Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of drink in dublin!!!!!

Options
  • 02-01-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

I paid over 19 euro for 2 vodka's, 1 coke and a pint last night in The Quays in Templebar. such a joke!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Why didn't you ask the prices before hand...or at least refuse to pay and leave when told of the price?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I paid over 19 euro for 2 vodka's, 1 coke and a pint last night in The Quays in Templebar. such a joke!

Are you saying that was a fantastic price for the goods or a bit on the high side?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's hardly what you could class as expensive for Dublin.

I presume the prices were in and around the below which is average enough for that area in Dublin city.

Pint 5.50
    Vodka 5.25
    Coke 3.00

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

That sounds normal for Dublin City, and if the pub owners don't cop on nobody will be going to the pub anymore.
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's hardly what you could class as expensive for Dublin.

I presume the prices were in and around the below which is average enough for that area in Dublin city.

Pint 5.50
    Vodka 5.25
    Coke 3.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Pocket friendly 7.1cl bottle of Huzaar - €2.99 in Superquinn
    Mixer in a pub €3
    Total €5.99

The student friendly way to drink in Dublin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I remember on a work night out in Messrs Maguire one of the guys I work with was driving so I got him a pint of lucozade - it was a euro or two more than the price of a pint!

They make an absolute killing on mixers. 3 euro for one of those little glass bottles of coke when a can (which costs what, 1 euro?) is a bigger volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Temple Bar is the most expensive place to drink in Dublin alongside Dawson Street. If you didn't want to pay those prices why go there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The boards drama group had our Christmas nite out in December and arranged to meet for pre theatre drinks in the Temple Bar pub in temple bar. It was over €6 for a pint! 2 of us said to the barmen when we were charged but he didnt give a toss. we only had time for one drink before the show but needless to say we didnt return there for post theatre drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Where is the surprise coming from?

Knowing Drink is extortionately Expensive in Dublin Pubs is like knowing Humanoids need Oxygen to survive.

If you pay thems prices, then you sir become an Enabler! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Where is the surprise coming from?

Knowing Drink is extortionately Expensive in Dublin Pubs is like knowing Humanoids need Oxygen to survive.

If you pay thems prices, then you sir become an Enabler! :(

I find your sensational unnecessary use of capital letters quite perplexing. I think i need a drink to think about it some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

faceman wrote: »
    I find your sensational unnecessary use of capital letters quite perplexing. I think i need a drink to think about it some more.

Ohh I wish it was a sarcastic 'Thanks' Button :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was in yorkshire over christmas £2.05 a pint and people were complaining there over the price of a pint !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Never mind the drink guys! Ha vent you noticed the food price hikes cigarettes etc.......
    This is without a doubt most expensive country in Europe.
    My friends even tell me from other European countries that Ireland is disgraceful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

Its absolute madness !! I refuse to go to a pub or nightclub in dublin anymore. even at that the drink is muck compare to the likes of germany where you can get a pint of proper beer for half the price. And the way they mesure the spirits here as if it were liquid gold :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

hallstatt wrote: »
    Its absolute madness !! I refuse to go to a pub or nightclub in dublin anymore. even at that the drink is muck compare to the likes of germany where you can get a pint of proper beer for half the price. And the way they mesure the spirits here as if it were liquid gold :D

^^ And that because it is to the pub owners and the the government :mad:

You know what would be sweet if irish just stopped going to the clubs and pubs and stopped drinking bring them all to stand still.Nice kick in teeth for them :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

6 for €8 Fosters has done me over the xmas, actually dont think I was in a single pub over the break!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eth0_ wrote: »
    I remember on a work night out in Messrs Maguire one of the guys I work with was driving so I got him a pint of lucozade - it was a euro or two more than the price of a pint!
    You bought him 2 lucozades so. I don't get why people do this in pubs, when they would very rarely drink a full pint of soft drinks like that at home, especially something like lucozade with so much sugar/glucose in it.

Some here have some macho bull**** about having to have "pints". I remember a guy in work at a work do ordering a bottle of carlsberg, they had none so brought him a half pint instead. He went MENTAL, grabbed a pint glass and lashed it in, ruining the carbonation in the process. I was asking why he ruined it and he starts going on about half pints being ghey :rolleyes: I was saying a bottle is 330ml, so in between, surely that must be for bisexuals by that logic.

A pint of coke in my local would be €8.40 (it takes 3x200ml bottles to fill a 568ml glass). It sickens me buying longnecks or spirits in rounds, knowing the pub owner is laughing at us, never understood why people cannot see how much more they cost compared to pints. I started a thread on it a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Most pubs in Dublin are at least €5 a pint (of lager) now.

A lot of them seem to have pushed up prices just before the much advertised "price freeze for a year".
    i was in yorkshire over christmas £2.05 a pint and people were complaining there over the price of a pint !

Was over in London in October for an Arsenal match, was paying about £3 in pubs nearby. Went into the stadium, asked some passing punter where to buy a beer, as he gave me directions he added "but it's £3.50, a rip-off". I was tempted to tell him never to go to Dublin.

rubadub wrote: »
    You bought him 2 lucozades so. I don't get why people do this in pubs, when they would very rarely drink a full pint of soft drinks like that at home, especially something like lucozade with so much sugar/glucose in it.

Some here have some macho bull**** about having to have "pints". I remember a guy in work at a work do ordering a bottle of carlsberg, they had none so brought him a half pint instead. He went MENTAL, grabbed a pint glass and lashed it in, ruining the carbonation in the process. I was asking why he ruined it and he starts going on about half pints being ghey :rolleyes: I was saying a bottle is 330ml, so in between, surely that must be for bisexuals by that logic.

A pint of coke in my local would be €8.40 (it takes 3x200ml bottles to fill a 568ml glass). It sickens me buying longnecks or spirits in rounds, knowing the pub owner is laughing at us, never understood why people cannot see how much more they cost compared to pints. I started a thread on it a while ago.

Very true actually, good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

My folka and bros were down for a couple of days around new years and i had them bring enough drink down from the north to fill a swimming pool as we wouldnt be going out. Brought them down for a swifty and they couldnt believe that they had to hand over the guts of a fiver for a pint. Lot of drinking in the house followed.

Think of it from a visitors point of view when they have to pay a fortune for drink!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rubadub wrote: »
    If getting coke, orange, or sprite, try to get it "on tap". It comes out cold, and from a canister, thus cheaper for them and you. Had it the pub I worked in. A pint of it would usually work out the same as a glass bottle of the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

pubs are legally required to display prices at the entrance

and it's not like there's a shortage of pubs in temple bar, you can shop around just like with anything else

Advertisement