Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create your own ebook

• 01-01-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Help!! How do I create an ebook?? I am studying at the moment and dont have a great amount of free time but I do have a sony 505 reader which I love. The books I need to study cannot be gotten on an 'e' format so ,....I'm thinking , if I could put them on my 'reader' I could study while on the move. Problem is I am not tech minded in fact, I need to be spoon fed but I am willing to follow instructions. Anyone any idea how I can do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Have you got the books you need in digital format already? this is your biggest issue

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mefain

RedXIV wrote: »
    Have you got the books you need in digital format already? this is your biggest issue

No, I was thinking I could scan them into my laptop?! As you may notice I basically have'nt got a clue how to do this. I realise it may not be possible but hey, i believe anything is worth a try, if at first you don't succeed etc...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

mefain, if you're not tech. minded you will have to get someone to show you how to OCR (optical character recognition) the books into something like pdf format. There would be a good bit of work involved unless you were willing to separate the book into individual pages and pass them through a scanner with an ADF - automatic document feeder.

The books you want to get onto your Sony 505 may well already be available in PDF format but in a lot of cases these electronic copies violate copyright and so we can't talk on boards about how you might locate them. If the books are old classics that are no longer published under copyright then you might find them here:
    http://www.gutenberg.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

mefain wrote: »
    No, I was thinking I could scan them into my laptop?! As you may notice I basically have'nt got a clue how to do this. I realise it may not be possible but hey, i believe anything is worth a try, if at first you don't succeed etc...:)

As said by butts, there's an awful lot of work getting something into digital format, even if you know what you're doing. You're best bet would be trying to locate them online but again, as said above, we can't help here :o sorry. Have you any geeky friends you can prevail on?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mefain

This is really bad news!!! All my friends while they definately know more them me they will readily admit they don't know enough. Unfortunately, these books are british but used as reference material in ireland, we don't publish our own! Also, they are relatively new in that they were first published 15 and 10 years ago respectively. As Butts suggests I could break up the books and scan pages seperately but they are substanial, I mean REALLY big! I think I should change my major and study computer programming alas, too late to be inspired. Thank you both for trying to help I truly appreciate it, pity it didn't work, cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DirectEbooks

Hi Megfain

Can you give me an example of some of the books you need - I have contats and may be able to source them for you.

Thanks!

Advertisement