Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interrailing - Any opinions on this route

• 02-01-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hi im thinking of inter railing instead of the J1.

What do people think of this route?

Id be interested in alternatives

Fly into Prague - Bratislava - Budapest - Belgrade - Sarajevo - Tirana - Athens - Crete

this is the general route id like but would listen to positives and negatives of it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Depends how long you're planning to stay in each place...I'd recommend doping at leat 3-4 nights in each place. We made the mistake of spending 2days average in each place we went to, and looking back the whole thing was a blur....we spent more time travelling and re packing to appreciate where we were...just did the main touristy rushed things like tours and pub crawls, didnt get time just to chill

Route looks good....the trains are un beleivable in europe, you could set your watch by them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Did you visit any of them cities? Ya well id be giving ourselves a month so no rush anywhere really! would like a 5 or 6 days in crete for the sun holiday drinking session sort of thing.

Only went to Prague, then went in the opposite direction to Berlin, amsterdam Paris the Interlakken switzerland....had planned to keep going on to Croatia through Vienna but ended up having to pack up ealry and head home. Prague is a great city, loads to see and do and great nightlife....great for just wandering around during the day! I'd defo go back!

Oh and did Crete for two weeks as a 6th year holiday...best holiday ever, but prob wouldnt go back, great fun at the time but was just your average package holiday of sun and drink.....might be nice to see the island itslef though, we barely left hersonnasis!!

ya i know all about crete done the same thing ! Ah thats all im looking for out of crete any way i just want to do the interesting historical stuff ! Then have crete as the drink and girls part of the holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

From your list ive only been to Prague, Bratislava and Budapest.

Prague is a great city, Lots to do and see but more expensive than I thought it would be.

Bratislava is an absolute hole. Ive never seen such a depresing place. Nothing inspiring about the city at all and the people aint the nicest either.

Budapest was one of the best place ive ever been. If your looking for a hostel it has plenty. We stayed at a place called Suite Hostel. It is the coolest hostel ever. Great nightlife too. Look out for a place called Club Rio, the wimmin in the place would make your jaw drop.

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Howdy Tipp.

I did mine 3 years ago.

We did 6 weeks and did:

Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, Sarajevo, Mostar, Hvar, Split and Dubrovnik...obviously not in that order.

It depends what you're after in your interrailing, but I reckon there are somethings you have to see. We made sure we got to Aushwitz, Mostar Bridge and the Bridge in Sarajevo where WW1 started. Im glad I saw them. But it's up to you!

You wont be stuck for nightlife in Europe anyway, but Prague was the best I thought. You'll be offered a jacuzzi with "two black and white midgets for you and only you sir", in no other city in the world! Full of tourists, but has a great atmosphere. We got an AWESOME hostel on the square (rynek 7, I think it was called, but I could be wrong). It overlooked the square, which was brilliant. We got to see everything happening.

Sarajevo is great - my favourite place. It's a bit ghostly during the day, but it's absoloutly gorgeous. Goes mental at night too. Amazing food and drink and it's piss cheap too. You can get drunk on ice-cream, there!

Wasn't in Budapest for long, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Avoid Dubrovnik unless you enjoy waiting in line behind fat america old folks for absoloutly everything. Most expensive place we visted too (except for Vienna - but that was worth it)

One piece of advice, most people will have bits of English in most places, but if you have any German you can't fail. We were in a resturaunt in Vienna where the waitress spoke German, Russian and some other language and we'd only english, french, irish:rolleyes: and spanish between us. Mightn't be a bad idea to bring a we phrase book.

Good luck and enjoy it!

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Howdy Tipp.

I did mine 3 years ago.

We did 6 weeks and did:

Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, Sarajevo, Mostar, Hvar, Split and Dubrovnik...obviously not in that order.

It depends what you're after in your interrailing, but I reckon there are somethings you have to see. We made sure we got to Aushwitz, Mostar Bridge and the Bridge in Sarajevo where WW1 started. Im glad I saw them. But it's up to you!

You wont be stuck for nightlife in Europe anyway, but Prague was the best I thought. You'll be offered a jacuzzi with "two black and white midgets for you and only you sir", in no other city in the world! Full of tourists, but has a great atmosphere. We got an AWESOME hostel on the square (rynek 7, I think it was called, but I could be wrong). It overlooked the square, which was brilliant. We got to see everything happening.

Sarajevo is great - my favourite place. It's a bit ghostly during the day, but it's absoloutly gorgeous. Goes mental at night too. Amazing food and drink and it's piss cheap too. You can get drunk on ice-cream, there!

Wasn't in Budapest for long, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Avoid Dubrovnik unless you enjoy waiting in line behind fat america old folks for absoloutly everything. Most expensive place we visted too (except for Vienna - but that was worth it)

One piece of advice, most people will have bits of English in most places, but if you have any German you can't fail. We were in a resturaunt in Vienna where the waitress spoke German, Russian and some other language and we'd only english, french, irish:rolleyes: and spanish between us. Mightn't be a bad idea to bring a we phrase book.

Good luck and enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

I did interrailing a few years ago and the only cities I visited that you are planning on going to were Prague and Budapest and I completely recommend both for their cheapness and craic. If you are in Budapest make sure you go to the public baths. They are all over the city and are basically a big spa/swimming pool and is a great way to relax for a day. Also in Budapest make sure you go caving/potholing, there are some crazy caves there that a guide will bring you climbing through for a few hours.

You should try to get up to Krakow in Poland if possible for a few nights, purely for the nightlife. Stay in Nathans Villa, I have been there 3 times and cant get enough of the place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement