Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calls from the u.s.

• 01-01-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

i was in the u.s. for christmas, my roaming would not work, so i went to at&t, got a u.s. sim 50 u.s. which allowed me to ring europe, calls cost $1.10 per minute, to some u.s. fones nothing, texts cost $0.20 to europe and the u.s. texts cost $0.20 to recieve, hope this may be of advantage to some one, as vodafone says their texts cost euro 0.29, and calls euro 1.20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well ya if your going to the US and u'll be there for a week and a bit and want to be contactable u can get a sim card. $50 seems a bit though. i don't think i paid that much. also u can get a phone and sim card for like $15 in walmart over there and it has minutes on it too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I go to the US about twice a year. Bought a prepay phn on the virgin network. Phone cost $15 and $20 credit would last me a week. Txts home are 10c!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Free wifi in the hotel and skype ftw, free to computers and dirt cheap to landlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I go to the US about twice a year. Bought a prepay phn on the virgin network. Phone cost $15 and $20 credit would last me a week. Txts home are 10c!
    I did that once too a couple of years back and brought it back when i read the small print which said i needed to top it up by $20 every few months or it would be deactivated and would obviously lose any credit and probably have to pay a reconnection fee.

Is it better terms now? I know most US networks still charge for incoming calls and texts!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 krayZpaving

A much better solution, which works everywhere, is MAXroam. It's Irish, which is a good start, and the rates are great. Roaming in the USA, they're as follows:

Incoming Call €0.38
    Outgoing Call To Cellular In Ireland €0.60
    Outgoing Call To Landline In Ireland €0.50
    Call To a Local Landline In USA €0.46
    Call To a Local Cellular Phone In USA €0.46
    Sending an SMS From USA €0.21
    Calling Your Voice Mail €0.47

You get to assign a landline number from one of about fifty countries (including Ireland and the USA) to your phone for free, and can add more for a monthly charge. That means you can allow Irish people to call you for the price of a local call (often free with their phone package) even when you're abroad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement