Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Ramps

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Speed humps are just another example of reverse engineering so commonly found in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

brim4brim wrote: »
    A lot of private car parks have ramps that are way too high. In Tullamore, my brother can't drive his car into one because its too low to the ground. The car hasn't been modified or anything, it just a road legal sports car that can't be driven into the shopping centre car park.

These and the ones that are black with no markings are the ones I'm really against.

There's a fairly good chance that a civil claim would succeed against the council or car park owners/operators and/or the ramp installers if a civil action is taken in particular cases. If a car is damaged on a particular ramp and there is clear evidence via the scoring on the ramp and missing lumps from the ramp edges, then get good photographic evidence of this and make a claim. Get photographic evidence of the damage to the car also plus all the valid receipts fully legible etc.

You would probably succeed if the evidence is strong enough but be prepared to present your claim with good supporting evidence as the council will defend vigorously on account of the fear of a flood of similar claims from chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

theres a road bump on bridge street in sligo and it has to be one of the worst in the country, if im on the right side of the road i have go under 10kph or my bumper will rub off the ground, i drive a stock 99 A6, im not against road bumps but they should at least be made to a national standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

gino85.....nothing would achieve the introduction of a national standard in road ramp severity quicker than a few successful civil actions for car damage claims. You'd have it very quickly indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The asphalt used to make these stupid ramps would be far better used filling in the potholes that plague our roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

So what is the consensus of opinion here?

All speed ramps are bad, we don't need any speed ramps?

OR

Speed ramps are OK provided they are sited correctly with suitable warning signs and built to proper standards so cars don't ground on them.

BUT if the later what is a good location for a speed ramp?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Moral of the story is, speed ramps are perfect, as long as they are not on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

ttm wrote: »

OR

Speed ramps are OK provided they are sited correctly with suitable warning signs and built to proper standards so cars don't ground on them.

I don't think anyone would argue with speed ramps near schools and in housing estates frequented by boy racers so long as they are clearly visible and at a height where any road legal, unmodified car can pass over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I don't think anyone would argue with speed ramps near schools and in housing estates frequented by boy racers so long as they are clearly visible and at a height where any road legal, unmodified car can pass over them.

I quite agree and I think the normal course of action is to put in speed ramps AFTER its been proved they are needed because drivers aren't keeping within the speed limits.

Better if everyone kept to the speed limits then there'd be no need for speed ramps. So its not YOU the careful boards.ie reader that the speed ramps are for, they are there to stop eveyone else speeding ;)

Don't forget that if you want to slow down ALL traffic a speed ramp that slows a salon car to 50km/h may have very little effect on a 4x4.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

speed ramps are sometimes a necessary evil, although they are not being built to any standard, the can cause serious damage to cars suspensions, electrics, etc through the vibrations caused when mounting the speed bump - it's like mounting a kerb easch time you pass over one even at the slow speed required to negotiate it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

A lot of private car parks have ramps that are way too high. In Tullamore, my brother can't drive his car into one because its too low to the ground. The car hasn't been modified or anything, it just a road legal sports car that can't be driven into the shopping centre car park.

These and the ones that are black with no markings are the ones I'm really against.

Yes, there's a retail car-park near me and I can't go into it either because the speed ramp at the entrance is way too high. Also, the ramps at Carlisle Gym are too steep and would damage my car. My car is a completely standard 3 series coupe- no modifications and not lowered. An M3 or an Msport coupe would be even lower to the ground than my own car because they have a lower sports suspension.

Hagar wrote: »
    The asphalt used to make these stupid ramps would be far better used filling in the potholes that plague our roads.

+1

OR

No, cars are meant to be driven on roads, ramps are for teenagers on skateboards!

Speed ramps are completely pointless- we don't need them. Below is a video of a joyrider in a Honda Integra being chased by the Gardai. There are two speed ramps on this particular stretch of road and they do not slow any of the cars down, with the exception of the Toyota Camry at the end which braked for the ramp. All of the other cars passed both speed ramps with ease. This is the sort of situation where an accident is likely to occur, and as you can clearly see the speed ramps were very ineffective.

OR

This is Ireland remember; even if there was a proper standard set out, the contractors would still manage to deviate from it. Consequently, cars would still end up being damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

This is Ireland remember; even if there was a proper standard set out, the contractors would still manage to deviate from it. Consequently, cars would still end up being damaged.

This is actually not true for the most part, my da worked in road construction for years and where a proper standard is set out (usually on the bill of quantities) the contractor has little choice but to follow it to the letter as the contracting council will either make them do it again or not pay for it. The risk for the contractor is too great to mess around.

The fault is with the NRA here for not implementing a standard for councils to adhere to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Speed bumps are a real negative for me.

1) Robbed cars plow into them.
    2) They are once of the biggest causes of fuel consumption and pollution. (the road may be 30kph but you need to slow to 5kph to go over them, then accelerate and then brake etc etc)
    3) there is no regulation what so ever on Bump Height, Smoothness to the road, Angle at the start of the Bump, Colour, Reflectors (Cats Eyes), material they are made from (tar, concrete, blocks), the Length of the Bump, or the shape of the Bump (they have square ones in Howth! whats that all about?)
    4) They are a waste of money.
    5) Every housing estate in Raheny is littered in speed bumps.
    6) They Damage the suspension on sports cars (I have to drive REAL slow over them much to the annoyance of the people behind me) and other real low down cars cannot get over them without scraping the front bumper on them

I think the chequaine setup is a little bit better in that it doesn't wreck your suspension.

Advertisement