Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The current N25 Midleton bypass

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Much point in having Mway between Midleton & Waterford? the current N25 along this section is more then adequate for the traffic volumes using it, straighter then a lot of DCs ffs.

Because Rosslare is set to be the new Rotterdam of Europe, or so I've been told. ;)

I'd agree that the dodgy bits of the N25 need to be sorted out (Midleton-Youghal for example), but the recently upgraded bits are grand. In fact, they are a pleasure to drive. Why anybody would want to make them already obsolete for an unneeded DC, is beyond me. But this is Ireland we're talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting upgrading Cork - Waterford to DC or M.

But I do think motorway restrictions are needed on the N25 around Cork once the upgrades are done (whenever the hell that may be).

As for Dunkettle, I don't even know where to begin to be perfectly honest short of ripping it out and starting again. And let's not forget the hideous new junction that's going to be placed on the N8 between Dunkettle and Glanmire to add to the fun.

Anyway, like I was saying: M-way restrictions on all parts of the N25 around Cork. They don't even have to label it "M" just put up "clearway", "no cyclists", "no pedestrians" and "no slow vehicles" signage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

There was a flock of cyclists on the N25 at Little Island Westbound in the Hard shoulder over the Xmas period (possibly the 29th). I've come across individual cyclists in the past but this was a whole club seemingly. Sooner or later there is going to be an accident involving this type of behaviour.

As for Dunkettle lets compare and contrast with the NR bypass: one is justified and is at an advanced stage on the basis it connects a not very busy port far away from anywhere with light traffic numbers, the other is an Interchange which will get worse before its going to get better.

To paraphase Lennoxschips only in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I would guess it is far more likely for a car to run into a cyclist than vice-versa so maybe it is cars that should be restricted on the n25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

corktina wrote: »
    I would guess it is far more likely for a car to run into a cyclist than vice-versa so maybe it is cars that should be restricted on the n25

Good 'un

2712875592_f20ea41c1d.jpg?v=0

My sides are splitting at that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting upgrading Cork - Waterford to DC or M.

NRA are ;)

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCountyCouncil/N25MidletontoYoughal/SchemeName,15508,en.html

http://www.corkrdo.ie/n25_midleton_to_youghal_road_improvement_scheme.php

Guesswork DC or 2+2. And the Youghal bypass will be modified, but it'll only be a case of widen one bridge and just chuck a barrier up. It really will be very little effort to dual the Youghal bypass.

There used to be a scheme to replace the Youghal bridge too, dunno where that went. Given the land in the area and the fact that its mostly very scenic, I dunno how the hell a new bridge would be put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been hit by cyclists in traffic at least 4 times (me stationary, them not).

I've never hit a cyclist.

I have no issues with cyclists, as long as they're not on MY DC...

I shouldn't have to drive down the SRR worrying about whether I'll bump into a cyclist or somebody who thinks it's a great place to walk their dog.

M-Restrictions NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Technically is it fine for a person to walk over the SRR bridge at Douglas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yup, I've seen it. I've also seen a horse and cart on the DC outside Mahon. The horse was not impressed.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    I've been hit by cyclists in traffic at least 4 times (me stationary, them not).

I've never hit a cyclist.

you'll have to try harder then:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Technically is it fine for a person to walk over the SRR bridge at Douglas ?

Why wouldn't it be?

Edit: What bridge is that? The only bridges over the SRR I can think of are the one by the Mahon Point exit where people can walk over from the old railway track and the one over the Sarsfield Road roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Sorry, i meant is it guarunteed that a new Parralell route will also be built in addition to rebuilding the dual carriageway section ?

yup ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=69570&d=1231010751

attachment.php?attachmentid=69571&d=1231010791

theres a huge bridge at Douglas...it carries the SRR OVER the village roads....:D I trhink it is permissable to walk anywhere unless it is specifically banned (such as near Blackpool on the bridge over the old road)

It is also OK for anyone to use a non-motorway however they see fit and this includes Pedestrians and cyclists....about time that King Car was deposed.

theres a huge bridge at Douglas...it carries the SRR OVER the village roads....:D I trhink it is permissable to walk anywhere unless it is specifically banned (such as near Blackpool on the bridge over the old road)

It is also OK for anyone to use a non-motorway however they see fit and this includes Pedestrians and cyclists....about time that King Car was deposed.

Yup. People can cycle, run, walk their dog, feed their cat, do a jig, push a trolley, whatever they like on a viaduct with no hard shoulder.

It's insanity.

And yes, as green_jesus has brilliantly shown, a new parallel road will be provided for non-motorway traffic.

Stark wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be?

Edit: What bridge is that? The only bridges over the SRR I can think of are the one by the Mahon Point exit where people can walk over from the old railway track and the one over the Sarsfield Road roundabout.

Over the SRR Bridge. Not the bridge over the SRR. :D

The bridge which takes the SRR over the centre of Douglas. It is a tight bridge with two lanes going either direction and no hard shoulder.

Walking over it would be nothing less than suicide. Funnilly enough it would be much safer to walk through the Lee Tunnel as it has a path. Yet this would be illegal.

yup ;)

Am I right in seeing that there is going to be two roads, both north and south of the N25 to be provided for local access ?

Any idea will they be straightening the road much in order to bring it up to HQDC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Am I right in seeing that there is going to be two roads, both north and south of the N25 to be provided for local access ?

Any idea will they be straightening the road much in order to bring it up to HQDC ?

Yes the new link roads with connect with rezoned land and also tie in with the north link road in Midleton currently under construction.

NRA: 'Although the route is
    constructed to two-lane dual carriageway standard, the
    section from Carrigtohill to Midleton is to a lesser
    standard than the more modern western section. The
    NRA proposes to provide a full grade separation of the
    junctions to the west'.

Well im not sure about HQDC but when they level out the hills to put in the interchanges the line of sight on that stretch will vastly improve.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Yup. People can cycle, run, walk their dog, feed their cat, do a jig, push a trolley, whatever they like on a viaduct with no hard shoulder.

It's insanity.
    And yes, as green_jesus has brilliantly shown, a new parallel road will be provided for non-motorway traffic.

now im confused...I was pretty sure that relief road was nowhere near the viaduct.....

now im confused...I was pretty sure that relief road was nowhere near the viaduct.....

No... I was referring to the Midleton scheme...

• Advertisement
Advertisement