Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are 'Labs' ?

Options
  • 01-01-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I hear people saying 'I do 16 hours a week plus labs'.. What are they?:eek:

Also, how long do you usually spend in College per day, for example on an Arts course or a Commerce + Language course?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Labs = practical sessions ... mainly in science classes...... work in the labs (experiments)

(at least thats what it was when I was in college - studying Analytical chemistry ....booooring ... chose a different work path :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

oh...in answer to second question - I used to spend 35-40hrs a week in college between classes and labs (labs sessions would be 2-3hours, classes 50mins) .... that was in CIT (Cork IT)

but friends in UCC would do 10-12hours a week in a similar course .... difference was that they were expected to do the work themselves, we were spoon fed and forced to learn....worked for me .... as it wasnt much of a change from school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 washingup

i do 8 hours a week labs with BIS.. it's practical computer time

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭XboxHero

Ah now it's clearer.. Thanks:) Are labs interesting so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Interesting can be interperated in a few ways! :pac: I found labs either made everything taught in theory come together and teach you practical skills in the subject being studied, or were a waste of time. Thankfully mostly the former. :P In my course I usually had about 15-20 hours/week of desginated lab time, this was anything from computer modelling in a computer lab, to outdoor experiments to being in an actual laboratory doing stuff. Labs are generally great for learning though, and depending on the staff supervising/teaching and your classmates, can be great craic! I miss labs :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ugh, labs are a pain in the ass imo. Firstly I usually can't do them properly and rely on my lab partner to do things properly. Secondly, writing the reports is tedious and horrible. I think I'm more of a theorist than an experimentalist.
    Only consollation is that they are much easier and more fun if you get on well with your lab partner.

But don't worry OP - if you're doing languages or Arts you obviously won't have to do any science labs. :) I'm not sure how languages are taught but I imagine you have normal lectures and then separate "language labs" where you focus on speaking the language etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

XboxHero wrote: »
    Also, how long do you usually spend in College per day, for example on an Arts course

Arts in 1st year I had 21 or so hours (French, English, History and Greek/Roman Civilisation)

Three early morning starts at 9am for History so I'd go in from then till about 5 or mainly 6 in the afternoon. Some nights I'd stay till 9 or 10 getting an essay done.

Depends on your workload, subject choice and your own way of studying among others.

Never done labs but one person told me they were 'depressing' :pac:

Arts and languages have no labs, just indvidual classes with less that 15 in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭XboxHero

Arts in 1st year I had 21 or so hours (French, English, History and Greek/Roman Civilisation)

Three early morning starts at 9am for History so I'd go in from then till about 5 or mainly 6 in the afternoon. Some nights I'd stay till 9 or 10 getting an essay done.

Depends on your workload, subject choice and your own way of studying among others.

Never done labs but one person told me they were 'depressing' :pac:

Arts and languages have no labs, just indvidual classes with less that 15 in them.

Thanks. Very helpful. Thank you to everyone who had the courtesy to reply. I'm delighted so many people are willing to give me an insight into various courses:) Now, if only more people would reply to my other thread and help me find Maths grinds in Cork....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not a bother.
    Wouldn't know about grinds, a Tipperary man meself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dAvE_hR

I have 24 hours a week in computer science about 2/5 labs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 french tuition

Hey,
    Just to let you know, Language labs are different to science lab sessions. Language labs are where you listen to tapes over individual headsets to work on pronunciation, in a special language laboratory. All the work is individual, and the tutor can listen in on how you are doing. They are the same length of time as a lecture (45 min). I do French grinds, but not Maths... good luck with that.

Advertisement