Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever gone to a nightclub on your own?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I did it once. But only because I was hiding from some vigilante type bloke. Think he called himself The Resident or something like that. Anyway me mate Deco got wind that a dodgy looking bloke (even dodgier looking than me) with a hat was about to come into McGraths so i snuck out the backdoor. Not before stealing someone's drink and calling a young fella a knacker tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

TheLoc wrote: »
    what are you on about u clown?

Banned for personal abuse and for ruining my does the lord count as a person? joke.

Mostly the personal abuse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I go to the cinema on my own sometimes. Usually if the OH is away, or if she really doesn't want to see a film. Wierd thing is, when I'm on my own, I'm much more likely to tell some noisy fecker to stfu :confused:

I go to the pub on my own every Sunday afternoon. A few pints down my local before dinner. I love it. Chat to the barman, read the paper, watch the telly, it's a great way to wind down.

I have been to a couple of nightclubs on my own, but not for years, and only when I was single. Can't say I was that impressed with the whole experience, but I'd probably do it again if I was single. Don't see a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd say the vast majority of women I've picked up were by being in the pub on my own. I'm not the type to go and chat up a woman unless I'm in a very talkative mood so when I'm sitting at the bar alone they'll often come over to me. There's always to barmaids too. :) Going to a niteclub alone is a bit too much though. I'd probably get drunk after a couple of hours for drinking so fast in boredom and awkwardness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yes.

Not to drink, but to seek out a particular scumbag who had been causing trouble for his neighbours. Lucky for him he was not there that night.

When the economy is on a downfall, the future is bleak for the good people of this country. And with the ever increasing army of scumbags gradually taking hold it's time for heroes to emerge.
    It's time to take charge.

It's time, for The Citizen.

:mad:

What in the name of jaysus are you talking about? Stop trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I fail to see whatthe problem is with going to the cinema on your own. It's not like you're going to be sitting there chatting to the person beside you throughout the film, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think going to the pub (a space for social interaction) alone is far more strange than going to the cinema (not a space for social interaction) alone. Lol at people who value social convention more than common sense.

I'm not judging people who go to the pub alone but it seems strange to me personally. However it's socially acceptable - that's the main thing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

TheLoc wrote: »
    Just wondering, do the people who have said yes here go to the cinema on their own often too?

I always go to the cinema alone. The only reason I go to the cinema in the first place is because I'd have a genuine interest in the film being shown.

Why would I want some lady type sitting beside me asking questions about the plot every 5 mins?

In fact I do a lot of things alone. I don't really understand how people need to have company to go places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I went to gigs a few times on my own. Its quite fun and you get to meet new people.

Never went to nightclubs on my own as i'm not a clubber guy. I only go when i'm really forced to go by my friends n such...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I often sit at home.... alone.... ALOT!!! Does that count?

I feel sad now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Do you charge yourself +5€ for a watered down beer?
    Q2002 wrote: »
    I often sit at home.... alone.... ALOT!!! Does that count?

I feel sad now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Do you charge yourself +5€ for a watered down beer?
    1. Sit at home
    2. Charge €5 for watered down beer
    3. ?????????
    4. Profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ah lads, you're having a laugh, right?

I've gone out and gotten absolutely sh*t faced on my own before!! haha, who cares?

In fact, I may even do it tonight!! My scenario is I love going out at the weekend. Don't generally drink during the week. Example of this weekend, I didn't go out last night cause I wasn't well, a few people were out and I have a generally small social group of maybe 5 or 6 lads I would contact to go on the beer. If none are going out and I want to have a night out, why the fu*k should I let someone else decide if I can or can't?

Some people have massive social circles and multiple groups of friends, I'm quite happy to keep my old school close group of mates and have lots of "friends" who I'd never generally contact to meet up or anything but would see them in the course of day to day life.

The thing is though, you can feel like a bit of a gimp at times. You generally wouldn't get chatting to groups of people that much and certainly wouldn't latch on to a group of "mates" for the night, and I don't think anyone would like to either! I certainly wouldn't feel right hanging out with a load of people I didn't know, I'd feel a bit weird to be honest, especially on my own!!

Plus, the Irish, in our very conservative social ways, believe that somebody must be weird if they choose to go to the pub get out and have a bit of craic on their own rather than what any NORMAL person would do and just sit in bored off their ass cause they had nothing to do.

Feck that man!!

You'd be amazed how much you can pull being on your own though. Sometimes it's reason enough for A GIRL to initiate a conversation with A GUY!! I can't think of any other scenario in Irish history that this has happened.

Possibly during the famine when some girl saw a lad eating a roll from spar and asked him for a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Anytime I've went to a night club on my own to wait for people, I get refused going to the door on my own? I think the bouncers presume your someone from a group they turned away earlier, So i then have to hang about town for the group to meet up then get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I've been to clubs where there are older 40s+ men out on their own.. you know they're just there to perv on the young girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

abi2007 wrote: »
    I've been to clubs where there are older 40s+ men out on their own.. you know they're just there to perv on the young girls.

I'd be more inclined to guess they are lonely aging men trying to find someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Never go to night-clubs on my own but once inside I generally go off wandering on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

abi2007 wrote: »
    Yes! thats Ryan Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

[Jackass] wrote:
    Plus, the Irish, in our very conservative social ways, believe that somebody must be weird if they choose to go to the pub get out and have a bit of craic on their own rather than what any NORMAL person would do and just sit in bored off their ass cause they had nothing to do.

Right, because for anybody a night out is pub vs bored with nothing to do.

Glad you've such an entertaining life there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

to have sex with....in their bottoms.

Ryan Tubridy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Whatever you're into buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Pubs on my own: to watch a match.

Nightclubs on my own: to watch a band/dj

That is all.

Or horny old men who are trying to shag anything:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

towel401 wrote: »
    although you can tell a scumbag straight away they are still suspicious of ordinary folk, especially those who venture into a pub by themselves
    That is true and something I have noticed myself in England is the gang mentality amoung a lot of teen /20 somethings .But it's down to the individual to carve his or her own niche with own group of friends and it's good to see that not all sucumb to the gang mentality .Their are a lot of very decent good young men and womon out there doing their own thing as a group and creating their own individualil styles .It's just that the skangers and the brian deads are the ones who make the headlines for all the wrong reasons ,usually when sombody is murdered . We have to remember to is that lots of ordinary decent people in many citys and towns are afraid to venture out to the pubs for these very reasons ,fear of being beaten up or worse murdered and that is a sad reflection of our society .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭JohnGalt

Can't think of anything more unwholesome than going for a pint on your own. If I feel like I a good time but none of my friends are venturing into the city center, I would usually down a bottle of Jack Daniels, pull clumps of pubic hair out with a tweezers until I'm bleeding, blow torch my balls while listening to Vivaldi, to be honest.

JohnGalt wrote: »
    Can't think of anything more unwholesome than going for a pint on your own. If I feel like I a good time but none of my friends are venturing into the city center, I would usually down a bottle of Jack Daniels, pull clumps of pubic hair out with a tweezers until I'm bleeding, blow torch my balls while listening to Vivaldi, to be honest.
    Oh what a night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I have different circles of friends(work, college, school friends, boards friends) so there's always a group heading out. But i like my quiet drink and tbh i would go to a club on my own....

Like Coppers, there's so much going on that you wouldn't notice. Most times i end up losing my friends so i am alone :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement