Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aer arann amsterdam flights

Options
  • 02-01-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

does anybody know the story with flights to amsterdam. thought they had a regular service but none appear to be available on website for a weekend trip. last time i went it was through brussels. i thought aer arann were advertising a amsterdam route regularly. bad buzz!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 45,487 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Aer Arann have cancelled the Galway - Amsterdam route.

The reason i know this is because I had a flight booked for next month to the Dam and they rang me 5/6 weeks ago to tell me they were refunding me as they were no longer operating the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Anyone know why the route is no more?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Anyone know why the route is no more?

Aer Arann are changing their business focus last I heard. They are moving away from scheduled flights to charters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Aer Arann have cancelled the Galway - Amsterdam route.

The reason i know this is because I had a flight booked for next month to the Dam and they rang me 5/6 weeks ago to tell me they were refunding me as they were no longer operating the route.

And Galway - Waterford is gone? I took a GWY-AMS flight once and it stopped over at Waterford, but almost 5hrs on bus to gether 20mins by plane

I wish Galway Airport would drop their high landing fees! would atleast help for everyone make a bit rather then nothing!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Brilliant, theres an easy trip to Amsterdam down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

Shame it's gone, only flew it once and it was dead handy :(

Aer Arann offers a glimmer of hope in the Munster Express that it may return in the future:
    Waterford Airport’s connectivity to Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport, proudly trumpeted by Aer Arann as a key factor in the region’s future development, is to be suspended by the airline on January 12th.
    The key word in the announcement made on Thursday last is ‘suspension’, with Aer Arann keen to stress that the news didn’t mark a retreat from its commit-ment to regional airports.
    “Route reductions like this are normal for the winter schedule,” according to Aer Arann’s designate Chief Executive Paul Schütz, anxious to quell any Waterford-sourced worries.
    “While the cuts may be a little deeper in these recessionary times, routes that are suspended will be kept under review and may return in the future when the demand is there to support them.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/aer-arann-announces-suspension-of-waterford-amsterdam-service/

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Aer Arann cut a lot of flights for 2009 from Galway, all the european flights are gone and only Lorient returning for the summer. They mustn't have been able to get the numbers last year and the airport is in trouble too with a 13% drop in passengers to 270k. Just Dublin, Luton, Manchester and Edinburgh routes left now.

Article in the Galway independent
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/double-blow-for-galway-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I always thought Aer Arann's Galway flights would struggle to compete with Ryanair flights from Shannon, Knock and Dublin. I often travel to the UK (Manchester and London mainly) and it would suit me a lot to travel from Galway Airport but I can never afford it so I usually end up using Dublin or Shannon.

And Galway Airport will always struggle to see a high volume of passengers unless they can make the runway big enough for Ryanair planes can land there.

I think it's in Galway Airport's long term plans to make a bigger runway. I know a lot of people don't like Ryanair (I don't find them too bad by the way) but it would be very good for tourism in Galway if they could start flying into Galway Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

KevR wrote: »
    I always thought Aer Arann's Galway flights would struggle to compete with Ryanair flights from Shannon, Knock and Dublin. I often travel to the UK (Manchester and London mainly) and it would suit me a lot to travel from Galway Airport but I can never afford it so I usually end up using Dublin or Shannon.

Have you factored in the cost of getting to Dublin/Shannon and the cost of parking etc? Not to mention the extra hassle and time taken...
    If Galway served a few destinations that I fly to and there was a cheaper alternative in Dublin/Shannon, I would still favour Galway even just to avoid the drive and car parking hassle.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have you factored in the cost of getting to Dublin/Shannon and the cost of parking etc? Not to mention the extra hassle and time taken...
    If Galway served a few destinations that I fly to and there was a cheaper alternative in Dublin/Shannon, I would still favour Galway even just to avoid the drive and car parking hassle.

I always factor in the extra cost of getting to Dublin or Shannon and it still nearly always works out a lot cheaper.

