Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Ramps

Options
  • 02-01-2009 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

So the last few years has seen every local council putting lumps of concrete in the middle of the road. Now, maybe I am naive, but are roads not supposed to take a person from one place to another, not block the path?

My car is getting wrecked driving over these idiotic obstacles. And save all the "safety, blah, blah " rubbish.

Any opinions, has anyone got any opinions these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well, some may be warranted, but some are just a laugh. There also seem to be no restrictions on them at all. Every bloody one is different to the next one.

Whats more worrying is the fact there's probably 35+ roundabouts between galway and dublin easily. Also slapping a bit of play dough in the middle of the road, and painting the thing white classifies as a roundabout now too.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FloorBoard

. Every bloody one is different to the next one.

:rolleyes:

You got that right. Some you can zip over at 60 (mph that is I'm not european) others mash the car at just 25.

I've seen the jokers putting a few down, never seen such a set of chancers. Private contractors, could not care less. And sure if they are badly built they can always take them up and have another "go" the dumb taxpayer will pick up the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

FloorBoard wrote: »
    So the last few years has seen every local council putting lumps of concrete in the middle of the road. Now, maybe I am naive, but are roads not supposed to take a person from one place to another, not block the path?

My car is getting wrecked driving over these idiotic obstacles. And save all the "safety, blah, blah " rubbish.

Any opinions, has anyone got any opinions these days?

Their speed bumps, not walls. Maybe you should slow down, 40 Kmph is still fast for going over a speed bump.

I have a suggestion though, stop driving, let someone else do it, get a bike, use public transport or walk even.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kildare County Council are fans of ones which need to be crossed at about 20km/h - which they seem to place exclusively in 50km/h zones. In fact, I've never seen a 30km/h zone in the entire county.

Their speed bumps, not walls. Maybe you should slow down, 40 Kmph is still fast for going over a speed bump.

And why is there something in the middleof the road to cause me such hindrance?

• Advertisement

And why is there something in the middleof the road to cause me such hindrance?

I now know that you are not serious, in fact I think you are posting just to troll...

You know the basic principles of a speed bump, right? You know their function? Please tell me you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If a road is signposted as being say 30kph then it should be safe and permissable to drive at 29kph down that road, shouldn't it? If people are constantly breaking a signed speed limit by all means put in a speed bump that can only be negotiated at that limit but don't put in a speed bump that can only be negotiated at 10kph. If you want me to drive at 10kph put up a speed limit sign that says 10kph. Otherwise put in speed bumps correctly engineered to match the posted limits. Is that too much to ask?

Hagar wrote: »
    Otherwise put in speed bumps correctly engineered to match the posted limits. Is that too much to ask?

Anything approaching sanity would be too much. But then again, these people are not stupid, if they were I would not be paying 40% of my income each month. Maybe they have other motives, makes one think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Hagar wrote: »
    If a road is signposted as being say 30kph then it should be safe and permissable to drive at 29kph down that road, shouldn't it?
    Under ideal driving conditions, yes: i.e. daylight, no parked vehicles, no children playing near the road, no elderly trying to cross, the sun not in anyone's eyes, good general visibility and a dry road surface.

Otherwise: it depends on what's appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Floor Board

For someone who just signed up for the "firstest time eva" this morning your really doing great.

I'd nearly swear that you had another username and were just posting tripe in a attention seeking cry for help.

Tip : If your going to try to be a troll at least be somewhat original.

There's a good lad.

• Advertisement

Under ideal driving conditions, yes: i.e. daylight, no parked vehicles, no children playing near the road, no elderly trying to cross, the sun not in anyone's eyes, good general visibility and a dry road surface.

Otherwise: it depends on what's appropriate.

Works both ways. A lot of the time it is safe to drive at 100mph down the m1.

I think people are more than capable of adapting to conditions, no nanny state required.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

_39197353_victor_main_203.jpg

Lots of moaning here this morning. Can we get over it, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hammertime wrote: »
    Floor Board

For someone who just signed up for the "firstest time eva" this morning your really doing great.

I'd nearly swear that you had another username and were just posting tripe in a attention seeking cry for help.

Tip : If your going to try to be a troll at least be somewhat original.

There's a good lad.

Seems like the guy is lobbing in Hot Topics of today's society, Next will be;

"Airline Peanuts, you can never open them, whats the deal with those?"

Seems like the guy is lobbing in Hot Topics of today's society, Next will be;

"Airline Peanuts, you can never open them, whats the deal with those?"

Some chance. I don't do new Ireland "tatter talk". I don't have a favourite superhero, or cartoon for that matter.

Some chance. I don't do new Ireland "tatter talk". I don't have a favourite superhero, or cartoon for that matter.

No idea what you're trying to say there.

To be against the idea of speed ramps is bordering on lunacy. Granted there are many examples of ridiculous ramps which can be bad for a motor but no matter what the Ramp:Car damage is, it will never hold a candle to Human:Car damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

No idea what you're trying to say there.

To be against the idea of speed ramps is bordering on lunacy. Granted there are many examples of ridiculous ramps which can be bad for a motor but no matter what the Ramp:Car damage is, it will never hold a candle to Human:Car damage.

Speed ramps are stupid yokes because you are preemptively being punished for someone elses crime. why should someone who doesn't drive too fast have be affected by these?

safety culture can be used to justify almost any new anti-car regulation but really most speed bumps are put up so some biddy living in an estate doesn't have to listen to the cars drive past

towel401 wrote: »
    Speed ramps are stupid yokes because you are preemptively being punished for someone elses crime. why should someone who doesn't drive too fast have be affected by these?

safety culture can be used to justify almost any new anti-car regulation but really most speed bumps are put up so some biddy living in an estate doesn't have to listen to the cars drive past

Oh good Jesus.

