Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At least i gave Harvey Norman a chance

Options
  • 02-01-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Nintendo Wii console with Wii sports in Newry 183 euro

Phoned up Harvey Norman - 250 euro

Told them id give them 183 cash or go to newry

The guy said they couldnt because of the government ??

In fairness to him he wasnt irish

Also said to me if it broke id have to go back to newry

I said yeah - its 20 mins to you and 40 mins to Newry

Newry - here i come

Jetlag:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You also wasted time & money on the phonecall. Do you think they really care? I could ring the shop in Newry and say I can get it cheaper in new york, no real shock that things can cost more or less in other countries.

Whats with the jetlag? picking up cheap bread in mongolia ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

vat ireland 21.5%
    up north 13% (think it is anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

TGi666 wrote: »
    vat ireland 21.5%

There's also basic facts like how we get paid more then they do in the UK, and UK-based companies have much larger buying powers (even Irish wings of UK companies buy their own stock themselves here at a higher cost because we buy less of it).

Sometime soon people will realise that buying stuff up north will absolutely have a knock on effect on the job situation down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sometime soon people will realise that buying stuff up north will absolutely have a knock on effect on the job situation down here.

I don't think anyone doubts that it will.

but as in the good times these shops looked after themselves and regardless of the costs been high there's no way that i n some cases they were 50%+ higher.

they refused to offer value for money this has been on the cards for over two years and even now most still not offering value for money.

The shops themselves could of prevented this.

I was in london before xmas and the creativity by shop owners over there to win buisness get you in the door and keep you shopping was very very celver

what do they do here to try and win business? nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

rubadub wrote: »
    You also wasted time & money on the phonecall.

Probbably a max of 5 minutes and €1. Well worth it for a saving of €67 (even factoring in travelling to Newry) IMO, especially seeing that the OP could do a weeks shopping (maybe more) for 30-40% less than they could do it for down here while up buying the Wii
    Do you think they really care?

If they don't care about losing huge amounts of business to retailers in Newry and other places up North then they are either stupid, unrealistic or the only retail chain in Ireland not being effected by the economic downturn and/or Sterling v Euro exchange rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

Sensational value up in Newry

I figured Harvey Norman would do nothing when i called tbh but they're always rabitting on how they can't be beaten on price in their ads.

I gave them an oppertunity to make a sale and they didn't take it

Their loss is Newry's gain

Playing Golf on my Wii now

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The government and retailers here don't seem to be bothered about doing anything to stop the mass amounts of people going up north, so why should we give a dam about knock on effects, it's not us that need to make changes and sort out the mess our government has got us into.

Our governemt say we are unpatriotic :rolleyes:, thats rich coming from them when all they can seem to do in these harsh times is to slap us with more stealth taxes and price increases.
    I don't see them doing the patriotic thing for the people of Ireland and help us or take a big wage decrease for that matter. When it comes to patriotism, that starts with my family and my pocket first.

For all of you that will say things are dearer here because of higher wages (which we need cause of the cost of living going up all the time), costs, taxes, transport, etc... all them costs are just pure greed driven profits from our government down to all the people who run businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

TGi666 wrote: »
    vat ireland 21.5%

15% actually does someone want to send a link of this thread to the aussie guy who owns them who was going out about ireland and we werent buying enough in his shops. he said he wished he'd never opened here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

RRP is E249 in Ireland(and always has been), anyone charging lower will have Nintendo to deal with.

Just because the exchange rate is particularly in favour right now, doesn't mean HN should price match for a product available in another store in another country.

What about those rip of merchants who were charging upwards of E270 since launch, where were the complaints then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

zAbbo wrote: »
    What about those rip of merchants who were charging upwards of E270 since launch, where were the complaints then?

I 'complained' by not buying one in Ireland. I bought one in Newry about 6 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'll listen to the self-sufficiency argument when we stop relying so heavily on multi-national corporations. We are an export-based economy. The only way we're going to be competitive in that field is if we're better/cheaper/more productive than other nations.

Nothing will scare us into trimming the fat off Ireland Inc more than a loss of sales.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

How is shopping around unpatriotic? The stores in the Republic need to slash their own costs and staff wages, rather than moaning to the ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I'll listen to the self-sufficiency argument when we stop relying so heavily on multi-national corporations. We are an export-based economy. The only way we're going to be competitive in that field is if we're better/cheaper/more productive than other nations.

Nothing will scare us into trimming the fat off Ireland Inc more than a loss of sales.

Exactly! This is a good thing. Its gonna help make us competitive again. We became rich(relatively speaking), fat(literally speaking), slow and we need to become lean. Think of it like Monday morning hangover after the weekend spending your hard earned. Its just a shame that those who never saw any huge benefit from the boom are gonna get screwed twice.

The RRP's are set by Nintendo, both stores are selling the system at the RRP for their zone.

The price difference is down to FX, so ringing Harvey Norman and asking them to price match makes about as much sense as asking them to match J&R's in downtown Manhattan, NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MrJetlag

J&R Manhatthan €162 euro at current exchange rate.

I think if you factor P&P Newry are well matched.

MrJetlag wrote: »
    J&R Manhatthan €162 euro at current exchange rate.

I think if you factor P&P Newry are well matched.
    It's not E162, just like the Wii in Newry is not E183.

