Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to Design/Develop Software

Options
  • 02-01-2009 6:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

I'm looking to develop a software package to be used specifically by accountants. The thing is, Im an accountant and I know nothing about software developement. Is anyone here in the know or can point mein the right direction as to how I can get this developed. I hear that people are using programmers from eastern europe to keep costs down, is this a path I could explore? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

You should work with a software developer who understands systems analysis and design. They should understand your problem and translate it into a requirements document that will in future act as the blueprint for implementing the system in software.

Such a document will also act as a guideline when writing up a software specification that is used by the programmer(s) when building the software.

It is also used to specify the project timeline, what deliverables are due and when they are due.

You should work with someone who understands the software development life-cycle, is professional, reliable and will be available to help you in the future. You can get programmers as cheap as chips from other countries but what if it does not work out? It would cost a good whack then to get a good developer in Ireland to touch the project.

If you find someone in Ireland you would be guaranteed quality work based on their reputation and future communications and availability would be assured.

I have worked in a large finance office and I am an experienced programmer so I will keep an eye on your post. It would be very interesting indeed if your system was in any way concerned with the managements of fixed assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DeJaMo

Is there no customizable 'of the shelf' accounting software that you can use? It would be a lot cheaper.

Getting a development team to create bespoke accounting software will cost you alot of money. I agree with pauldiv on offshore development. Communication / cultural issues will arise and you will have to be very patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

if you do this dont forget to allow for rules changes i.e VAT was 21% up till 01/2/2008 and now its 21.5%

Would this be web based on installed on a users pc?

do you have definite list of requirments?

could it be used in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Have a look at http://rentacoder.com/

Forget eastern europe , india is the cheap way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

As an accountant you will be invaluable in detailing requirements but as for developing the code yourself you've no chance mate. You need to finalize the requirements and the design, interface look and feel etc at a very early stage.

Could you set up a small company, apply for patent, formulate a business plan and approach the IDA / Business dev centre for a grant. The grant money will pay experienced contract developer(s), Good developers are not cheap, you could consider trading equity for man hours to avoid investing your own money. That way you have a dev team that are passionate about the projects success.

Good luck with it, nothin like recession to breed entrepreneursip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I know what the lads are saying about going abroad but unless you have a well definded requirements specification then it could be a nightmare to deal with.

You have looked at customisable packages have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah going abroad through sites like rentacoder or elance are frought with difficulties. And once the money is paid your pretty much on your own, I would avoid it at all costs. Keeping costs down is one thing but you also want value for money - and you'll get the best value from an Irish development team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also you will probably need to look for an escrow company especially when you are putting in custom software without the company getting the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Bren1609 wrote: »
    I'm looking to develop a software package to be used specifically by accountants. The thing is, Im an accountant and I know nothing about software developement. Is anyone here in the know or can point mein the right direction as to how I can get this developed.

You need to find someone you can talk to. My first recommendation is to figure out exactly what you want. Get out a copy of word, and write some product specifications. (Take a quick google for CMMI product specifications template to see what you should be aiming for).
    I hear that people are using programmers from eastern europe to keep costs down, is this a path I could explore? Any input would be appreciated.
    If you want to outsource the development, you'll need to do a specification like I just suggested above. If you can't specify to that level of detail, it will be very hard to dispute if the result you get back is not what you want.

My suggestion is this. Find a local software developer who knows what he's doing and is easy to talk to. Someone who produces samples, diagrams and wireframes for you, rather than a bunch of buzzwords. If you don't know someone like this, and can't persuade a hotshot college graduate, it will be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Thanks for all the input. I think it's right to go with an Irish developer, at the moment Im still researching this idea and if all goes to plan then I will start developing something in the next couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for all the input. I think it's right to go with an Irish developer, at the moment Im still researching this idea and if all goes to plan then I will start developing something in the next couple of months.

OP - brainstorm it to start with. Note down each word that comes down in relation to the product. Expand each word into potential features.
    Note down what the inputs are and the outputs you expect.
    Also keep in mind reporting, maybe even the front-end design, since you would be the main user then the easier you find it to work with.

The more information you can give the developer, no matter how daft it may seem, the better the product which can be developed.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Here is a link to a document that outlines what is involved in writing up a software requirements document:

http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/courses/is208/s02/ReqsDoc.pdf

This paper will tell you what it is and what is involved. No project starts without a requirements document. If you learn some of the lingo and become aware with software engineering terms and vocabulary it will give you a head start when you eventually have to communicate your ideas to a professional software developer.

The developer will write up the document and come back and grill you until he is sure that your requirements are correct. Most software projects come a cropper because the requirements have not been understood from the beginning. Preparation, planning and communication are vital to the success of a software development project.

Ginger wrote: »
    Also you will probably need to look for an escrow company especially when you are putting in custom software without the company getting the source.

What does this mean "without the company getting the source"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume he means you generally don't get the source code, unless you specifically have agreed this, in the contract before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

What does this mean "without the company getting the source"

Sometimes it will be written in the contract that key systems will have source in escrow so that if you go bust or something like that they can possibly obtain it.

This happens with smaller companies that provide custom software

Normally you will only provide an executable or similar format to the client rather than source included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Bren1609,
    When you talk about a package used by Accountants, are you talking about financial software that does Ledgers, Asset Management etc. or do you have an other idea that will help Accountants do their work?
    It just that I would have thought the every niche for accounting packages has already been filled. Have you done much research on the business side of things? I'm sure with your contacts in the Accounting world you could get a good indication of what people use why they use it what they like don't like etc. Once you've got all this done then worry about developers.

Deadeyes wrote: »
    Bren1609,
    When you talk about a package used by Accountants, are you talking about financial software that does Ledgers, Asset Management etc. or do you have an other idea that will help Accountants do their work?
    It just that I would have thought the every niche for accounting packages has already been filled. Have you done much research on the business side of things? I'm sure with your contacts in the Accounting world you could get a good indication of what people use why they use it what they like don't like etc. Once you've got all this done then worry about developers.

Its a package that will help accountants manage their work.

Advertisement