Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Wifi Access Point / Router to Wifi Modem?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Greetings -

I'm setting up a little lab of computers. I can't open them up as I'll void the warranty. The current internet is out through a wifi modem downstairs.

Am I right to assume that I should easily be able to get a access point and hook the computers upstairs into it via lan cables and configure the access point to connect with the wifi modem downstairs giving internet access to the upstairs crowd?

If not can anyone suggest how I could go about getting the upstairs computers onto the network without physically moving everything around. IT's a bogstandard linksys modem downstairs.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

If you mean you want to bridge the two computer areas wirelessly, this should work, but depends if your wifi modem supports bridge mode. Alternatively you could use homeplugs to share your network over the mains which would be easier, but you'd need a simple hub or switch too for multiple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Great - exactly what I wanted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are thinking of the Linksys solution have a read here first:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=773

Advertisement