Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me to appreciate........

• 01-01-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

.....beer! Can somebody recommend some nice beers to get me started please!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Duff. It's pretty much all downhill from there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

i presume you are currently drinking either bud / heiniken .
    you could try stay with lager to start but move up in taste Staropramen / Sam Adams /Brooklyn lager then ale London pride, bishops finger..stouts worth looking out for o'hara's or bottled guinness export.

most supermarkets have all these ...supermarket shelves are full of lagers from various countries but a lot of them are very similar to the standard lagers available here ( eg Brama / effes etc) . hope this helps if not take a peek at articles on www.irishcraftbrewer.com where this is the focus as well as brewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

One of they best ways I found I just going out there and buying and trying them. Your taste bubs will developed over time so its worth going back to a few you may not have like later not to see how thing have changed

There are a couple of good blogs out the that can give good tasting notes, this is a bit more of an Irish prescriptive http://thebeernut.blogspot.com/

also here is another http://blackcatbrewery.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

find a good beer pub near you with interested staff - they'll be only too happy to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Go to Porterhouse you get a great selection there. See what tickles your fancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

yeah, just bud and heineken at the mo, somebody suggested a german "weissbier" to me a while back called paulaner, got it in dunnes one day, and ya, I hope that thing about taste buds developing is true, because it was horrible! Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions comin in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

you might find it easier to move from bud/ heiniken to the likes of one of the eastern european lages first just to see the difference they have the polish / lithuanian etc in most supermarkets...as a first step...then branch out to ales maybe a good way,,,,weissbier is a bit of a leap of faith ( if you had a few of them you'd get acclimatised alright) ...try them at home first no point paying top dollar for beer you mightny appreciate yet...

Pilsner Urquel is definately worth a try. Got a few 4 packs in dunnes the other day, no 500ml bottles though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Zatman wrote: »
    Go to Porterhouse you get a great selection there. See what tickles your fancy
    Id second that..They have a wide range of beers to meet everyones tastes.. But if you like more well know beers id be more inclined to try Corona or Miller.. Personal favourites of mine..

Also the bull and castle (site) has a great range of beers too and a few on Irish beers on draft that are not generally seen out side of a select location.

both are great locations for trying different beers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

oblivious wrote: »
    Also the bull and castle (site) has a great range of beers too and a few on Irish beers on draft that are not generally seen out side of a select location.

both are great locations for trying different beers:D

just had a look at that web site.
    What hope is there when even venues that do stock a good selection of beers don't deem it important enough to even mention it on their website?

just had a look at that web site.
    What hope is there when even venues that do stock a good selection of beers don't deem it important enough to even mention it on their website?

Thats for FXB's to change, the interest in beer is been pushed by the two manages. who have actually gone out of the way and in their free time to collect order form breweries that wont deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

.....beer! Can somebody recommend some nice beers to get me started please!
    first of all there is beer and then there is larger

getz wrote: »
    first of all there is beer and then there is larger

?

you may need to re think that definition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hoegarten is an acquired taste it could be argued, but the perseverence is worthwhile cause its a great beer. Any of the Czech pilsner, Urquell or Staropramen are worth the effort as is the German beer Erdinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Try find a good off license with knowledgeable staff. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise, as already mentioned there are some great blogs on beer appreciation, have a read of some of them.
    I would try to avoid the generic commerical yellow fizz thats widely available and just try something that looks interesting. Maybe a German or Czech Pilsner, and move on from these.
    For me, Chimay red was the beer that really opened my eyes to what beer can be. Also any of the Rocheforts if you can get your hands on em.
    Alot of the time, you can tell alot about beer from the bottle its in. Usually it says something about the brewery, a description of the beer or even why the brewer created the beer. And not something like "King of Beers"!!!

The guys around ere are a great help too, dont be afraid to ask any Q's!!:D

Hope that helps a little.
    Best of luck!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Some of the Aldi/Lidl beers are quite nice aswell, Perlenbacher comes in 500ML bottles from Lidl, its very nice, and Aldi have a nice beer called OETTINGER which comes in 500ML cans and is nice aswell

Nick

Advertisement