Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning an item which isn't broken.

Options
  • 02-01-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, I bought a humidifier in Argos, it said: Maximum room size 25m squared.
    The room it was to be used in was maximum 22.5 and while the humidifier wasn't faulty I don't feel that it worked well enough.
    I see on the National consumer agency website that products should be "Fit for the purpose they were bought for". Should I go back or am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

leftright wrote: »
    I don't feel that it worked well enough
    I call that faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

As far as i know your within your rights if it doesnt do it purpose,but if your only returning it due to change in mind or taste,your at the shops discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The room it was to be used in was maximum 22.5 and while the humidifier wasn't faulty I don't feel that it worked well enough.

What do you define at not working well enough.

Did it fill it's tank with water ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leftright

jhegarty wrote: »
    What do you define at not working well enough.

Did it fill it's tank with water ?

The reason I got it is because the central heating in the house makes the air noticeably dry, uncomfortably so in one particular room. Although the humidifier worked it just didn't humidify enough! So maybe it's a bit subjective...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The reason I got it is because the central heating in the house makes the air noticeably dry, uncomfortably so in one particular room. Although the humidifier worked it just didn't humidify enough! So maybe it's a bit subjective...
    So it worked but not as well as you wanted it to, ergo you don't really have a case in the first place.

The good news is that Argos accepts items back with original receipt for 28 days as I recall. Hence even though there are no legal right for you to return it Argos will still accept it (this is going by my foggy memory on Argos return policy though so that part can be corrected by someone else if wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leftright

Nody wrote: »
    So it worked but not as well as you wanted it to,

Exactly, hence the questions...

It's actually a 30 day money back guarantee but not if you've used the item. And Argos were particularly unhelpful and unfriendly about the whole thing.

Edit: It did say for rooms up to 25m and I was using it in a smaller room than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Nody wrote: »
    So it worked but not as well as you wanted it to, ergo you don't really have a case in the first place.

The good news is that Argos accepts items back with original receipt for 28 days as I recall. Hence even though there are no legal right for you to return it Argos will still accept it (this is going by my foggy memory on Argos return policy though so that part can be corrected by someone else if wrong).

Whoops, assumed it was a de-humidifier...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Exactly, hence the questions...

It's actually a 30 day money back guarantee but not if you've used the item. And Argos were particularly unhelpful and unfriendly about the whole thing.

Edit: It did say for rooms up to 25m and I was using it in a smaller room than that...

Under the sale of goods and supply of services act, goods must be suitable for the purpose intended. If it didn't live up to the claims of 25 metres you should be entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

not so! in it's most basic form the item does what it's supposed to,the effectiveness of it is subjective the manufacture could refute your opinion and say they found the room quite cosy,who's to say which of you is wrong?

now if they claimed that it could make the tea and it couldn't well then you'd have a case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

so it didnt do the job you wanted it to do?

regardless of getting technicial its still the OP consideration that the product did not live up to her expectations.

However if it were to be challenged and the product does work accordingly with the manufacturers spec but not to the standard that the OP wishes then she would have no case to return the product and get a refund etc.

I think Argos however will take back an item within a period so long as its resaleable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think Argos however will take back an item within a period so long as its resaleable

If you were buying a humidifier tomorow, would you be happy to get the one the OP had? Or would you want a brand new, unopened one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

how long do you have the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you were buying a humidifier tomorow, would you be happy to get the one the OP had? Or would you want a brand new, unopened one?

i would prefer a brand new one but that decision to resell is argos choice and I could refuse at the counter based on damaged packaging etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Most units quote the amount of litres it is able to evaparote into the room in a given time frame (eg. 4L / 24h). If the unit consumes at least this amount of water in that given time frame, then it isn't faulty - the unit just isn't as effective as you'd like it to be. Unfortunately for you, Argos would be within their rights to refuse a replacement. That said though, they are usually excellent when it comes to returning stuff so it may be worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i would prefer a brand new one but that decision to resell is argos choice and I could refuse at the counter based on damaged packaging etc

Exactly, so they are taking back somethign they probably can't sell.

The whole issue here is about opinion and whether the op feels it humidifies enough for his likeing.I'm sure they could show it was tested in a certain size room and it humidified to x%.

Whether that % is enough is a matter of opinion for the op.

Advertisement