Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for 09 gone up?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Renewing my private policy this month, and it seems that some companies have hiked their prices for 09, while others are staying as they are. I'm 30, 5+ years no claims, 0 penalty points and my insurance last year with Tesco was 670 Euro Comprehensive on my Cooper S Works. This year so far, I've gotten quotes of :

Tesco renewal : 716.74
    Quinn : 942.49
    Chill.ie : Website broken
    Allianz : Wouldn't quote for some bizarre reason
    One Direct : 540.16
    Insure.ie (AIG Policy) : 506.06
    123.ie 480.64

Obviously I'll be going with 123.ie, but you'd think in the current economic crisis that your existing company would be some way competitive in order to keep their customer base, and considering that this is the year I've turned 30, and hit 5 years no claims, you would think those milestones would help a little?

So what are the trends out there, are boardsies seeing increases, or decreases on their own policies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was with FBD for about 5 years, full NCB and full license for 9 years. Last year their premium hiked up, did a bit of shopping around and got a cheaper quote with Zurich through a local broker, went back to them asking if they could better it and they said they could not even match it. I had my home insurance with them too which was up for renewal also at the time and they lost both policies from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My sister's insurance on a mere 1.0 Corsa has shot up this year. My own is not due for a while yet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ned78 wrote: »
    Renewing my private policy this month, and it seems that some companies have hiked their prices for 09, while others are staying as they are. I'm 30, 5+ years no claims, 0 penalty points and my insurance last year with Tesco was 670 Euro Comprehensive on my Cooper S Works. This year so far, I've gotten quotes of :

Tesco renewal : 716.74
    Quinn : 942.49
    Chill.ie : Website broken
    Allianz : Wouldn't quote for some bizarre reason
    One Direct : 540.16
    Insure.ie (AIG Policy) : 506.06
    123.ie 480.64

Obviously I'll be going with 123.ie, but you'd think in the current economic crisis that your existing company would be some way competitive in order to keep their customer base, and considering that this is the year I've turned 30, and hit 5 years no claims, you would think those milestones would help a little?

So what are the trends out there, are boardsies seeing increases, or decreases on their own policies?

Ned, double check the policy exclusions with 123.ie - I'm pretty sure they don't insure if you work in the motor industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

Always check what is cover you are getting and not just the price.

The summer floods are costing insurance companies a lot of money.

With recessions I would expect compo culture to take off again as people find ways to make an extra few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I got insured for the last time last January for about €1200. My renewal quote was €740 with a load of extras I didn't have before. I was quite pleased but my Mum, who worked in insurance for a long time, was adamant I could get cheaper so I shopped around and the cheapest quote I got was €1400 - €200 more than my original quote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

R.O.R wrote: »
    Ned, double check the policy exclusions with 123.ie - I'm pretty sure they don't insure if you work in the motor industry.

Yea I just saw that alright. the extra with 123.ie seem to be the same with that I'm getting with axa (for 1,550) with 123 its 971.26
    I work in the motor trade and said to axa thats where |I worked. no biggie about it. ecept that they said I'm not covered to drive anyone else's car.
    I had told them that I never take a car out of work and never go driving anywere for the job. and then he put it back on the policy that I was ok to drive anyones(said it'd only be the gf's car anyway)
    But I dono how strict 123.ie are on working in the motor trade..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Oh god. I'm ~€1300 p.a. on my '02 1.4 Civic 3dr. Thats fully comp with windscreen. Got a requote from Quinn and its €2178, with a further years NCB/Full licence for an extra year. Not looking forward to July... 123.ie/FBD/Hibernian won't quote me (They did last year) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Also i would be weary about 123 giving you a policy with the excessdirect people.
    where you pay something silly like 400euro for the year but if you in a crash the excess is is like 4 or 5k.
    Im sure you know :)

Mate fell for it though and wasnt too happy when he had an accident and found out about the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I do about 2000-3000 miles a year in this particular car, so an excess doesn't really bother me - the excess in that case with 123.ie was 600 squid. I'm in the trade, if I have a shunt, I'll sort it out. I think the 123.ie was with AIG, but I'll double check it.

In my particular case as I do so little mileage, cheapest is generally fine for me as long as it has windscreen cover and breakdown assist just in case. 99% of the time, it's under a fleece cover in the garage with the alarm on, the tracker on, the immobiliser on, steering lock, garage locked and alarmed too. It must be the most disused car insured :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

With some cars they will have had a bad year of claims from them and so they will up the ratings on them to cover these costs, this may have been the case with your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

With one claim against me from February 2007 (one that's more than 40k) I've to stick with Axa until it all goes away in 2 years or so, no other insurance company looks at me. My policy is gone up by 400 quid already and I'm not for renewal until June :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I think the 123.ie was with AIG, but I'll double check it.

They resell Zurich insurance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Just got my renewal quote last week and the barstewards are looking for €400 more than last year. I thought they were taking the piss so I'm just after getting off the phone from them and they say that's the best they can do. Did a bit of shopping around and finally got a deal with AXA who'll do it for €100 less than last year, so that's a saving of €500 on my renewal quote from Hibernian (through a broker). Hibernian have hiked their rates and stopped all discounts apparently according to my broker. They are losing a lot of customers. My broker said he's had people on the phone to him all morning complaining about the rates and he's already moved 15 people away from Hibernian to other companies just this morning alone. Smart move Hibernian, massively increasing your prices in a recession.:rolleyes:

Ned78, be careful if that 123.ie policy is with Excess Direct. My broker was telling me about them. They are pretty dodgey and the cover is very basic. He likened them to sub-prime mortgage brokers! Oh, and their excess is €4,000 if you have a claim.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just to clarify, the 123.ie policy is not with XS direct. I've seen the horror stories of XS before, not a pretty picture. Has anyone heard of Wrightway elite? They're quoting a very small 320 quid fully comp with an excess of 190 Euro, breakdown assist, and full windscreen protection.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just to clarify, the 123.ie policy is not with XS direct. I've seen the horror stories of XS before, not a pretty picture. Has anyone heard of Wrightway elite? They're quoting a very small 320 quid fully comp with an excess of 190 Euro, breakdown assist, and full windscreen protection.

They are owned by Zurich

http://www.easyquote.ie/blog/index.php/2008/08/13/wrightway-elite-car-insurance-policy/

Also try insure.ie - that's the cheapest quote for me

Advertisement