Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

call alert

Options
  • 02-01-2009 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I have just served a 12 month sentence with vodafone broardband, laugh,and have no alternative but to revert back to utvxl flat rate dial-up.

Once again I must share my landline with phone calls and internet usage.

Main problem now is calls being blocked while I am online.Have googled and found a call alert program but does anyone use this and does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dwayne.jenkins

really depends on which one you have... .just out of interest why have you gone back to dial up? and what happened with vodafone looking at switching to it myself. All of them use eircom lines so if its a line issue there is nothing they can do there, but they a fair bit cheaper than eircom but i have heard a few complaints about it..any way that aside yeah post the name of the call alert program and see if i can help..
    just though i would include what they are... depending of course on which one you got.. callwave is a popular one, not sure how well it works outside the states i assume its the same. They are really like pc answering machines, allowing you to divert calls to your cell phone, get people to leave a message and on some of them they even allow you to answer a call. some will have to assign you a different number, but then you can always divery to that number so its no biggi. they normally pretti easy to install and use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

had the contract with vodafone mobile broadband so not a line issue. type of alert I am after would have the facility to take the call as it came in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

forward to your mobile , turn call forwarding service on in exchange with eircom ( callplus services I think its called)

then insert something like this into your modem dial string

O,DT*21*0871234567#,O

which should lift phone, pause 2 secs , turn on call forwarding , pause 2 secs and hang up then proceed to dial UTV

The hangup string should reverse this ,somewhere in the registry it is ATH

change to

ATH,O,DT#21#,H

hangup UTV pause , go off hook, cancel call forwarding , pause 2 secs hangup again

experiment with turning on call forwarding manually and off manually to get the syntax right

You have probaly solved this by now, personally i dont favour the eircom exchange option, mostly cause it then forwards to your mobile and landline minutes ect. no longer apply, to my knowledge that is case.
    Callwave has the answer while online feature, without breaking your seession.
    I work a fair bit with the mobile broadband, so if you interested in trying to get that working i may be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The cheapest way of dealing with this is to get eircom voicemail activated. You can put a message on the system like :

"Thank you for calling, I can't answer your call right now, or my line may be busy. Please call my mobile on 08X XXX XXXX, again that's 08X XXX XXXX or, leave a message when you hear the tone ...."

Any calls that you get while you're on the web will bounce to voicemail and if you've someone who really wants to reach you they can call your mobile.

Also make sure you've got call waiting switched off #43# turns it off.

NB Activating *21* call diversion incurs a charge, each time you activate it and deactivate it, so it's not really a good solution. You'll also pay for the cost of incomming calls diverted to your mobile at normal UTV or eircom mobile rates (depending on who your calls or with).

Personally, I'd go with the voicemail as it's usually free or very cheap to have added to your account.

When you get a voicemail you get a strange dial tone on your line, so you know if someone has called simply by lifting the phone. You can also set it up to call you with message notifications, there's quite a sophisticated notification scheduling system in the eircom voicemail system.

Btw, one weird thing, if you move to another provider, the eircom system de-brands itself removing the eircom standard male voice and replacing it with either a default British or US lady. It's still the same system though.. very odd!

• Advertisement

I agree with Solair, rather use a service you are paying for any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're not worried about the cost, the fixed line network also supports call forwarding on busy (same as a
    Mobile network). You can use a * code to have it send calls to your mobile if the line's busy. You need to request that your phone company activates the service though. It's setup by dialling * codes similar to on a mobile. Again you pay for the forwarded call at standard rates!!

Also a handy voicemail tip on Eircom lines:
    If you want to change the time before it answers dial *62*(time in seconds 2 digits)#
    On some exchanges you'll get a voice prompt confirming it's set, on others you get a ringing tone which means it's set! (some can't speak)

Advertisement