I'm off to Manchester for the weekend this weekend. Dublin-Manchester return €20, return bus from Galway to Dublin Airport €26. I'm saving over €100 by flying from Dublin. Don't get me wrong, it's a massive pain in the arse having to travel the whole way to Dublin but I can't justify paying the prices Aer Arann usually charge from Galway, especially when I travel quite often.

I'm off to Manchester for the weekend this weekend. Dublin-Manchester return €20...

Who's doing DUB-MAN for €20? That can't be including taxes, airport charges and security surcharges, surely???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a pity aer arann is cutting it's routes I flew with them from Manchester to Sligo, best service out there. Their prop planes are the most comfortable of all the cheapo airlines.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's a pity aer arann is cutting it's routes I flew with them from Manchester to Sligo, best service out there. Their prop planes are the most comfortable of all the cheapo airlines.

Couldn't agree more. Flew with them on Amsterdam - Waterford. Friendly staff, efficient service, nice planes, decent prices. Would love to fly with them again as soon as they reopen the route....

chopley wrote: »
    Who's doing DUB-MAN for €20? That can't be including taxes, airport charges and security surcharges, surely???

Sorry for going off-topic...

Ryanair. Fare was €5 each way including taxes and airport charges and then there is a €5 credit card charge per flight. So basically a tenner each way/€20 return.

If you check the Ryanair website regularly and can be pretty flexible on when you travel you will get some unbelievable fares. I got return flights to London for 2cents including taxes and airport charges once so total was €10.02 when you add in the credit card charge. They also fly from Shannon and Knock which are handier than Dublin but there isn't as wide a selection of flights.

Also, just stumbled across this today. Not tried it yet myself but it looks like you can avoid the Ryanair credit card charge. I'll definitely be trying it next time I'm booking a flight.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449731

Looks like the Galway-Cork route is no more also. It's not included in any of the timetables from March onwards.

I was thinking of going down to Cork to get wasted for a weekend during the summer. No way I'm getting the bus. Was sort of hoping to fly down if flights were any way reasonable but it doesn't look like I'll have that option now. Will have to drive by the looks of it, which won't be a nice experience - the N20 between Limerick and Cork is aweful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Looks like the Galway-Cork route is no more also. It's not included in any of the timetables from March onwards.

I was thinking of going down to Cork to get wasted for a weekend during the summer. No way I'm getting the bus. Was sort of hoping to fly down if flights were any way reasonable but it doesn't look like I'll have that option now. Will have to drive by the looks of it, which won't be a nice experience - the N20 between Limerick and Cork is aweful.

Huh? I find the road from Limerick to Cork ok, just ok nothing special. It used be a hell of a lot worse. I've been travelling Galway to West Cork most of my life and its only got better. The bad part is from Bishops town -> Clon. Sad part is its still quicker to go via Tulla -> O'Briens Bridge - Limerick than take the Ennis by pass.

As for the flights from Galway always wanted to try the Galway Amsterdam trip but tbh you can get to Dublin - Enidhoven very cheap and its only a quick train trip then. Saved hundreds the last time we went going this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From what I see on the Summer Schedule for Aer Arann Galway to Waterford Galway to Faro Galway to Malaga and Galway to Amsterdam are all gone and reduced frequency on the remaing routes. Tough times ahead for Galway Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Hi,

Does anyone know when you can travel from Galway to Amsterdam, The option seems to be gone from their site,

Ta,

D,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mr_disc wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know when you can travel from Galway to Amsterdam, The option seems to be gone from their site,

Ta,

D,

They closed the route last year....

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply. That's a pity they did so. Wasn't making money I guess ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with a slightly older thread

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Aer Arran contracted out a lot of flights to a company with small jets that could land at Galway and they went bust and pulled out around last November -December time. A friend of mine was the chief pilot.

It's a shame really, It was a very good link to Europe, now we are made a bit more remote. It's backwards we are going :(

Advertisement