps to prospects and investing in people with 10 caps we go about just adding a few more to old and trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

bleg wrote: »
    15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. O Driscoll
    11. Earls
    10. O Gara
    9. O Leary
    1. Horan
    2. Best
    3. Hayes
    4. O Callaghan
    5. O Connell (c)
    6. Ferris
    7. O Brien
    8. Wallace

Subs: Best, Buckley, Ryan, Leamy, Stringer, Keatley/Humphries, Wallace

I agree, Best should do a great job from both the bench and starting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

oops, meant flannery on the bench. doesn't matter which one of them starts or subs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Fitzgerald
    12. O Driscoll
    11. Earls
    10. Humphreys Jnr (O'Gara great in red, rubbish in green)
    9. O Leary
    1. Horan
    2. Flannery
    3. Hayes
    4. Toner
    5. O Connell
    6. Ferris
    7. O Brien
    8. Wallace

Jackman really deserves at least the bench spot.The guy is immence for Leinster.His throwing may have been dodgy in the past but his play in the loose is superior to both others.

As an impact sub he is the best we have,not selecting him for at least the bench sends out the wrong messages to players,whos aim is to represent their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jam_on_toast

I know. Keatley's nowhere near ready.

He is ready, its not that big a deal to play international rugby. Dan Biggar is playing for Wales, Trinh-Duc is playing for France. He is physically well capable of it, tackles big guys (Elsom yesterday).

What's the problem??

I don't understand why we are so conservative when it comes to picking young players??

It's head wrecking. If we don't start picking new options to start at 10 in the next year or so, we are gonna end up in the same mess that was RWC 07. Picking them the year of the next WC is too late. Now is the time to give these guys experience. Even if it means taking one step backwards, hopefully it will bring us two steps forward come the next WC.

• Advertisement

For his own sake he needs to stop his ridiculous routine.It is going to hamper him imo when 80,000 people start counting his warmup.

Advertisement