Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin Exchange

Options
  • 01-01-2009 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Wondering if anyone else if having issues with eircom Broadband on the Dunshaughlin exchange?

My problems started in August when they gave 3mb business customers a free upgrade to 7mb. Up to then, I had perfect 3 mb BB with NO issues. Now my line shows that it is synching at 6144 Kbps but speed tests, regardless of what time of the day or night only ever show at between 1800 - 2100kbps. This data is from speedtest.net and eircom.net/speedtest. Eircom tech support reduced my bandwidth to 6mb's in an effort to help it, that why it's only synching at 6mbs. I've done speed tests from 3 different machines, 1 laptop, 1 desktop and 1 mac - also from a mobile phone! Only 1 device is normally connected at any one time, occasionally 2.

I've had so many conversations with eircom and basically they've told me they can do nothing. Engineers have been out to the exchange and checked the line several times, both times concluding that it's a capacity issue within the exhange - I'm not convinced as if this was the case my speed would vary more and at night time (i mean 2/3am) it would be returning speeds nearer 6mbs.

Eircom have told me the exchange needs to be upgraded, which again I'm not convinced of as it is a 7mb exchange and there aren't that many people living in Dunshaughlin. They've also told me that no body else is having issues on this exchange? Would be interested to hear from anyone who is, perhaps if there are other there may be a stronger case to get them to investigate. Driven in sane as the BB is used for working from home everyday.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

When eircom reduced the speed from 7.4 to 6, was there a proportional drop in the speed you got on the speed testing websites?

Try this (assuming you're using windows)

Hold down the windows key and r at the same time.

Type in cmd, then press enter.

Then type in: ping -n 20www.rte.ie

You'll get a list of replies and stuff. Could you post the bits at the bottom with the "ping statistics" and the "approximate round trip times" for me please?

Btw I remember some complaints about Dunshaughlin a couple of years back but they were eventually resolved at the time by eircom increasing capacity in the exchange. I've heard nothing particular about broadband in Dunshaughlin recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah I had terrible issues with the Dunshaughlin exchange about 2 years ago, had dialup speeds for about 3 weeks and after many emails and screaming sessions on the phone it eventually got sorted.

Havent had any trouble since tho, on the 7.6meg package but only getting 5meg, the speedtest sites show my real speed around 4.4meg. I know a few other people on the exchange with the 3meg package and none have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 server_girl

Hi guys... Thank you for your responses

Here are the ping stat's...

Ping statistics for 89.207.56.94:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 81ms, Average = 50ms

It should be less that 15/20ms so as you can see it's a rubbish...

When they dropped bandwidth, there was no proportional change to speedtest results.

Thanks Gonzo for your response too... if you're on 7mb also, synching at 5mb then I might get them to reduce me down to 5 and see if that helps. Do you know anyone who can actually get 7mb (on speedtest) in the village? Even the fact that you can get 4/5mb, it confirms that it is a problem with my line - so cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately I dont know anyone else on the exchange with the 7meg package, everyone I know is on either 2 or 3 meg packages.

Advertisement