Someone elses crime, speed ramps are not Stupid yokes ,they prevent people being maimed and killed.How could you be so ignorant to say that you are Peter Perfect the Perfect Driver and we can all take your word that you will never ever break any posted speed limit in any town or area ever. Even if you did and you hit a child at 50kph and killed or brain damaged that child but with a speed ramp you'd of been doing 30kph or less. It's all a for instance until through no fault of your own an old lady or wide eyed child(just helping set the scene) goes under your car, no matter whos to blame its real and its permanent, Speed ramps are in place to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

towel401 wrote: »

The problem with speed ramps is they only slow down people who drive safely anyway. The people who drive like lunatics fly over them or else slam on the breaks at the last second and then speed off again.

Then there are the car thieves who seem to think they are for getting as much air as possible.

And all the extra noise of cars hitting the ramp and accelerating away is quieter? Or the buses and trucks bouncing over?

Has anyone ever calculated the extra fuel used by road users due to unnecessary braking and acceleration? Or how many people haven't made it to hospital on time as the ambulance had to drive slowly over these?

You are very very odd, even for a boards.ie poster.

Hagar, if signs worked, then there would be no need for the speed bumps at all. FAct of the matter is, signs don't work, speed bumps do. If you have a speedbump that you can tackle when you are doing 50 kmph then chances are you can take it at 60 or 70. So take the bump and make it so difficult that you cannot take it at them speeds. Problem solved. There are some bumps that will get the underside of your car, other bumps you can just zip right over them like they are nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The only ones I've seen are mostly in housing estates and near schools which is fair enough IMO.

Straffan is a bloody joke, the whole town is a series of speed ramps for no reason I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You are very very odd, even for a boards.ie poster.

Hagar, if signs worked, then there would be no need for the speed bumps at all. FAct of the matter is, signs don't work, speed bumps do. If you have a speedbump that you can tackle when you are doing 50 kmph then chances are you can take it at 60 or 70. So take the bump and make it so difficult that you cannot take it at them speeds. Problem solved. There are some bumps that will get the underside of your car, other bumps you can just zip right over them like they are nothing.

But then whats the point in having a 50km/h road, why not mark it down to 20km/h. All bad speed bumps do is encourage people to speed up (and possible exceed the limit) to the limit between them, where as if they could drive at 50km/h they could be paying attention to the roads and not their gear box.

Also if a speed bump damages your car on a 50km/h road, I'm sure you could sue the council for the damages.

If they want speed bumps to only slow down the people who exceed the speed limit why don't they install automatic bumps? It takes your speed, if less then the limit then nothing happens. If your exceeding the limit the bump pops up and slows the speeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

What needs to happen is that they should standardise speed bumps into two or three types and then introduce regulations on spacing, placement etc.

If this was done then you might be able to tell the severity of the 'bump' before you hit it and match your seed accordingy.

IMO the moniker of 'sleeping policemen' suits speed bumps best. They are a lazy and unimaginative method of traffic control. I think they distract drivers, damage vehicles and impeed traffic flow and their use should be restricted to areas where they are actually required (schools etc).

That said if we have to have them at least make them all the same shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My gripe with speed bumps is pedestrians thinking that they are all pedestrian crossings. I know some pedestrian crossings are raised like a speed bump but that doesn't automatically mean all are so don't throw me dirty looks or shout at me when I don't stop for you. If I don't see anything that indicates a pedestrian crossing then it's just a normal speed bump and I am not going to stop for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ergonomics wrote: »
    My gripe with speed bumps is pedestrians thinking that they are all pedestrian crossings. I know some pedestrian crossings are raised like a speed bump but that doesn't automatically mean all are so don't throw me dirty looks or shout at me when I don't stop for you. If I don't see anything that indicates a pedestrian crossing then it's just a normal speed bump and I am not going to stop for you.

You should have seen Limerick at Christmas so. You would have cried. It was a free for all at the main junction of William Street and O'Connell St at Keanes Jewellers and all the way up William Street.

No speed ramps, no zebara, pelican or any other animal to help you cross the road other than the pedestrian lights at the intersection which are meaningless because everybody ignores them.

Oh, I didnt ignore my green light or their red(pedestrian) light. It was a case of move or die because I 'aint making allowances for you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

We had a guy working with us from portugal last year.

He said in portugal speed bumps were banned on the advice of their surgeon general as it leads to spinal compression (makes sense when you think about it, its not just the car suspension going up and down) as you go over them every day...

Don't have any links to back this up, just what this guy said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

It wouldn't surprise me if they put speed ramps on the M50 next... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ergonomics wrote: »
    My gripe with speed bumps is pedestrians thinking that they are all If I don't see anything that indicates a pedestrian crossing then it's just a normal speed bump and I am not going to stop for you.
    Why not? It's a legal obligation to give way to pedestrians once they have started to cross.

It'd also be a considerate thing to do.

It's a legal obligation to give way to pedestrians once they have started to cross.

Since when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why not? It's a legal obligation to give way to pedestrians once they have started to cross.

Really? A pedestrian can just walk out anywhere and motorists then have a legal, forget moral, obligation to give way? Link?

• Advertisement

The word Spurious springs to mind.

Advertisement