Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saving games to the hard drive?

• 02-01-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi is it true that you can save games to the hard drive of the xbox and play them with out using the disk? If so,how do I do this? Cheers,Ian

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You can save the games to the hard drive but you still need the disk in the drive to actually play it. The advantages are that you experience shorter loading times and the system stays cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

On the My Xbox screeen highlight the game in the drive and press Y, an option to install to HD appears.

doesnt seen to make much difference imo and some games like HALO 3 tell you not to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

dreamers75 wrote: »
    On the My Xbox screeen highlight the game in the drive and press Y, an option to install to HD appears.

doesnt seen to make much difference imo and some games like HALO 3 tell you not to do it.
    It makes the xbox a lot quieter. No disk spinning in the drive so its just the noise of the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

how do you do that seeing as sooner or later the gtaIV disk will weld itself to the (rather flimsy imho) disk tray

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

are you sure you cant play them without the disc in the console?
    I only got round to doing this update last night and i had heard the disc was still needed so i tried playing rainbox6 vegas 2 off the hard drive while army of two was in the disc tray. it worked no problems.,

would it be that my update is newer than yours or something? or has it always been the case that you can play them without the disc?

phototoxin,connect the console to the internet and download the update,
    the go to "my xbox" then go right until you get to "game library". when you have the disc in the console the game will be in the list there, then just select the game and click "install to hard drive".,
    then when you want to play it in future, go to the games library again and it'll be there.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 stevejcraven

vtec wrote: »
    I only got round to doing this update last night and i had heard the disc was still needed so i tried playing rainbox6 vegas 2 off the hard drive while army of two was in the disc tray. it worked no problems.,

would it be that my update is newer than yours or something? or has it always been the case that you can play them without the disc?

phototoxin,connect the console to the internet and download the update,
    the go to "my xbox" then go right until you get to "game library". when you have the disc in the console the game will be in the list there, then just select the game and click "install to hard drive".,
    then when you want to play it in future, go to the games library again and it'll be there.,

You definitely need to have "a" disc in the drive but if what you say is true maybe you don't need to have the same disc as the game you're looking to play in it.

Another thing. Unless you have a big HD I wouldn'y bother as downloading the game uses up an awful lot of space.

Im off to xtravision to rent out everything i cant afford to buy so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

no it couldn't possibly work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

xbox is way quieter without it. I presume that can help protect against rrod

It dosn`t work, your loosing your marbles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

seanybiker wrote: »
    xbox is way quieter without it. I presume that can help protect against rrod

Aye, the HD is kind of external, so less heat should be being produced inside it...
    Slightly quicker load times and a much quieter console = win

cisk wrote: »
    It dosn`t work, your loosing your marbles.

Well, ive just tried it again, incase i was going a bit mad. and it does work.

At the min im playing COD4.,:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Installing also does away with a lot of the texture pop-in and lag of some unreal engine games like The Last Remnant and Mass Effect. Pity I have only a 20Gig HD so only one install at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Well, ive just tried it again, incase i was going a bit mad. and it does work.

At the min im playing COD4.,:)

I tried launching L4D, Force Unleashed, Lips and Fallout with Sonic Unleashed in the tray. None of them worked. There may be some games that don't read disc IDs or a publisher may have the same disc ID for a number of games, but I'd be betting on the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

same here, tries to launch fallout 3 with the rs2, gta4, condemened2 and sr2 disks and it wouldnt load with any of them....

Keep trying, you just have to get the right combination of games.

I launched Gears 2 with the Kung Fu Panda disc in the drive:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

/subscribes to thread.

interesting...can't say I've tried to launch with a diff game disk in the drive.

Keep the combos coming :)

surely this can't have been discovered here there must be a list somewhere, can anyoen else confirm the gears of war 2 one?

surely this can't have been discovered here there must be a list somewhere, can anyoen else confirm the gears of war 2 one?

you own kung fu panda too :eek:

I was only joining in on what seemed like an obvious troll tbh, there's no way that MS could possibly be stupid to release an update that allows something like this, and if they were it would have definitely been patched by now/splashed all over Kotaku

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    I was only joining in on what seemed like an obvious troll tbh, there's no way that MS could possibly be stupid to release an update that allows something like this, and if they were it would have definitely been patched by now/splashed all over Kotaku

killjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Heh... on the plus side, sales of Kung Fu Panda probably went up 500% this afternoon. Good work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Turncoat

I installed Bully to my hard drive and it worked without the disc whereas COD4 doesn't. Maybe it depends on the game title or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

My Fifa disk got borked so i rented a copy and loaded it to hdd , the origional disk I have still loads the game as it only reads the first few rings on the disk to verify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

can anyone cofirm if COD4 will work with the COD5 disc

• Advertisement

Just tried it, It didnt work. Maybe its only certain games or somthing then.,

Advertisement