Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mission UK

• 02-01-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I only got into this excellent band a couple of years ago and I am very very impressed with the albums that I bought. I'd known about them previously for quite a few years, but I never really gave them a proper listen, and at the time the only songs I knew and loved were 'Wasteland' & 'Tower of Strength'.

Last year I decided to buy three albums: 'Gods Own Medicine, Children & Carved in Sand'. The latter album is unfortunatly the weakest of the bunch but its still worth having. In terms of the sheer amount of stunning songs that they've done, I'd say they nearly match up to Fields of The Nephilim. Since I discovered them they have become my second favourite 80s goth rock band next to Fields.

What are favourite songs albums etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Great band, I was well thrilled that I've had the chance to see them when they played in Vicar Street years back. Terrific show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Great band, I was well thrilled that I've had the chance to see them when they played in Vicar Street years back. Terrific show.

Thats great, but its a pity that they split up. I think they may have going downhill musically though.

Thats great, but its a pity that they split up. I think they may have going downhill musically though.

Aye, I think the later stuff was pretty bad. With Nephilim, they went out on a high. Still though, this threat had me flicking through a few videos on youtube, some great nostalgic buzz. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Excellent band. Great musicianship and songwriting. Gods own medicine still stands as a one of the best albums of the 80s and I think it still sounds great today. Their new album - God is a Bullet - is also well worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Awesome band, thought this thread would never start!! :D

Saw em at Vicar St in May 02, Temple Bar Music Centre (September?) 05, Bristol and Manchester in 07 and the final three Shepherds Bush Empire gigs in February/March this year. All amazing performances. Saw Hussey solo at Whitby Gothic Weekend earlier this year, but it wasn't great, although from what i'm told, that was an off performance and he was nervous as his folks were in attendance.

Their last drummer, Steve Spring one hell of a nice guy, and blagged us backstage after the Manchester gig where we got to meet the rest of the band. Who are all really nice guys. Even Hussey was in great form despite the fact that he was catching up with his daughter there (she's still in the UK whereas he's moved to Brazil with his current wife). And to ice the cake, i got to meet and greet briefly with Simon Hinkler earlier this year, who is also a hell of a nice guy, and funny as hell.

They disbanded in March this year (for the second time), with the final show, playing the entire Carved In Sand/Grains Of Sand albums. I've a few pics of the show which i'll throw up in a while.

Sorry for the ramble, but couldn't contain myself :D

• Advertisement

If Aura had been their last album, i'd have agreed with that statement, but i thought they were doing a great job bouncing back with GIAB, Unfortunately, some people can't handle the fact that it's not the late 80s anymore when it comes to the Goth music scene.

Pics from Shepherds Bush Empire earlier this year.

opening.jpg
    band-long-range.jpg
    band-with-simon.jpg
    mark.jpg
    wayne-baileys.jpg

That's five photos out of about 200 i took that night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

To me, The Mission were always a rung below the other bands in that 'category' (I use that word loosely) Still loved them though. Their videos were always hilarious, Tower of Strength anybody?

I know I'm living in the past but I get really disappointed seeing people like Wayne, Andrew etc with short hair and ageing skin. It doesn't seem right somehow.

Great pics Shawnraven.

Peared wrote: »
    To me, The Mission were always a rung below the other bands in that 'category' (I use that word loosely) Still loved them though. Their videos were always hilarious, Tower of Strength anybody?

I know I'm living in the past but I get really disappointed seeing people like Wayne, Andrew etc with short hair and ageing skin. It doesn't seem right somehow.

Great pics Shawnraven.

Cheers,
    Hussey actually looks human though. You seen Eldritch these days? Skinny with a bald conehead resembling a neo nazi?!

And if you think the video for Tower is warped, check the video for Serpents Kiss or Into The Blue, the latter having a rare brief appearance of Hussey without his shades.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    thought this thread would never start!! :D

I wonder how far behind the Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy threads are?

• Advertisement

Most people usually lump Sisters and Mission discussion together, much to the annoyance of both sets of fans. ;)

I like both those bands, but not as much as FoTN obvisouly. Bauhaus are very good, but I'm not a massive fan, simply because they don'nt have as much standout songs for me, as FoTN and The Mission do.

