Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever gone to a nightclub on your own?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i did it once only because i really wanted to see the dj that was playing.it wasnt the worst, i got very drunk beforehand because i knew id feel awkward by myself, drank even more in there to pass the time and ended up more drunk than if i had been with mates.none of my mates have any interest in dance music so thats the only reason it happened.might have to do it again soon as theres another dj i really want to see coming up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spudster101

Have went to pubs on my own a good few times. Maybe watch a match or that. Cant understand why people say they would go to pubs on their own over clubs.
    The music in them are usually too loud to talk neways so standing there on your own wouldnt look all that odd.
    Pubs on the other hand sitting there by yourself looks a bit off since everyone is chatting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Just wondering, do the people who have said yes here go to the cinema on their own often too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Pubs on the other hand sitting there by yourself looks a bit off since everyone is chatting.

Who cares? Can ye not just sit in silence with a pint? Read a book or the paper, or watch a match. I've done this many a time, and will again. A nightclub though, seems a bit odd. I'd feel awkward, but if you're up for it then I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

The only time I've ever managed to bring a girl home with me from a nightclub was when I wandered in there on my own.

Back of the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If I want to drink alone i'll go to the offie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

steo87 wrote: »
    Hey,

Have any of yee ever gone out on your own or drinking on your own? I wouldn't be able to do it myself...don't know why but i just wouldn't be able for it! I hear, though, that going for a few pints on your own is meant to be very relaxing!

Anyway, what you do yee think of this, and have any of you ever done it?

You sound like your very young, female or both.

Although I wouldn't routinely go to a club by myself I'll frequent my local by myself no problem.

Nothing better than taking the paper to the bar and necking a few pints in your own company, I love it.

Read the paper, watch a bit of TV. Have a natter with the barman or some other poor sould at the bar and leave feeling like the worlds an altogether better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

latchyco wrote: »
    Probably more easier to approch a stranger in an irish pub ,for a chat than an english one .A guy on his own looking to chat in english pub to stranger can be seen as 'weird ' but that might just be an english thing and defo easier to chat to an irish person in an irish pub ( provided he's not to pissed outta his head ) :D

thats cause brits are paranoid. everyone they don't know is a rapist / terrorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pubs yes. You can watch a match or some other sport event like Wimbledon or you can read the paper
    Go to the cinema on my own often, I see no issue with it and screw anyone who looks down on me as they don't have the confidence to go on their own.

Nightclubs? nay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

towel401 wrote: »
    thats cause brits are paranoid. everyone they don't know is a rapist / terrorist
    Well a bit of an over eggageration to be honest .I didnt mean to imply that every british pub is anti social ,not at all and in fact some are as friendly as some irish pubs towards people on their own but what I ment was you can chat to the guy /girl on his in some irish pubs better because your on your own turf in more familiar surroundings .but seen as you mentioned rapists ,well regardless of what large city or town you live in, it does pay to be careful with strangers in general anywere .I think that is accepted everywere now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

id never go to a club on my own.. weird. not like ya can start conversation or anything, its too loud.
    pubs yeah if ya wanna go for a quiet one with a book/watch a match or something, never dne it but wouldnt see the problem once in awhile. but its more of a social place so id prefer going out with a mate or five.
    as for cinemas, gone a few times on my own during college breaks last year but it was free with the UGC card and i know peoples who work there so we'd have lunch first an stuff :)

I have done, and have had the best night's out in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

latchyco wrote: »
    Well a bit of an over eggageration to be honest .I didnt mean to imply that every british pub is anti social ,not at all and in fact some are as friendly as some irish pubs towards people on their own but what I ment was you can chat to the guy /girl on his in some irish pubs better because your on your own turf in more familiar surroundings .but seen as you mentioned rapists ,well regardless of what large city or town you live in, it does pay to be careful with strangers in general anywere .I think that is accepted everywere now .

i think its the other way around really, if ya go to a way out place its easier to talk to people, even locals because you're from a far off place and that is more interesting to them than just another langer from down the road.

there are some very safe towns around.unfortunately not so much in england or ireland as there are always trouble makers. i dunno england just seems to be a fairly hostile place. maybe a remnant from the good old days of IRA and now Al Qaeda and the large amount of scumbags roaming the street over there. although you can tell a scumbag straight away they are still suspicious of ordinary folk, especially those who venture into a pub by themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Not recently but I have done more than a few times, pub + a few pints and a crossword can be very relaxing way to spend an evening if there's no one around.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pub frequently on my own, pint btl. of bulmers and ice with ice and a paper, Class! Peace and Heaven!

Nightclubs only when pissed!

