Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1997 Passat

Options
  • 02-01-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all

My drivers door electric window is making groaning noises and I think its most likely that one of the plastic links to the window regulator has broken......its a known fault. From my enquiry with a local VW garage, its not possible to buy just the links, VW only supply a regulator kit which includes the links but is unnecessarily expensive.

Does anyone on the board have such an item or maybe in a position to help?

Thanks in anticipation of replies
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

2tiredkjl wrote: »
    Hi all

My drivers door electric window is making groaning noises and I think its most likely that one of the plastic links to the window regulator has broken......its a known fault. From my enquiry with a local VW garage, its not possible to buy just the links, VW only supply a regulator kit which includes the links but is unnecessarily expensive.

Does anyone on the board have such an item or maybe in a position to help?

Thanks in anticipation of replies
    Kevin

I think your stuck with the regulator Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 2tiredkjl

Hi Darragh

You're more than likely right. However I read a post from Robertd 07, that he made about a month ago, wherein he said that he had a pair of links..........so I was hoping he might respond to my appeal for help..........no harm in trying. I think my next step will be to try a car breaker and see how I get on there.

Thanks for the reply
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think certain parts are available from a main dealer but not listed in the parts catalogue - I remember something to this effect from a few years back but I can't remember the exact details. It may be worth contacting a few VW dealers - the better the storeman the more information you will get. Try Martin in Foster Motors - he knows his stuff and won't bullsh1t you.

My experience with these type of problems OP is if you take it out and replace linkages, you'll put it back in and something else within the regulator assembly will break pretty soonafter. My number one mission above all else was to never have the customer coming back to me with the same problem, so on this basis, it would be a whole regulator assembly or else I'd happily see the car being taken down the road to someone who would spend a day rooting around at it for 30 Euro...

This sounds uppedy and gimpish but my way of looking at this was either it was done right or not at all. It might be possible to get the linkages from the Main Dealer but in this case I don't think it is but I could be proven wrong there.

Op ask the main dealer parts guy for an explosion diagram for the door in question, these diagrams have the individual part number of components and subcomponents. Then you might be able to identify the actual part number for the linkages and order them... Most decent parts guys will run you off a print out of the explosion diagram and let you have it, it saves them messing up when you come in and order a part number as distinct from a part so they are usually happy to give you this info...

You might need a chassis number for this, particularly if it is a VW...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 2tiredkjl

Hi Darragh

I tried the local VW franchise and the storeman (a nice guy) checked to see if it was possible to get the links separately but his reply was that VW only supplied the regulator kit which included the links.

I've read the passat internet boards and my problem fits the classical and well known problem of a broken link..........evidently I'm lucky that I've got away without having this problem for so long. It was in searching the internet that I came across Robertd's entry on boards.ie where he said he had a pair of drivers door window regulator links, as a result of repairing his own window but only needing the cable and not the links.........so I was hoping for the best but it looks like I will have to prepare to do some searching with carbreakers or pay up for the new full regulator kit.

Thanks again for the replies
    Kevin

Advertisement