Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed!

Options
  • 02-01-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hi there: I'm clueless when it comes to things like this so help needed.

I'm moving into a house next week for three months, there is no broadband in the house, but I need it. What's the easiest way for me to get it, the other girls don't want it so I can't go down the ntl route, what should I be looking for so I can use it on my laptop??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

One of the Midband products , 3g or Ripwave , would be best but note that contracts can often be a year which is overkill.

If there is an existing phoneline you could add a BB package to it, paid for by you , but the min DSL contract is 6 months and there would be a disconnection charge at the end and the router may have to go back too meaning you would have to take it with you when you leave .

Given how awful Irish midband products can be you may find that paying ( in effect) double for DSL is a better idea becuase of the 6 month contract and the fact that it works as advertised .

eircom 1Mbit BB would be €25 a month , free dsl router that you keep, min 6 months and €30 or €40 disconnect fee . Total nearly €200 for 3 months but it will work .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

For what you get pay for a year's real broadband for 3 months can be better value depending on your internet needs.

NTL= UPC is cable broadband and can be subscribed to without TV. Cost is €336 for a year. There needs to be a cable connection already. No phone line needed. Works out at €112 a month if used only for 3 months.

You can also pay for a year's Metro and at basic package given there is no line rental it would be €419.20 for a year. That's equivalent to €140 a month if you have it only 3 months. It needs no cable or phone line but an outdoor radio/aerial unit about 2x size of a lunch box.

Not all phone lines work for DSL and about 2/3rds of the cable TV network supports Broadband very well, UPC working on the rest, some of which supports BB. Metro and other wireless products may not have a signal.

Mobile and Ripwave products may give a very slow speed or erratic connections if the signal is poor or there are many users where you live.

Three months is a very problematical length of time for a real broadband install. You might get a discount paying for a year in advance or a special rate less than a discounted year paying for 3 to 6 months in advance. Ring around.

Then again, you might not be able to get Broadband at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

make sure you get a BB only contract not a bundle like eircom talktime or bt talk ( with dsl) as these are one year contracts

cheapo operators like perlico and imagine and vodafone will ONLY offer a bundle which will be a one year contract .

for DSL only ( on top of an existing phone line) I believe your only choices are Digiweb , BT and Eircom.

Be careful about ownership of modem at end of contract . eircom will allow you keep it but the other two may want it back and could send a package out to the address ( and you not there any more ) for you to post it back .

The same applies to the midband operators. 3g providers allow you to own the modem but not ripwave or clearwire ....clearwire are a 24 month contract so avoid them completely , even if their system did work which it does not .

There are 3g data 'add ons' where ( eg meteor) may give you a 3gb-10gb data allowance for a month ( month to month) but this is pointless without a 3g phone or a phone that supports EDGE ( a faster 2g standard of about 128k supplied by o2 and Meteor only )

You may have to move to a 'business' phone package to avail of the addons but may not be locked in for any more than month to month and may already have a compatible phone such as a nokia N or E series .

Do not expect any honesty from phone salesmen in shops so ask in the mobile forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411

HTH .

Advertisement