Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever gone to a nightclub on your own?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Have any of yee ever gone out on your own or drinking on your own? I wouldn't be able to do it myself...don't know why but i just wouldn't be able for it! I hear, though, that going for a few pints on your own is meant to be very relaxing!

Anyway, what you do yee think of this, and have any of you ever done it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I believe the relaxing comment refers to pubs not nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yep, a good few times.

Usually if I'm in town early/ meeting people later on and waiting for them to arrive, but wouldn't see any problem doing it on any given Friday or Saturday if no one else was up for heading out.

Not a bother on it. And as you're on your own, it's a lot easier to get chatting to people than when you're in a group. You'll meet some characters when boozing on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have when Im away with work. I have twice gone to a nightclub but there is nothing to do but get drunk and smoke and then you try to talk to somebody but then the amount of smoking and drinking you have done gets in the way even though the only way to get to talk to somebody is by drinking and the smoking is a horrible bi product of the drinking.

Drinking on your own as a rule leads to a very bad place in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Tis quite commen ,or at least it was when i lived there to frequent some dublin pubs in the morning or early afternoon and see people sitting quitly reading the paper over a coffee or pint .I did it many time myself and very relaxing although dont think going to a nightclub on your own would have the same appeal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No, I retain my dignity crying in to an empty can sitting naked at my computer. But that's never happened though.

But if you smell of p!ss, have a nervous tick and talk to yourself (occasionally shouting) then work away. You may find like minded folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,400 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

pubs, yes.

Nightclubs, no. Nightclubs are never 'relaxing'.
    Pubs, if there's a game on or you can bring a paper

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming to nightclubs so no. I haven't gone drinking on my own in a pub so far. Maybe if there was a match on I really wanted to watch and I was away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

A few pints in a quiet pub with a book can be relaxing and enjoyable. I also think this is reasonably socially acceptable.

A bloke on his own in a nightclub though... although there is nothng "wrong" with it, I would consider it slightly abnormal behaviour. Nightclubs wouldn't be classed as relaxing environments for me either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Have gone to the pub on my own when working away or to see a match. No big deal to be honest. If you are friendly and sociable you will meet people to chat to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Na i would never do it. I know one lad from Tipp that comes into the pub all the time on his own. he's only 24. i couldn't. I would drink away at home though. infront of the fire with the TV on and the dog haha. but na I would never head out on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Not to a nightclub but been to plenty of bars by myself, mostly abroad. For our pride in our drinking culture, it's strange that the Irish seem to be the only ones who think it weird to go to a bar alone with the casual intention to get chatting to strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Probably more easier to approch a stranger in an irish pub ,for a chat than an english one .A guy on his own looking to chat in english pub to stranger can be seen as 'weird ' but that might just be an english thing and defo easier to chat to an irish person in an irish pub ( provided he's not to pissed outta his head ) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Have often went and watched football alone its no problem but wouldnt go for a session alone. it wouldnt be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Only when travelling abroad alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The odd time, and only when a pub is nice and quiet - I might pop in with a paper or a book. Better again in the summer when I can sit outside. A club, no. That said, I dont feel the need to go out in a group. One or two others is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i go quite a lot to watch the football and there are plenty of others there doing the same on their own but otherwise no. if i ever drink on my own i'm practically asleep after one pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I do the whole time really. Probably cos im where i am.

Love it though, generally speaking, i find that you meet another small group and are the best of friends for a few hours then never see each other again.

What happens if you're in a club and you friend dissapears with a girl? Do you just call it a night and go home aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd never do it, I have a good friend who does this all the time though.

He works alone and usually heads out to a club by himself if no one else is going.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I love having a pint or two when Im away on work. Very relaxing and kinda gives something to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

It's not a big deal at all. Some people enjoy it while others wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

What is it with our infantile attitude towards alcohol in this country? If you replaced club with cafe in the thread title, would there be the same responses decreeing it as being 'abnormal' or strange behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Photi wrote: »
    What is it with our infantile attitude towards alcohol in this country? If you replaced club with cafe in the thread title, would there be the same responses decreeing it as being 'abnormal' or strange behaviour?

You can't compare a café and a club, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I like my own company so many atimes a go to the pub by myself, a nightclub maybe once or twice but i felt odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

gf's granny died, shes off to berlin for funeral.

So i'd say its a night of randomers for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Only when travelling abroad alone.

Same here. Never went to a nightclub by myself here. I've drank in pubs here during the day by myself. Mostly while trying to pass time waiting for someone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Would go to my local on my own often enough to watch matches/ chat with ones I know there. Have gone out to bars in town an my own on occasion (often after getting knocked out of a poker tourney! ha) Never to nightclubs alone but have gone to nightclub with ones I met after going to the piub alone. It's definitely easier to get chatting to folk but wouldn't fancy doin it too often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Never gone on my own apart from Fresher's Week in first year of college (where I generally met several people I knew at some point in the night anyway).

I have been left on my own in clubs on a few occasions. Usually because I lose my friends (sometimes for an hour or two, sometimes for the rest of the night). Depending on my mood it can be great, random fun or a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Seems kind of depressing to be honest. Not to mention dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

would definitely go to pub in ireland on my own but not nightclub, however when away in britain or continent would often go to clubs on my todd. don't know why but feel more relaxed in foreign clubs

Advertisement