Pics from Shepherds Bush Empire earlier this year.

opening.jpg
    band-long-range.jpg
    band-with-simon.jpg
    mark.jpg
    wayne-baileys.jpg

That's five photos out of about 200 i took that night. :)

Fantastic pictures.:)

Fantastic pictures.:)

Their final gig. :(
    Wish it was february 08 all over again. :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

good band in their prime....really liked 'deliverance' and 'blood brother'....wayne hussey is an idiot though....had the misfortune of meeting him twice...:cool:

good band in their prime....really liked 'deliverance' and 'blood brother'....wayne hussey is an idiot though....had the misfortune of meeting him twice...:cool:

Met him twice myself, it really depends on

1) If his wife is there and is nagging him for most of the day
    2) If Craig Adams is there and his nagging him for most of the day.

Personally, he was sound to us both times.
    (Oddly enough, i'll probably end up seeing Craig Adams as i'm off to Wales to see The Alarm, who Craig is now a part of. Craig for all intents and purposes is supposed to have been a miserable git around Hussey, but is a completely different person around Mike Peters, which does back up your point to a degree)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Met him twice myself, it really depends on

1) If his wife is there and is nagging him for most of the day
    2) If Craig Adams is there and his nagging him for most of the day.

Personally, he was sound to us both times.
    (Oddly enough, i'll probably end up seeing Craig Adams as i'm off to Wales to see The Alarm, who Craig is now a part of. Craig for all intents and purposes is supposed to have been a miserable git around Hussey, but is a completely different person around Mike Peters, which does back up your point to a degree)

LOL....yea craig adams was nagging him both times...probably explains it

LOL....yea craig adams was nagging him both times...probably explains it

From what i've gotten from the Names book, Hussey & Adams get along well as musicians in a studio, but they're not great on the road together. Adams isn't great overseas either, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Count Orlok

Great thread, great pics, great band...yeah poor Craig flipped out on the Sisters tour in the US bit of an unstable traveller!!!! Seen them in Finsbury park around 1990 in the Simon Hinkler days, in the Olympic Ballroom around 88 when Red Lorry Yellow Lorry supported them (as I can recall...it was 20 years ago....doh!!!!) and numerous times since. I think Neverland had a couple of good songs too, but after Mick Brown left they seem to lose thir engine room a bit...what do ya think?

...and yes Eldritch has lost it! Too much speed not enough drive.

• Advertisement

Great thread, great pics, great band...yeah poor Craig flipped out on the Sisters tour in the US bit of an unstable traveller!!!! Seen them in Finsbury park around 1990 in the Simon Hinkler days, in the Olympic Ballroom around 88 when Red Lorry Yellow Lorry supported them (as I can recall...it was 20 years ago....doh!!!!) and numerous times since. I think Neverland had a couple of good songs too, but after Mick Brown left they seem to lose thir engine room a bit...what do ya think?

Not sure if it was solely down to Mick Brown leaving, Blue was recorded with him in the band and that was about as pleasing to the ears as it's cover was to the eyes.

When they reformed in 99, everyone knew it wasn't going to be the original lineup, although apparently Hussey did try but it was "logistically impossible", a word i'd actually believe as Hinkler was (and still is) living in the States with no interest in touring, and was starting the groundwork for "Lose The Faith", while Mick Brown was nowhere to be found, last seen driving trucks for Oasis.

I'm surprised they lasted until 2008 to be honest though, i thought they would have finished after the Aura Toura ended in 2002, as Craig Adams had left (again) at the end of 2001, Mark GT left (or was pushed, depending on whose side of the story you read) about two months before the Vicar St gig, and was replaced by Rob Holliday. And then Scott Garrett left after the tour.

So i'm kinda thankful they stuck around for another four years. :)

Yeah great band, good they lasted as long as they did coz when Wayne wasnt too pissed he always delivered on stage shame they didnt keep up the standard of the first four albums though. Hillarious TV though when he was hammered on James Whale Show got all obnoxious and took off his shoe and threw it at the camera....great days!!:D

Yeah great band, good they lasted as long as they did coz when Wayne wasnt too pissed he always delivered on stage shame they didnt keep up the standard of the first four albums though. Hillarious TV though when he was hammered on James Whale Show got all obnoxious and took off his shoe and threw it at the camera....great days!!:D

Pretty sure i still have a clip of that from James Whale somewhere. Alcohol tended to influence Hussey in a negative way unfortunately, and his solo show at Whitby last year kinda indicated that. He was completely sloshed before he'd even gotten on the stool, i'd wondered how long it would take before he ended up falling off the stool, the way he was wobbling on it!

Advertisement