Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Squad/Ireland XV for Six Nations?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Moncti48

This may or may not be of interest to people, I have prepared a Depth Chart for the Irish team. For any of you who follow American Football you'll know what a depth chart is, for anyone who's unsure it basically shows the starters in each position and then lists possible replacements below them.

What I have done is taken the Irish Team vs Argentina and used that as the "Starters" then listed alternatives below them. FYI I'm never sure of the difference between 11 & 14, so If i've listed a 14 under the 11 column or vice versa please excuse me. Also I have assumed 4 & 5 are interchangeable.

If i've left someone out please let me know and I'll Update it.

Good post............ Im not how you got the info, but does this take into account injuries, e.g. Leamy and Cullen who where out for a long period,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Goose81

Cian Healy did well against vickery yesterday before the scrums went uncontested.

Considering he is a freak in terms of size,strength for his age,I would honestly start him ahead of Horan.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Moncti48 wrote: »
    Good post............ Im not how you got the info, but does this take into account injuries, e.g. Leamy and Cullen who where out for a long period,

I should have pointed out that I haven't listed the reserves in any particular order. For instance at 10 I have listed O'Gara followed by Sexton, that doesn't mean I believe Secton to be second choice. I'm just listing players who could realistically play for Ireland in these positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

15 Rob Kearney
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Fitzgerald
    12 BOD
    11 Earls
    10 ROG
    9 Reddan

1 Horan
    2 Flannery- although he loks a prat on youtube
    3 Hayes
    4 O' Callaghan
    5 POC
    6 Ferris
    7 Wallace
    8 Heaslip

Bench
    16 Healy
    17 Rory Best
    18 Donnacha Ryan
    19 Nial Ronan
    20 Tomas O'Leary
    21 Ian Keatling
    22 Murphy

FYI i put keatling in in the place of wallace/Humphreys as he is a very steady kicker, young and in my opinion, is the player who cause easily replace O'Gara if given the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

freyners wrote: »
    15 Rob Kearney
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Fitzgerald
    12 BOD
    11 Earls
    10 ROG
    9 Reddan

1 Horan
    2 Flannery SOOOO much better than best
    3 Hayes
    4 O' Callaghan
    5 POC
    6 Ferris
    7 Wallace
    8 Heaslip

Bench
    16 Healy
    17 Rory Best
    18 Donnacha Ryan
    19 Nial Ronan
    20 Tomas O'Leary
    21 Ian Keatling
    22 Murphy

FYI i put keatling in in the place of wallace/Humphreys as he is a very steady kicker, young and in my opinion, is the player who cause easily replace O'Gara if given the chance

Who is this Keatling never heard of him must be a surprise contender all of a sudden......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

dunno how you can justify heaslip starting, he's had a very poor season, ditto reddan leamy and o leary will start at 8 and 9.

earls at inside centre, fitz at 11 and o driscoll at outside centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

freyners wrote: »
    15 Rob Kearney
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Fitzgerald
    12 BOD, wallace is doing a good job at 12, him and fizt, bod needs a good game next week
    11 Earls
    10 ROG
    9 Reddan, **** no wont even be the sub tom, boos on bench

1 Horan.
    2 Flannery- although he loks a prat on youtube, best is the form hooker in ireland and he been hiting his men in the lineout
    3 Hayes
    4 O' Callaghan
    5 POC
    6 Ferris
    7 Wallace
    8 Heaslip

Bench
    16 Healy
    17 Rory Best
    18 Donnacha Ryan, caldwell he's not spending is time getting blisters
    19 Nial Ronan, no after his performance against connacht and ulster, not a chance
    20 Tomas O'Leary
    21 Ian Keatling, i wud have humpty, playin very good at the mo
    22 Murphy, which one i hope u meen johnney

at least horgan hasnt been mentioned, dont be suprised if dowling starts a few games, never has a bad game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Looking at a young team for the future...lots of decent talent coming through...no obvious long term solution at hooker though. Would be amazing to see a team like that get a game...shame about the Canada match, maybe we could organise a simular game next Autum to give a team like this a run out.

1. Healy
    2. ?
    3. Ross
    4. Toner / Ryan
    5. Caldwell
    6. Ferris / O'Brien
    7. Pollock / Ronan
    8. Heaslip / O'Brien

9. O'Leary
    10. Keatley
    11. Fitzgerald
    12. Cave
    13. Earls
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chuckie1001

Might be controversial but what can you do. think choices give a chance for some dynamic play and a chance to change things up with the Elvs.

