Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping from Postpay to Prepay?

• 02-01-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

I've had postpay phones for nearly 10 years, I'm with O2 postpay at present, and am pretty fed up with the bills I get for such a small amount of usage. I've changed plans loads of times, but it never seems to make them cheaper.
    So I want to switch to prepay (which seem to have way better deals anyway!!).

Is there any way to switch to prepay & keep my number?
    Whats the best deal on O2 prepay at present?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

lafors wrote: »

You'll be able to keep your number, I did the very same with vodafone recently.

Not sure about the deals though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Yeah, as long as you're out of contract on your bill just ring them up.
    There seems to be a lot of it going around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yes it is possible.
    It should also be simple. My gf did it a while ago by just calling them.

In the end it didnt go all that smooth. It took a few calls to get the free call credit and it was not as much free credit as you as new customer or upgrading customer would get.
    But at least after her first call she got rid of the bills and was straight on on pre-pay.

I myself am on O2 prepay, i use the 20 euro a month scheme. Free calls to 10 o2 mobile numbers. I dont need the free txts. Not much of a texter and when i do need to send a text i am 95% of the time close to a computer so i use webtext from o2.

If you dont like the monthly top-ups but just top up when you need it, you just pay for every call you make. You still would have the free webtexts though.

I would suggest to check out the 02 website to see what suits you best. Or switch providers and keep your number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes its quite easy to switch now and still keep your number if even if you change to another network.

Depending what your usage is, it varies greatly. If you give a bit more information on how much minutes each month, texts and what networks.

€20 can be unlimited texts to all networks

€20 can be free calls to 10 favourite numbers on 02

€30 can be free calls and texts to your 10 favourite o2

The above are topup which you still keep. Below is a €20 charge monthly.

€20 unlimited o2 calls and texts with a 30 day contract on o2 Clear
    OR
    €20 Unlimited calls to O2 Ireland mobiles & Irish landlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I changed from o2 bill to speakeasy today, went into the o2 shop on Henry street spoke to one of the staff and it was done in all in 5 mins. Thinking I might port to Vodafone cos they are offering up to €80 credit when you switch to them and they offer free texts to any network for €20 a month aswell and there tariff is cheaper than o2's.

• Advertisement

Davexirl wrote: »
    I changed from o2 bill to speakeasy today, went into the o2 shop on Henry street spoke to one of the staff and it was done in all in 5 mins. Thinking I might port to Vodafone cos they are offering up to €80 credit when you switch to them and they offer free texts to any network for €20 a month aswell and there tariff is cheaper than o2's.

If you wanted to be on o2, you could port back after and get €70 credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I moved from o2 to meteor years ago at this stage. just switched back from bill pay to payg maybe a few months ago too.
    meteor have the same kinda deal, pay 20 quid/month and either get unlimited calls Meteor to Meteor, or free txts to any network.

i love the way they say free calls or txt for life ! as long as you pay 20 quid/month.

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/latest_offers/offerofalifetime/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

pretty fed up with the bills I get for such a small amount of usage. I've changed plans loads of times, but it never seems to make them cheaper.

how much are you paying and for what?

what do you make of 3's swing both ways?, 100 minutes to any network, 100 minutes free 3 to 3, and free texts to any network for €25pm fixed....can't run over your bill, if you do you got to buy top up credit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

If you switch from 02 bill to 02 payg,how long untill you can switch back and be considered a new customer?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

davton wrote: »
    Yes its quite easy to switch now and still keep your number if even if you change to another network.

Depending what your usage is, it varies greatly. If you give a bit more information on how much minutes each month, texts and what networks.

€20 can be unlimited texts to all networks

€20 can be free calls to 10 favourite numbers on 02

€30 can be free calls and texts to your 10 favourite o2

The above are topup which you still keep. Below is a €20 charge monthly.

€20 unlimited o2 calls and texts with a 30 day contract on o2 Clear
    OR
    €20 Unlimited calls to O2 Ireland mobiles & Irish landlines.

Like you say it depends on your usage. You need to look who you ring/text most.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Like you say it depends on your usage. You need to look who you ring/text most.

The more the OP gives the more people will be able to advise him.

Call Costs can be helpful be not always up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

My bills for the last 12 months...
    bills.jpg

I'm on O2 Clear Unlimited O2&Landline (€20.66 before VAT)
    I have a 100 text bundle and usually go up to 50 over that, so not worth going to the 200 bundle as I never use 200.

I don't want to change from O2 as my wife is on it as are my parents and plenty of friends. I was the last rouge on Vodafone and had to change as it was getting too expensive with everyone on O2.

I'm on O2 Clear Unlimited O2&Landline (€20.66 before VAT)
    I have a 100 text bundle and usually go up to 50 over that, so not worth going to the 200 bundle as I never use 200.

I don't want to change from O2 as my wife is on it as are my parents and plenty of friends

What we really need to know is how many minutes and texts you make a month to all networks.....including your free minutes....
    Your monthly price plan and bills don't make sense if your mainly calling 02 to 02....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems expensive, but hard to know with out knowing how many call you make.

You need to download your bill into excel and do some processing on it.

How do you check your remaining miuntes and texts on 02 bill, do you have go to the website...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Before switching back to pay as you go, it would be a good idea to request your NAC unlocking code from O2 just in case you want to port to another network in case the phone is simlocked.

Advertisement