Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you watch fishing shows?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

This may be a bit daft so bear with me :) I'm just wondering how many people here (obviously with an interest) sit down and watch shows about angling? Let me explain a little - from my sig I'm very interested in a niche - eSports (gaming competitively) but have heard the argument that it is more fun to play than watch.....So I'm just wondering how other sports go about coverage and why do people watch.

So, wouldn't angling also fall under that category of "more fun and interesting to do than watch"? What is it about the shows that you like / why do you watch them?

🤪

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I would speculate that for every sport there are three armchair warriors for one actual.
    That's possibly a gross under estimate for high energy/fitness sports. Fishing should be somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Any fishing programme i have ever sat down to watch ie: Gone fishing( John Wilson), Total fishing,Source to sea,Predators (Matt Hayes) who ive had the pleasure of fishing with or passion for angling which is the oldest but one of the best angling programmes, Hooked on fishing (paul young) or Coast to coast with Darryl Grimasson are all more educational than just sitting watching somone fishing, they tell you all the best rigs to use, bait, how to handle and release fish properly, locations, times of year and the latest tackle on the market and most important of all, the conservation of our sport.
    Forget about Rex Hunt or any of those foriganeese fishermen, they dont have a clue.
    Books, TV programmes and trial and error.
    In my opinion going fishing the best way to spend my spare time, catching a fish is the bonus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I would like to watch fishing shows but there never seem to be any on when I'm watching TV. But as others have said, when I have watched them I've enjoyed them as a type of learning/educational show more so than watching a sporting event. If they filmed fishing competitions and broadcast them like soccer or golf or esports or something I couldn't see myself watching them.

I actually did catch a show on Nat Geo at the weekend, I think it was called "Hand Caught Monsters" or something like that. It was a fascinating documentary about different types of fishing by bare hand done around the world. It focused mainly on Okie Noodling in the US, catching catfish by wiggling your hand near them while they're guarding eggs and provoking them to bite down on your hand, it was amazing watching people pull up fish the length of their arms and thickness of their bodys clamped down on their forarm :) They showed a few other pretty cool methods as well. It's probably not something I'll ever do but it was fun to watch, in the same way I enjoyed watching the 2hr special "Journey to the Edge of the Universe" after.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Nothing beats the reel ;) thing! But like all sports/hobbies and pastimes you like to watch fishing in places you might never get to or fish you only dream of catching. For me watching a TV show just wants to make me go cast a line! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

no i think watching the shows is so boreing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yes

Advertisement