Rob Kearney
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Earls
    12 BOD Lost alot of his attacking prowess, but an expert in defence
    11 Dowling just above Fitz, i think they ll interchange
    10 ROG
    9 O'Leary most consistant scrum half, and his ball delivery is getting faster, great defence also

1 Horan add s an option as he can play on the wing aswell :)
    2 Flannery
    3 Hayes
    4 O' Callaghan
    5 POC should be captain and let BOD do what he does best play
    6 Ferris Jennings is to much of a liability
    7 Wallace if you could clone him i d put him at 7 and 8
    8 Leamy seems to be back on form, heaslips penalty count is to high

Bench
    16 Cian Healy Beast, one for the future
    17 Rory Best Jackmans line outs have best in front of him
    18 Bob Casey pitty he plays in england prob wont make it, but quality
    19 Jamie Heaslip
    20 Eoin Readan calm head to come in and close out a game
    21 Ian Humphries
    22 Luke Fizgerald will change around with dowling J murphy wont get near team

Would like to see in training squad
    Sean Cronin
    Sean O Brian
    Cave
    Mike Ross
    Ian Keatley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

outwest wrote: »
    at least horgan hasnt been mentioned, dont be suprised if dowling starts a few games, never has a bad game

Dowling is not international standard. At all.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Looking at a young team for the future...lots of decent talent coming through...no obvious long term solution at hooker though.
    2. ?

fogarty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

can i ask how u know that, he never been givin a chance to proof himself,

Dowling is a quality ball carrier and gives away very little ball, i dont know the actual facts but i would say is error count is alot lower to tthe other names mentioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leamy is not a great 8 - he should be battling for 6 with Ferris. Either Heaslip or Wallace would be a better bet at 8.
    I would like to see Court get a game ahead of Horan to see what he can do. I've been very disappointed in Horan for most of the last two seasons for Ireland.
    I'd have Cullen at least on the bench, he is easily the third best second row available to Ireland.

Something along the lines of

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. O'Driscoll
    12. D'arcy/Wallace
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. O'Gara
    9. O'Leary
    8. Heaslip
    7. Wallace
    6. Ferris
    5. O'Callaghan
    4. O'Connell
    3. Hayes
    2. Best
    1. Court

16. Flannery 17. Horan 18. Cullen 19. Leamy 20. Boss 21. Humphries/Wallace 22. Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Before anyone complains, I think we need to try and pick young players when possible to develop them, and possibly sacrifice this years tournament. This might mean picking the odd player who might not be as good as other's in his position, but can be built on for the future.

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Tommy Bowe
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    12. Paddy Wallace
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    10. ROG (with Humphreys to come on after 60 minutes each game)
    9. Reddan (with TOL to come on af... etc or vice versa both good 9s)

8. David Wallace
    7. Jennings/Pollock
    6. Ferris.
    5. POC
    4. DOC
    3. Ross
    2. Best (give him a chance, Flannery always does better internationally)
    1. Healy...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd have Cullen at least on the bench, he is easily the third best second row available to Ireland.

How many games has cullen played in the last 3 months and he went off yesterday, i dont know how people are mentioning people for positions with no game time, same as darcy hes played a few games on the wing and has been average.

How many games has cullen played in the last 3 months and he went off yesterday, i dont know how people are mentioning people for positions with no game time, same as darcy hes played a few games on the wing and has been average.

If ROG got injured now would you pick him if he came back in time for the last 6 Nations game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I agree with RF on dowling, he just isnt good enough for international rugby as a winger. He doesnt have a huge amount of pace and I dont think he has the brain of a top winger. He reminds me alot of anthony horgan. A very good club player but just doesnt have that extra bit of class for international rugby.

If ROG got injured now would you pick him if he came back in time for the last 6 Nations game?

yes because hes miles ahead of every one else in his position. unlike the positions these players play in where there is a huge ammount of competition.
    the second choice 10 is humphries IMO o gara coming back from injury is a man with huge international experience

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I agree with RF on dowling, he just isnt good enough for international rugby as a winger. He doesnt have a huge amount of pace and I dont think he has the brain of a top winger. He reminds me alot of anthony horgan. A very good club player but just doesnt have that extra bit of class for international rugby.

