Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler won't turn on - Gas

• 02-01-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, does anyone here know anything about Gas boilers?
    I rang Bord Gáis and confirmed there is gas coming to our place but to have somone call out for 30minutes will cost €90!! :eek:

So my flatmates asked their dad's, both of whom have gas and one of them said to just release some of the air by turning a valve. Sounds easy, but there's 3 valves, 2 red one yellow. Any idea which one? :)

Comments

Firstly the idea of you purging your gas pipe yourself is just dangerous, so please don't try, how have you decided it's a issue with the incoming gas and air in the supply? Gary (a gasman)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What sort of boiler do you have?

It may not be firing due to low system pressure (water). It could also be an internal fault in the boiler.

As Gary stated, don't mess with the gas supply - leave that to a qualified expert but by all means check into other possibilities first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

This happened my boiler yesterday, I was bleeding the rads because some of them were airlocked, on one of the rads the air release valve came off suddenly and quite a bit of water shot out. I got it resealed but my gas burner shut off. I dont know how to restart it. I moved it to reset and then back to the funny squiggle setting it had been at but nothing happened. Do I need to put water back into the rads or something? I thought that they would replace the lost water themselves... help please!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you bled rads then you has relieved pressure and need to top it up. It would appear that you have a sealed system which means that you will need to top it manually. Locate the pressure guage (usually close to the boiler). Next you will need to locate the filling valve for the system. This could be in the hot press or in the attic and will be in the closed position. Open the valve briefly and see if the pressure guage rises - if it does then you have the correct valve. Once you're happy it's the right valve then top the system up to approx 1 bar by keeping an eye on the guage - if necessary have someone else look at the guage as you fill. Once you reach the required pressure close the valve. If you over pressurise you can always relieve some by opening a radiator bleed valve. Depending on your boiler you may need to reset it if it is showing a fault - the manual may offer some advice on how to do this. With my boiler I just swich the mains supply on and off but other boilers may be different.

Advertisement