Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy food grade buckets? and big bags of rice?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 7:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

I want to stock up on food so if anyone knows where i can buy food grade buckets and those food liners and oxygen tablets would be much appreciated. Also would anyone know where I can buy big sacks/bags of rice? I cant seem to find them in tesco, dunnes or aldis. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

You can get the big (10kg or 15kg) bags of rice from the Asian shops, eg Asia Market in Drury street - best value too. They stock a variety of types/brands/grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Buckets of food, sacks of rice, oxygen tablets....

By my count nuclear fallout isnt due for another 15 years, your stocking up too early!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    Also would anyone know where I can buy big sacks/bags of rice? I cant seem to find them in tesco, dunnes or aldis. Thanks

Personally, I think the best quality rice is Tilda Basmati Rice. I get mine at Bombay Bazar on Thomas Street, Dublin 8. http://bombaybazar.ie It's located on the right hand side as you're coming out from Christchurch, just past the intersection with Bridgefoot Street.

I recently got a huge 20 Kg sack of Tilda Basmati Rice from the Bombay Bazar for 65 Euro.

By comparision, a 1 Kg bag of Tilda Basmati Rice costs about 6 Euro in tesco, dunnes and superquinn.

I'm saving about 50% buy purchasing the 20 Kg sack ! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

6 euros a kilo for rice? You'd be better off importing it yourself from some sane country at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

6 euros a kilo for rice? You'd be better off importing it yourself from some sane country at that rate.

Exactly! Tilda is great quality rice, but you're getting ripped off if you buy the 1 kg bags. 20 Kilos of Tilda Basmati Rice for 65 Euro from Bombay Bazar works out at E3.25 per kilo. If anybody knows where in the City Centre I can get Tilda Basmati Rice for less than E3.25 per kilo then please post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Can't help with Dublin but in Cork Mr Bells sells 10kg bags of Natco Basmati for €28 which makes it a hell of a lot cheaper than €3.50 a kg for a 20kg sack.
    Easier to handle too.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

As for food-grade bins - ask your local restaurant/deli/cafe place. I got a few mayonnaise buckets from one place - 10L I think they are. Just give them a good wash. Otherwise a homebrew shop will sell you a 25L bucket and lid for not much more than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

There is an Asian shop in Rathmines on the left going into town. I got a 20kg bag of Jasmine for 28 euro. Almost all of the smaller Asian shops like Bombay Bazar are overcharging on Basmati (65 for 20kg is saucy). I have found they knock a fiver off if you ask them though. My twitch is if you spoke Arabic you could get it for much much cheaper...http://www.indiansinireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28745

priced a 20kg sack of Akash brand at my local cash and carry, €44 for 20kg.
    €65 for 20kg is robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    I want to stock up on food so if anyone knows where i can buy food grade buckets and those food liners and oxygen tablets would be much appreciated. Also would anyone know where I can buy big sacks/bags of rice? I cant seem to find them in tesco, dunnes or aldis. Thanks
    We regularly stock 25Kg bags of rice if thats what you are after, we also have 5kgs aswel... Contact me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sammya

Kerno, Are you open for retail trade? If yes pls post contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 known to Gardai

You can get 20kg Tilda Basmati bag for 39.99 in the asian market shop just beside the Jervis st Luas Stop (Red Line).

The OP hasn't been here for a couple of years, Probably safely esconsced in a fallout shelter somewhere surrounded by a couple of tons of rice.

Advertisement