I think that's a bit unfair on dowling. His brains are certainly not the issue - he does well for the talents he has. He just lacks the pace and finishing ability to play international rugby.

• Advertisement

yes because hes miles ahead of every one else in his position. unlike the positions these players play in where there is a huge ammount of competition.
    the second choice 10 is humphries IMO o gara coming back from injury is a man with huge international experience

There are execptions to every rule though. I don't think Cullen will have enough match time when the 6 Nations comes along, but I also think that O'Connell and O'Callaghan are great players whose monopoly on their positions similar to that of ROG or O'Driscoll or many of our players can well be counterproductive.

As an example, I reckon in any other rugby nation, Darran Cave would get at least some game time in O'Driscoll's shirt, if only to spare O'Driscoll for other games when he's more needed. I'd be amazed if that was to happen this time.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think that's a bit unfair on dowling. His brains are certainly not the issue - he does well for the talents he has. He just lacks the pace and finishing ability to play international rugby.

Brains is probaly the wrong word. I am not saying he's stupid but he doesnt seem a natural finisher as you say which is a better description. Howlett wouldnt be the fastest but he just knows where the try line is and can get past defenders alot easier then Howlett.

Might be controversial but what can you do. think choices give a chance for some dynamic play and a chance to change things up with the Elvs.

15 Rob Kearney
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Earls
    12 BOD Lost alot of his attacking prowess, but an expert in defence
    11 Dowling just above Fitz, i think they ll interchange
    10 ROG
    9 O'Leary most consistant scrum half, and his ball delivery is getting faster, great defence also

1 Horan add s an option as he can play on the wing aswell :)
    2 Flannery
    3 Hayes
    4 O' Callaghan
    5 POC should be captain and let BOD do what he does best play
    6 Ferris Jennings is to much of a liability
    7 Wallace if you could clone him i d put him at 7 and 8
    8 Leamy seems to be back on form, heaslips penalty count is to high

Bench
    16 Cian Healy Beast, one for the future
    17 Rory Best Jackmans line outs have best in front of him
    18 Bob Casey pitty he plays in england prob wont make it, but quality
    19 Jamie Heaslip
    20 Eoin Readan calm head to come in and close out a game
    21 Ian Humphries
    22 Luke Fizgerald will change around with dowling J murphy wont get near team

Would like to see in training squad
    Sean Cronin
    Sean O Brian
    Cave
    Mike Ross
    Ian Keatley

Are you honestly saying you would put Dowling ahead of Fitzgerald.A player who beat about 4 men on the outside with 3 foot of space only yesterday and has been tipped to go on the lions tour by most journalists and probably will.

The most ridiculous thing ive ever heard.Dowling is utter mediocrity.He does a job but thats it.

Your Munster biased team is ridiculous.

Goose81 wrote: »

The most ridiculous thing ive ever heard.

I think this is actually..

Downling is utter ****e.

No its not.Its very true.

No its not.Its very true.

What he doen that's been utter ****e?

What he doen that's been utter ****e?

Alright they were strong words,but its quite obvious to any reasonable person that he is not good enough to play for Ireland.

I should have said utter mediocrity.

Johne Murphy will and deserves to play ahead of Dowling for Ireland be it on the bench or starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Brains is probaly the wrong word. I am not saying he's stupid but he doesnt seem a natural finisher as you say which is a better description. Howlett wouldnt be the fastest but he just knows where the try line is and can get past defenders alot easier then Howlett.

Howlett is incredibly fast, he was a champion sprinter in school. His PB for 100ms is 10.68.

Dowling is a very smart player, btw, how often do you see him caught out defensively?

Are you honestly saying you would put Dowling ahead of Fitzgerald.A player who beat about 4 men on the outside with 3 foot of space only yesterday and has been tipped to go on the lions tour by most journalists and probably will.

The most ridiculous thing ive ever heard.Dowling is utter mediocrity.He does a job but thats it.

Your Munster biased team is ridiculous.

i m biased? i think your Leinster bias is showing by you getting angry.
    you pick up on the one good thing he does in a game that show s your looking for an excuse, he is a very talented player Fitzgerald and will definitely be involved, i like a hard working players which i think dowling is more of than Fitzgerald. i m a rugby fan and i picked the best team i think is playing at the moment.

• Advertisement

darcy won't be near the matchday 22, if he is it's a disgrace.

Advertisement