Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On 7.6Mbps Package with 3Mbps sync

Options
  • 02-01-2009 5:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Ok guys

I got my UTV ADSL last month and Its great to be honest! I am on the 7.6Mb package with the unlimited addon.

My router info is:

Connection Speed : 3072 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation: 59.0 db/31.5 db
    Noise Margin: 6.1 db/12.0 db

And My download speed is:

382536602.png

I am a part time gamer and heavy downloader.

My average CSS latency to the UK is about 60-75 and my average ping to boards.ie is 48ms in cmd.

What I want to know is if I am ACTUALLY on the 7.6Meg package? My sync is stuck at 3Meg, and my latency seems quite low, and my exchange (Quigleys Point, Co. Donegal) has supposedly been upgraded.

So should I ring up UTV and tell them to get the exchange to give me my 7.6Meg or is my line actually getting as good as it can so I should tell them to move me down to the 3Meg package and charge me less.

Also Im worried that if I downgrade my package that I might loose the 24:1 contention ratio (thats if i have it!) My download and upload speed are always at this constant speed, so Im assuming that my exchange is not very busy at all.. Even at peak times.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ok guys

I got my UTV ADSL last month and Its great to be honest! I am on the 7.6Mb package with the unlimited addon.

My router info is:

Connection Speed : 3072 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation: 59.0 db/31.5 db
    Noise Margin: 6.1 db/12.0 db

And My download speed is:

382536602.png

I am a part time gamer and heavy downloader.

My average CSS latency to the UK is about 60-75 and my average ping to boards.ie is 48ms in cmd.

What I want to know is if I am ACTUALLY on the 7.6Meg package? My sync is stuck at 3Meg, and my latency seems quite low, and my exchange (Quigleys Point, Co. Donegal) has supposedly been upgraded.

So should I ring up UTV and tell them to get the exchange to give me my 7.6Meg or is my line actually getting as good as it can so I should tell them to move me down to the 3Meg package and charge me less.

Also Im worried that if I downgrade my package that I might loose the 24:1 contention ratio (thats if i have it!) My download and upload speed are always at this constant speed, so Im assuming that my exchange is not very busy at all.. Even at peak times.

Any thoughts?

Hi there,

firstly whats striking is that your line stats are extremly poor.
    You should be happy you`ll able to achieve 3MB downstream. There is no way you`ll ever get the full 7MB speeds.

Secondly, judging from your ping times, there quiet high, almost smelling on the 7MB high interleaving problem, you should ring UTV about this if like you say, your a gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm afraid 3mb is indeed the best you will get out of your line, judging by your line stats.

Your best option would be to downgrade to the 3mb package, saving yourself some money and probably lowering your ping significantly at the same time.

If your a heavy downloader I suggest you keep your "unlimited" addon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

Yeah I know that my line stats are extremely poor, because I live roughly 4.5Km from the exchange, but funnily enough my broadband is stable, so I suspect that interleaving may be set to low or something to keep the speed and stability on such a poor line. :confused:

Well I am quite happy with the ping times, because before I used NWE's wireless broadband system, and it was fine up until a few months ago when the latency shot through the roof at about a constant 100-120 which as all of you know is useless for gaming and VOIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

high interleaving = higher latency/ ping times / less data errors on a bad line

low/fasthpath = faster ping times / bad lines subject to alot of errors

You sound happy enuff with the 3MB neways, just make sure your not getting charged for anymore than that.. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3mbits at 4.5km is respectable , you should NEVER have been offered 7.6mbits at that distance . I would demand a free downgrade to 3mbits .

If you do downgrade to the 3mbits package you may get better pings to boot BUT it may become a netch less stable .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    3mbits at 4.5km is respectable , you should NEVER have been offered 7.6mbits at that distance . I would demand a free downgrade to 3mbits .

If you do downgrade to the 3mbits package you may get better pings to boot BUT it may become a netch less stable .

Based pn those SNR levels your def need to go to 3MB, waste paying for 7MB and UTV should not be charging your a contract change fee to change to 3MB!

Let us know how you get on with UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I downgraded to 3Mb with UTV and ever since my pings have been absolutely sh1te :(

Tracing route to home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 295 ms 333 ms 305 ms 194.46.193.66
    3 294 ms 294 ms 302 ms 193.95.145.27
    4 303 ms 304 ms 305 ms vlan72.rt001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.209]
    5 292 ms 294 ms 293 ms ge0.br001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.4]
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 288 ms 284 ms 277 ms 86.43.244.154
    8 277 ms 281 ms 269 ms 159.134.127.5
    9 279 ms 294 ms 290 ms 159.134.125.15
    10 283 ms 277 ms 292 ms home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138]

Look at that first hop beyound the router :eek: This is on an idle connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

I'm having terrible trouble with UTV and their "up to" 7.6Mbps package. Upgraded from 3Mbps around November last year and the router was still only ever syncing at 3Mbps (at best). They told me that I should be able to get 4Mbps. Eventually they said that the upgrade never happened even though they charging me so they manually enabled it and issued a credit in lieu of payments made for the additional service/speed not delivered. But even then my sync is 3Mbps or marginally more at best. My line stats (as reported by DSL Modem Tool) are poor - c. 50dB attenuation, as little as 6dB SNR margin and the line length is reported to be c. 5km (see here). For several months now (even before the upgrade) I have been experiencing sporadic disconnects (DSL drops and resyncs sometimes going into a loop doing this). I've tried three different routers and rechecked all filters and wiring (short drop cable from phone point to router downstairs) and concluded that the problem is the line. UTV just keep blaming eircom but seem happy to sell me a package which they cannot deliver reliably. eircom say that the line is fine. UTV are slow to respond to emails and I don't have the time to stay hanging on the phone waiting for phone support. I've been with them since 2005 but am getting really fed up with them at this stage. Rant over...

PS I've asked them to revert me back to 3Mbps (with no penalty for breaking the 7.6Mbps contract obviously) and to credit me for further payments made for the higher speeds which were never delivered and am still awaiting a response.

Advertisement