Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blown Gasket Oil Leak

Options
  • 02-01-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Messy so it is.
    Anyone know how much it would cost to get fixed on a 2000 Punto?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

more than likely its the rocker cover gasket. They would cost you around €15 in your nearest fiat dealer. Any garage can fit one for you. I don't know how long it takes but i can't imagine it would be very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I could be wrong but i thought the heads were known for going on those model punto's?? If the head is gone you would be looking at more than €15 + labour. You'll need a new gasket, the head to to skimmed and the labour of taking it on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I could be wrong but i thought the heads were known for going on those model punto's?? If the head is gone you would be looking at more than €15 + labour. You'll need a new gasket, the head to to skimmed and the labour of taking it on and off.

Hmm. Thought it might be more alright.
    Whaddya reckon it costs then?

Might just trade the old lump in...
    It needs brakes, tyres, clutch and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Zamboni wrote: »

Gasket replacement in a garage could probably cost you in the region of 100-150. As previous poster stated, if it is the latter of the problems, and bearing in mind the other items you mentioned it needed, you'd be better off cutting your losses, although you might be sick at the trade price you will be offered. No offence, but the car, fully functional, would be attracting very little from a sales price prospective, particularly in the current climate.

Oh how I would love to be a cash buyer with no car to trade....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Zamboni wrote: »

With that needing to be done, they car is effectively a write off. Ie. it would cost more to repair than to actually buy another one. Car is probably worth 800-1000 max fully functional. It hasn't much of a value now. Advertise it for a few hundred euro's, and take what ever you get. Now is the time to be a straight deal buyer so take advantage of that.

If you want to go ahead and keep the car, for those bits you could be looking up on 1000++.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

What gasket is gone exactly?? there a loads of gaskets on a car?? if its your head gasket you will know about it, as it wont be messy as such, just more smoke out the back, and your engine overheating.

id get rid of it tbh, youd pick up somthing with a nct for the price youd pay to fix it to a nct standard.

you might even make a profit if you break it.

if its the rocker just replace it yerself. gasket will be e10 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Car is probably worth 800-1000 max fully functional.

If you want to go ahead and keep the car, for those bits you could be looking up on 1000++.

Both spot on points there.
    I'd costed it at around 900+ quid to fix up and its not even worth that.
    I just needed to hear it out loud ;)
    I shall go hunting tomorrow so.

Advertisement