Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise Railway Sleepers and Shrubs please

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for advise from all the pro gardeners out there :)

I'm in the process of finishing the garden, its not huge but its my first place and I have to hold my hands up and say I'm new to gardening but am taking a great interest.

I got some fab decking put down, an awning over it for the summer and a wood panel affect galvanised panelled shed.

Q? The end of the garden is a four foot high bank about 35-40 degree slope. I got some rolls of stuff to lay down to keep weeds down but also let rain through and I'm planning to put stone chipping down but I wanted to chop a straight edge in the bank to erect a line of railway sleepers like a wall if you get what I mean, what are the differences in the sleepers? Do some need treating regularly etc?

Q? I would also be grateful if someone could advise me on a few small trees and shrubs to plant. I want to clear areas of stone and plant some but put the chippings neatly back when planted. I dont want a plain ugly looking stoned bank ;) Thank you all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

I cant help you on the sleepers unfortunetly. Im sure you can get the info from the people you purchase them from anyway?

Are you going to do a rockery on the slope? If it gets good sun then i think that would be your best bet. The rockery is a really interesting thing to get involved in. Trying to replicate the plants natural growing conditions is a tricky and interesting challenge. I love the idea of growing a plant in the garden that grows naturally on a mountain top in some exotic place.

Here's a few links for you anyway.
    http://www.alpinegardensociety.ie/ags_link.html

Advertisement