Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol 08 Golf filled with diesel and driven

Options
  • 02-01-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Anyone have any ideas regarding where to take a petrol 08 Golf filled with diesel and driven until it died! VW garage is quoting €600-€1000. Seems a bit pricey. I think the cat has to be done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're looking at a new fuel filter and possibly a new cat depending how much damage has been done to it. May be other work required - injectors possibly?

How on earth did it get filled with diesel though? Diesel fillers are too high bore to fit in petrol filler mouths these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Not sure to be honest sister in law did it. Do you reckon an independant garage is the best way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MYOB wrote: »

How on earth did it get filled with diesel though? Diesel fillers are too high bore to fit in petrol filler mouths these days...

Yeah, was wondering that myself for exactly the same reason. It's been a long time since I've come across diesel in petrol car - the reverse is relatively common though.

I must ask her where she got it

I'd have to wonder if there was an almighty cockup in the filling station...

• Advertisement

Apparently it was Apple Green in Celbridge and she checked it deffinately came from a diesel pump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 V22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Let us know how this hapened,the nozell shouldnt fit in to the petrol filler,

Was it maybe Kerosine/parafin she put in it.

Its amazeing what the superior species (women)can do when the set there mind to it....

i'll be sure to let you know, seems like a bit of an odd one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

what engine is the golf ? if its a gt your screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

MYOB wrote: »
    You're looking at a new fuel filter and possibly a new cat depending how much damage has been done to it. May be other work required - injectors possibly?

Does that not strike anyone else as a strange way of doing things? Considering a diesel car filled with petrol is far more damaging than the other way around, wouldnt you think they would make it so that a petrol nozzle cannot fit in a diesel car rather than the other way around. Makes no sense.

Old diesels barely missed a beat if you accidentally slopped a few litres of petrol in them. Of course, new ones are far more badly damaged by the affair...

Its the 1.6l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

If it's 08 she may be better off going to the dealer as it still has a year or more warranty left on it. At least if it is fixed by them they shouldn't be able to come back and say warranty is void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Advertisement