Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGruders - January 3rd

• 02-01-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Feeling a bit bloated and blue now that the Christmas holidays have slid into the realm of Christmas Past?

Looking for something to do this weekend?

Get yourself down to McGruders (Thomas Street) for a night of home grown mayhem. McGrowlers will host a range of different musical delights to suit just about everyone out there who claims to have any taste (and maybe even those who dont)

There will be one room set out to expolore the many and various head melting techno/electro sounds

One room for all your grimey Drum n Bass / Dubstep / Jungle maniacs.

And one room boasting some of the finest Irish bands on the upcoming music scene at the minute.

There is a minimal charge of €10 on the door and the crazier the outfits the better.

Keep it foolish in 2009. See you at McGruders!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Playing at this, looking forward to it! I'm not sure my liver is though..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Does mcgruders do any drink promo's would you guys know?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭brianc27

'dj hard fcuking techno'

haha thats a great name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

does mcgruders only open certain nights? walked all the way down to it last friday at about half 11 and the shutters were down,

rang the place last night to see if it was open and it rang out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

does mcgruders only open certain nights? walked all the way down to it last friday at about half 11 and the shutters were down,

rang the place last night to see if it was open and it rang out

McGruders have lost their late licence and won't be opening for the forseeable future.

****, cheers for telling me, I didnt know whatwas up when the place was closed alright.

When you say forseeable future are you talking about more than a few months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

****, cheers for telling me, I didnt know whatwas up when the place was closed alright.

When you say forseeable future are you talking about more than a few months?

as far as i know, it was to do with noise pollution so it'll be a good while as places that lose their licence due to this have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the licence back (and even then it tends to be significantly restrictive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Giles wrote: »
    McGruders have lost their late licence and won't be opening for the forseeable future.

I think they have lost their license full stop. They don't even open during the day for lunch anymore.

penexpers wrote: »
    I think they have lost their license full stop. They don't even open during the day for lunch anymore.
    So where to now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jtsuited wrote: »
    as far as i know, it was to do with noise pollution so it'll be a good while as places that lose their licence due to this have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the licence back (and even then it tends to be significantly restrictive).

I think we all know noise pollution was only part of the reason their license was withdrawn.

Tip - don't snort coke openly in a beer garden where everyone can see.

eth0_ wrote: »
    I think we all know noise pollution was only part of the reason their license was withdrawn.

Tip - don't snort coke openly in a beer garden where everyone can see.
    Meh... meh, you see, typical coke heads need people to see them snorting the coke. A wankerish drug for ****.

Meh... meh, you see, typical coke heads need people to see them snorting the coke. A wankerish drug for ****.

True. I was amazed how, any time I went to stuff in McGruders, many people were really openly and blatantly taking drugs and making no attempt to conceal it, as if not being in the city centre offered some protection against bouncers throwing you out, or the drug squad.

At the end of the day you don't know who is standing beside you and i'm quite surprised the Guards never raided the place.

eth0_ wrote: »
    True. I was amazed how, any time I went to stuff in McGruders, many people were really openly and blatantly taking drugs and making no attempt to conceal it, as if not being in the city centre offered some protection against bouncers throwing you out, or the drug squad.

At the end of the day you don't know who is standing beside you and i'm quite surprised the Guards never raided the place.
    To be honest, i wouldnt shoot anyone down for passing around a spliff in the smokin area (im sure theres a few pubs in dublin youll get that like), but when openly doing the hard stuff or whatever, then, as i said, its just efforts to gain notice. 'Hey look at me im doing 12% pure cocaine' kinda ****. Hearing that people of that like frequented with the place comes as consolation to me if anything. Pity some people didnt get slightly upset over it and throw the ***** out.

Tell me, was the crowd changing a lot in age etc towards its final weeks / months? Subject to a hipster invasion or anything like that?

Last time I was in McGruders was sometime in summer last year, and there was a fair amount of scumbags there I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

What do you mean by scumbags ?

I never saw a single fight in McGruders.

If you go to a typical club in town full of posh rugby-heads you'll see fights or at least agro most saturday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I have to disagree I never saw so called "scumbags" :confused: Shame I liked McGruders played my first gig in there!

All good things come to an end in life, but just quicker in Ireland.

Seemingly, there's NOWHERE for the likes of me to enjoy a night in Dublin now. I banked on McGruders, but hadnt discovered it long before it was shut.

Seemingly, there's NOWHERE for the likes of me to enjoy a night in Dublin now. I banked on McGruders, but hadnt discovered it long before it was shut.

I hear that Twisted Pepper place is decent?

Advertisement