Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Questions! Broadband and bus routes!

• 02-01-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Me again, few questions for you lovely Ennis people!

Firstly, Im looking to get one of those net connections for my laptop as the house im moving to doesnt have internet, anyone have an experience over which is good/bad for the Gort Road area? Im thinking of 3.

Secondly are there any bus routes that go from those estates on the Gort Road into town and or towards the Ennis bus station?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think 3 is supposed to be the best overall package, just take the trial first to see which gets you the best coverage.

I have to admit that I had a bit of a chuckle at the thoughts of bus routes around Ennis, sorry, none to be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

re broadband depends what you want, if its just the usual web browsing 3 mobile bb is fine, but if you want heavy downloading you'll want dsl from eircom or similar, 3 do a cheap mobile bb pay as you go option afaik aswell, i have friends that have irish broadband on the gort road, 19.99 a month for 2mb up/down broadband in a box pack, which is good enough, but not the most consistent, i use eircom myself i find them good, but pricy, really depends on what you use broadband for

bus station is opposite side of town from gort road, you could walk it, but its a bit of a track, cycle it no bother, taxi no problem but those feckers know how to charge so could be expensive to do every day, twice !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Brilliant info thanks.

I figured it was a long shot asking about the buses, it is quite a trek from the station to the gort road, well if any of ye see me lugging a suitcase/gear-bag down that road over the next few months stop and give me a lift!!

I'll prob go for 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You could always do a scan for nearby networks and see if any are open, not sure of the legality of that, either that or if you spot your neighbours with broadband, offer them a tenner a month to sponge off them ;)

I can imagine it now, I spot a nice young nurse walking down the street with a bag, offer a lift, I think my defense would be "Your honor I thought she was a Lady from the internet"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'll be definitely doing a local area scan for sure!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

If you're a heavy internet user keep away from the mobile broadband. The caps aren't nearly as high as a traditional DSL package from Eircom. Watch a few streaming movies, or torrent a few DVDs and that's it for the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I figured it was a long shot asking about the buses, it is quite a trek from the station to the gort road, well if any of ye see me lugging a suitcase/gear-bag down that road over the next few months stop and give me a lift!!

If you are arriving into Ennis on the Cork-Limerick-Galway bus, you can stay on the bus at Ennis station and ask to be dropped off at Kelly's Korner which is beside the hospital - I used to do it in the past.

If you are coming on the train, you're snookered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Clareman wrote: »
    You could always do a scan for nearby networks and see if any are open, not sure of the legality of that, either that or if you spot your neighbours with broadband, offer them a tenner a month to sponge off them ;)

I can imagine it now, I spot a nice young nurse walking down the street with a bag, offer a lift, I think my defense would be "Your honor I thought she was a Lady from the internet"
    It's also very easy to get the WEP code if the wireless is called "eircom00 0000" or something on those lines, its how we always had broadband in my old house in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leesah

I'm using Amocom in Quin & haven't had any problems being online 24/7 ,paltalk chat, & Google constantly. not sure if they service that side of Ennis, but it would be worth a try to ask. The sales inquiry number is 086267050
    goodluck!
    Leesah

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I've been using Vodafone 3G Mobile Broadband for nearly 1 year at €29.99 a month (5GB limit unless you pay a bit extra).

It's not too bad, supposed to be 7.2 Mbps but never is!

I tried 3 but didn't work where I live near Miltown Malbay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

Secondly are there any bus routes that go from those estates on the Gort Road into town and or towards the Ennis bus station?

Thanks in advance:)

When I used to get the Ennis-Shannon Airport bus years ago, it used to go around Ennis Town from the station along the Clon Road over to Kellys Corner down to the Colaiste and then out the Mill road. There was a stop there at Kellys Corner. On the timetable it still says it goes around Ennis town, don't know what route;
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202386644-344es.pdf

The Shannon-Ennis bus also goes around Ennis town:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202386645-344se.pdf

You will have to ring Ennis bus station and ask them what route the bus goes around Ennis Town

Advertisement