Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Mech games for PC?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously. I've been looking around. A lot. And it would appear that the last time the PC had a proper release of a Mech Combat game was way back in 2002 with Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. Since then, the PC has seen none. I guess Armored Cores, Gundams and Orbital Frames are all allergic to Windows.

It makes me mad as hell dammit. I want to blow stuff up.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well Armoured Core isn't all that good and Zone of the Enders has more in common with Ninja Gaiden and God of War than with mechwarrior.

I too would love another Mechwarrior or Heavy Gear game but sci-fi simulation games have just dried up. The X-wing and tie fighter games and mechwarrior 2 were some of my favourite games ever. It's a shame the genre has been dropped for FPS's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Some people still play Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries over Hamachi I think, I could never get it to work though.

Think they're still making a Crysis TC mod. Living Legends or something its called?
    Link: http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i would literally kill for another mech game on the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Over the past few months there has been plenty of speculation, email, and pleas for information regarding the future of the PC MechWarrior franchise, namely MechWarrior 5. Although an exceptional effort was made by an extremely creative and talented development team, we have decided not to continue the development of the project at this time. There were several factors in this decision, but most prevalent was our concern that we were not advancing the genre enough to meet and exceed our customer's expectations. Please know that this was a very difficult decision, but one we felt was in the best interests of our customers.

We deeply love the Mechwarrior franchise, and are committed to keeping it alive. Our plan is to re-invent Mechwarrior in a way that brings a fresh experience to our devoted customers and new fans alike. We would like to thank all of you for your continued support of the Mechwarrior 4 series of games, and greatly appreciate all the feedback we've received on our games. We are intensely focused on delivering outstanding game experiences, and rest assured we are working feverishly on some wonderful next-generation games.

:(

That was a long time ago. Surely theyve thought of something by now?

Although this article makes me feel like anything is possible http://pc.ign.com/articles/761/761079p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If you want something to scratch the itch, try out Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. It's about 50% mech

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote: »
    If you want something to scratch the itch, try out Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. It's about 50% mech

And 99% shit.

Not exactly a mech simulator either.

If only I could get my hands on steel battalion and that controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And 99% shit

and 100% only your opinion. I'd give it about an 8/10... much like it's metacritic score ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Im torn. On one hand its beautiful and it even seems to cover the exo-suit style of mechs. On the other hand, its the Crytek 2 Engine, and it will never run on my laptop properly. But as something that should hopefully have as much replay value as the mechwarrior series, that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I haven't played a decent mech game since Mechwarrior 3. Though Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was sorta okay.

Lost planet was alright, but it wasn't really a mech game, more of a shooter with mechs in it.

I'm kinda enjoyed AC4 on the 360 atm, but would really like a proper mech game.

• Advertisement

Well this is just sickening. I mean, when you think about it, thats a completely untapped niche of the games market at the moment. Mech 4 was too long ago and its not eactly on the shelves anymore. You could probably make a killing by developing one.

Dropping out of my game dev course sucks all the more now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved Mechwarrior 2 and 3 on the PC back in the day.

Of course, if you really want to play a mech game, there is only one way to do it properly, aside from buying lots of meccano and building one out the back.
    That is to buy and Xbox and a copy of Steel Battalion!

It's awesome not to mention demanding, but if mechs are your thing then check out ebay.

try here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBOX-Steel-Battalion_W0QQitemZ170290006656QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item170290006656&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1297|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

or here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEEL-BATTALION-Boxset-UK-PAL-XBox-NEW_W0QQitemZ140288503212QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS?hash=item140288503212&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1297|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Of course you'd also need an Xbox, shouldn't cost too much at all.
    There's also an online only sequel to the above, Line Of Contact, and a word of warning, Steel Battalion does not like modded consoles, if run on one it'll freeze, not sure how I know that, must have read it somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Hah mechwarrior theres a blast from the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Overheal wrote: »
    Im torn. On one hand its beautiful and it even seems to cover the exo-suit style of mechs. On the other hand, its the Crytek 2 Engine, and it will never run on my laptop properly. But as something that should hopefully have as much replay value as the mechwarrior series, that looks good.
    Aye. Example, this shows 4 variations of one mech.
    thumb_awesome_4variants.jpg

Also, I'd say they'll optimize it greatly. Otherwise, nothing on earth will run it. Compare the soldiers to the size of the mechs, to see what I mean! There's also tanks and planes to use, so this should be good. I'm sure if you installed the Crysis "demo" and the mod, you'll see if it runs on your laptop.

crysis runs, i already know that. my laptop just doesnt like it. Had to whip out the fan-pad to play through it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

L31mr0d wrote: »

I dunno, judging from the xbox cover it doesn't look very mech...

lost_planet_photochop_maze.jpg

Advertisement