You can't ask any shop to price match to another country, what happens in 6 months when Sterling recovers and the prices are less favourable?

The point is the difference in in the FX, which is outside of control of shops selling Nintendo Wii's

zAbbo wrote: »
    just like the Wii in Newry is not E183.
    Wii with Wii Sports in Smyths in Newry £160 / €167

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Wii with Wii Sports in Smyths in Newry £160 / €167

Due to current favourable FX from STG to Euro.

My posts are in response to the OP asking a euro region shop to go below the RRP to price match to another country. Nintendo are extremely strict on their regional pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I don't have an issue with things costing different amounts in different countries. Different costs, wages, vat etc.

but where the arguement doesn't hold up for me is the fact that those costs, while they may have increased in the past year or so, i just don't believe they have increased to warrent the price differences we are seeing now. I don't expect companies to reflect currency fluctuations on a daily basis but surely they must at some point.

the point about rrp makes sense but does not apply to many companies eg department stores, clothing shops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You also wasted time & money on the phonecall.
    Probbably a max of 5 minutes and €1. Well worth it for a saving of €67 (even factoring in travelling to Newry) IMO, especially seeing that the OP could do a weeks shopping (maybe more) for 30-40% less than they could do it for down here while up buying the Wii
    Well worth the phonecall? they didnt match the price :confused:
    Do you think they really care?
    If they don't care about losing huge amounts of business to retailers in Newry and other places up North then they are either stupid, unrealistic or the only retail chain in Ireland not being effected by the economic downturn and/or Sterling v Euro exchange rate
    I meant the person on the other end of the phone. But if you want to get into the owners of such shops, I am sure they know only too well people are going up north. Do you really expect them to match a price and probably make a loss? i.e. they would be buying from nintendo or their agent here, and probably paying more than you could get it in the north. Their hands are tied, so I would again say they do not care, and would not like their time wasted answering calls like that, and having their nose rubbed in it.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I was in london before xmas and the creativity by shop owners over there to win buisness get you in the door and keep you shopping was very very celver

what do they do here to try and win business? nothing.
    As I have said in many threads if things were really so good down here, and profits so high, then why are northern shopkeepers not selling up shop and moving here? Why are Irish people not copping onto this golden goose and opening retail stores here? Do people really think retailers in the north and south are completely different species or something? cruel miserly bastards running shops here, and mother Teresa's running shops up north...

I figured Harvey Norman would do nothing when i called tbh but they're always rabitting on how they can't be beaten on price in their ads.
    Red Alert wrote: »
    How is shopping around unpatriotic?
    When a politician says "shop around" they do not mean go to another country to buy your stuff. And when companies say they can't be beaten on price, they also usually mean within the same country. Otherwise you would have some smartalec with a list off 200 countries when going into tesco demanding he get milk for the price it is in china etc.

I gave them an oppertunity to make a sale and they didn't take it

Their loss is Newry's gain
    They did not make a loss, they probably would have made a loss if they were to match that price though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

When a politician says "shop around" they do not mean go to another country to buy your stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the main perks to being in Europe is enabling people to shop around without borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

the invoice cost of a Wii (sports pack) is 270€ inc vat.

the RRP is 250€

its a instant loss on all retailers and can only salvage margin with some bundles.

its ridiculous you expected a retail store in the south of Ireland to match one up north.

this recent attitude of 'give it to me for this price or im never coming here again' is getting a touch silly.

Also, alot of retail companies that promise a price match usually have a small print which includes price match within 2 miles of store..etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Antigone05 wrote: »
    the invoice cost of a Wii (sports pack) is 270€ inc vat.

the RRP is 250€

its a instant loss on all retailers and can only salvage margin with some bundles.

its ridiculous you expected a retail store in the south of Ireland to match one up north.

this recent attitude of 'give it to me for this price or im never coming here again' is getting a touch silly.

Also, alot of retail companies that promise a price match usually have a small print which includes price match within 2 miles of store..etc..

Just getting back to the harvey normans theme...I priced a yamaha dsp-ax763 av receiver in HN a couple of days ago for €649, last night I ordered the same amp for delivery to her fathers house from pixmania for €320....

Folks, I have never spent so much in the last few weeks and I am finding products from rabbit hutches to av amps at ridiculous prices...

A touch silly? Oh no my good man I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

buy my statement of ' a touch silly' i mean by the attitude given by alot of people which i didnt make clear.

fair enough if something is cheaper elswhere, snap it up!i would!

but if dealing with another retail store, ask if they can match the price..if not..just walk away.

ive seen way too many people thrown in a little dig at sales staff and they have nothing to do with the prices on the sales floor.

also online is always going to be cheaper compared to bricks and mortar.
    less overheads etc..

Antigone05 wrote: »
    also online is always going to be cheaper compared to bricks and mortar.
    less overheads etc..
    Thats not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes, and there's also a phenomenon called 'the ratio of caring to knowing'.

People always act in their self-interest. Snore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Told them id give them 183 cash or go to newry

I can't imagine this being said out loud in any voice that doesn't sound insufferably smug.

If something's cheaper elsewhere, then go for it, but we're not quite in such recessionary depths that we've actually reverted to a barter economy or anything.

So, ugh, can we all agree to stop being smug to Till Monkeys who aren't in control of the prices and don't especially mind where you get your Wii?

Advertisement