Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature softer

Options
  • 01-01-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi to all,

I've been interested in airsoft for a long time now and have been itching to try it out but i've always stopped short of going. I'm hitting my 30's this year and this the one fact that holds me back. None of my friends have any idea what airsoft even is, so it was always going to be a lone wolf venture. i was wondering if there were many other airsofters of my age playing regularly.
    I live down in arklow now and would also be greatfull for some info of clubs or venues near me where i could get started. One last thing i would like to know is if the sportline range from ca is good for a beginner as it seems to be good quality for the price.

kind reards
    illegal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I'm hitting 30 this year, and I'm by no means the oldest fogie I've seen on the field :-)

You'll be grand. Most of my non-airsoft mates think I've gone nuts, but you get to know people fairly easy, most people are only too happy to include, and age is not a factor.

For arklow area, you'r eaither heading up to the Dublin area, or I hear there's a site/club starting up in New Ross kinda area. You could do worse than to PM RhinoCharge.
    Hi to all,

I've been interested in airsoft for a long time now and have been itching to try it out but i've always stopped short of going. I'm hitting my 30's this year and this the one fact that holds me back. None of my friends have any idea what airsoft even is, so it was always going to be a lone wolf venture. i was wondering if there were many other airsofters of my age playing regularly.
    I live down in arklow now and would also be greatfull for some info of clubs or venues near me where i could get started. One last thing i would like to know is if the sportline range from ca is good for a beginner as it seems to be good quality for the price.

kind reards
    illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3 illegaltruth

Thanks ger, it's nice to know that i wouldn't be the odd one out. So should i just head to one of venues on a weekend or is it better to sign up for an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Thanks ger, it's nice to know that i wouldn't be the odd one out. So should i just head to one of venues on a weekend or is it better to sign up for an event.

If you don't already have gear, your best bet is to head to one of the sites and rent one some weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Hi to all,

kind reards
    illegal
    Welcome to Airsoft. The one thing that seperates this sport from most others is the fact that age does not come into it, generally speaking. Believe me, at hitting 30, you have a good while to go yet. Once you are somewhat fit, and can leave all the usual life s**te at the gate, and be yourself, most of the sites and players will welcome you. There are players of all ages from 14 to 60+ involved in this. Just grab your AEG, put on your boots and go for it. Go for a rental gun and try it out. Nothing to lose, all to gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Turncoat

I am sure the age factor doesn't count, remember we all look the same through a scope:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Yeah as the other lads have said, 30 s probably the average age of the player anyway, theres people who are twice that.,
    its just one of those hobbies where you don't even notice age differences. go to one of the sites as a rental if ya haven't already bought gear, then you'll get a feel for it and see if its for you. you can then buy your own kit, whatever suits ya and play whenever suits.
    I've never met a rental that wasnt hooked after that first skirmish.,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Forget about your age, it means nothing on the Airsoft field!!!;)
    I will be 37 next month and have been playing for nearly 5 years.
    There are plenty of guys softing that are a lot older than me, so I really wouldn't worry about the age issue!!!:D

I would do as Some of the other lads have suggested and go to one of the sites as a rental. Ask some of the guys at the site to show you there AEG's to see what is comfortable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 illegaltruth

Thanks very much to you all for the great advice, you've made my mind up and i'm just going to jump in and give it a lash. Defo seems like a friendly community. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

yeah youre right too...we have a bloke in the squad i think hes around that age, you wouldnt even notice the age difference once you play

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Haven't been out myself in a while due to other committments and a dodgy achilles but I'm 39 and there are alot of players around my age. If you have a reasonable level of fitness (ok minimal in most cases here) and are a sneaky bastard like me then you'll have a lot of craic skirmishing.

Best bet is to give one of the sites a call, reserve a rental gun, wear some warm clothes you don't mind getting dirty and a good pair of boots. Once there most of the guys will have no problems letting you try their guns out and then the only problem is how you look the missus in the eye and tell her you HAVE to have that M79 Thumper ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

can only agree with the rest ....
    Welcome to the world of Airsoft

David

Ps: I'm 34 this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Ya dont look a day over 33 dave.,

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Welcome to Airsoft. The nice thing about the sport is whatever your level of fitness, age, gender, etc, there is always a place on the skirmish field for you. I am 38 next Tuesday. I have been skirmishing for almost a year. I am fairly unfit (which will change this year). I love airsoft. Most people that hear that I wear camo and carry guns at the weekend think I am mad but I have gotten to a few and they are gagging to try it.

As for advice. Just follow all of the advice that has been given above. You won't regret it.

vtec wrote: »
    Ya dont look a day over 33 dave.,

Well have shaved off the beard (after 10 years ) look about 32and a half now

David :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

whydave wrote: »
    Well have shaved off the beard (after 10 years ) look about 32and a half now

David :D

Your coolness level has shot down :P

:P:P:P:P :P
    Your coolness level has shot down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

To the OP: I started this malarkey in 2008, I'll be hitting 36 this year and you'll get some ageism from the baby players; that wears off when they get laid and started shaving, so don't worry about it. Their youth and energy is no match for your ability to do tax returns ;)

My mates also still think I'm a nutcase for doing this. I guess one of the nicest things about this sport is that who you are, what you are, what you do, where you come from, all that just melts away once you put on the ridiculous weekend-warrior outfit and strap on your toy guns. Everyone looks equally cool/silly out there.

Well, that's not totally true, but serves me right for buying 'camo' in Penneys...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

40, and still can kick some serious butt!!!! In my head I'm still 18. Get in there mate, but take it easy make sure you have some basic fitness. Your gonna need it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Am I the only one slightly disturbed at the Google adverts this thread is throwing up ?

Blackrock Hair Clinic.
    Meet Mature Singles.
    Retirement Cottages.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Lacertus

lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Turncoat

Shiva wrote: »
    Am I the only one slightly disturbed at the Google adverts this thread is throwing up ?

Blackrock Hair Clinic.
    Meet Mature Singles.
    Retirement Cottages.

That's a sign from the almighty himself:p

p.s. - If you decide to retire. The airsoft community may never forgive you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Sharad wrote: »
    p.s. - If you decide to retire. The airsoft community may never forgive you.

Theres a few who'd be delighted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Ah don't. Where's the craic in that?

OP, I'm 34 & as bis as my namesake. I walk into the field & crawl out, but I still go out.
    If the truth be known, there's more over 30's than under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stj

defo give it a go i'm 35 2 kids and friends who think i'm mad for crawling in mud and playing with guns(i know they're all jealous though) best bit of advice for you is don't let wife or signifigent other see the credit card bill:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ddoom

This is a good thread, I am 45 going on 46 and I am into Airsoft, however I did not even consider my age until I read this thread.

Dearg Doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

I'm 27, and some of the Grey hair division whoop me at skirmishes, I get the impression that what you lose in physical flexibility you gain in mental flexibility. A smart player is always going to be more useful to a team than a super fit player, although getting out and skirmishing will do wonders for your fitness too, so there's no reason why you can't end up being both. Age should definately not be seen as something which will hold you back or prevent you from airsofting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

airsoft....

it's more: who? wha?

than: hoorah!

;)

Advertisement