As for trouble makers, YEP, plenty of them, keep myself to myself and no bothers in years. Could well happen, but will not stop me!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Have gone to cinema, talks, comedy clubs plays and gigs by myself. Have gone to a nightclub but to meet people so doesnt really count - wouldnt go to a drink fueled enviornment on my tod. But if I want to see or do something yep why not -some may think bit of a loner maybe but like my own company and have great freinds- do stuff with them too so who cares what others think - let them get their own life!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Seen a couple of threads like this on the boards before.

cinema on my own? No big problem, slightly prefer going on my own if I'm 100% honest.
    restaurant on my own? Yes no problem, but only because I just happened to be on my own and starving.
    pub on my own? hate doing this, have done once or twice, feel awkward sitting on my own in a place where I'm used to being with people I know. I'm not much for getting into friendly conversations with complete strangers.
    nightclub on my own? No, I don't think I've ever done this. and if i did it was becauase I'd be sure to meet a few friendly faces. You can get away with reading a paper in a pub but not in a night club. Again, all goes back to not being cool talking to strangers. (that's not to say if someone comes up to talk to me I don't know what to do, but I wouldn't wander over to a person and just start jabbering.).

Sometimes I hear about people that go off travelling on their own and have a great time. I'd almost guarantee I could do a world trip on my own and talk to about 10 people in total.

Generally speaking, it's much much much better going to pubs/clubs with a bunch of friends or at least your other half/best mate.

A nice quiet pint and a good book while beside a warm fire in a friendly pub can be pure heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

steo87 wrote: »
    Hey,

Have any of yee ever gone out on your own or drinking on your own? I wouldn't be able to do it myself...don't know why but i just wouldn't be able for it! I hear, though, that going for a few pints on your own is meant to be very relaxing!

Anyway, what you do yee think of this, and have any of you ever done it?
    Done it a few times. Im a chatty fella so i would talk to a wall if i got a reaction.

Going to pub on me own. I always do it but end up meeting people i know in the place. Not trying to get a big head but i cant go into any pubs around town without meeting someone. It is bad though, if ya just wanna quiet one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Sure I'd be so locked by 12:30 anyway it wouldnt matter if I was out with a group in the nightclub.
    Doesn't happen that often though, honest...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

wtf can't people read a thread title.

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Who cares? Can ye not just sit in silence with a pint? Read a book or the paper, or watch a match. I've done this many a time, and will again. A nightclub though, seems a bit odd. I'd feel awkward, but if you're up for it then I don't see the problem.
    why can't you just sit at home and do the same for less than half the price and in comfort without looking like a scrounger hahaha. Na I don't think it looks bad if an owl fella goes to the pub on his own. I would too if I was retired or bored all the time. but not if you are a young man. its a bit strange then

I have to say going to the cinema on your own is a lot more strange than going to the pub on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

TheLoc wrote: »
    I have to say going to the cinema on your own is a lot more strange than going to the pub on your own.
    How so? You go the cinema to sit quietly in the dark and watch a film... why on Earth would you be so insecure that you need someone you know sitting next to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I went to a club on my own last weekend, but that was only because the people I was with in the pub beforehand had no intention of moving, and I didn't want to miss one of my fave DJs... (Ben Stevens ****ing rocked the gaff!)

Was a bit weird at first, but I'll definitely do it again...
    If you want to be by yourself, sometimes being in a crowded club can be the best place to be... Yet at the same time if you're in a new city and want to meet likeminded people, it can be an easy thing to do alone without looking like a weirdo

How so? You go the cinema to sit quietly in the dark and watch a film... why on Earth would you be so insecure that you need someone you know sitting next to you?
    No not insecure. It just wouldn't feel right. I think the cinema is designed as a family friend or loved one outing. Thats my opinion so I just think it's strange to go on your own. unless ur in a foreign country and bored off your trolley I suppose.
    But everyone is different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tipex

Cinema - place for going with loved one or friend, not really if you've a genuine interest in film! go to cinema alot alone and with friends etc no difference.
    Pub - would have no problem going on my own and sitting for 30 mins with drink waiting for someone or spend couple of hours if had reading material. Although i have a friend who won't sit at the table alone while i go to bar to order drink but think some girls just like this, they would think sitting in bar alone quite strange which i just can't understand.
    clubs - went with people once who wanted to leave but the music was so good i lost them and spent the night dancing on my own. Could only do the club part if i was pretty drunk and the music was really good.

I think cinema and night club is a big no no to be honest. I can't imagine that being too good. I genuinely do think it is strange sorry. A pub I wouldn't do but I can understand it. no problems there. I probably will do it when i'm older. But cinema or night club on your own..... No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Citizen

Yes.

Not to drink, but to seek out a particular scumbag who had been causing trouble for his neighbours. Lucky for him he was not there that night.

When the economy is on a downfall, the future is bleak for the good people of this country. And with the ever increasing army of scumbags gradually taking hold it's time for heroes to emerge.
    It's time to take charge.

It's time, for The Citizen.

:mad:

what are you on about u clown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Vigilanteism ftw

Advertisement