Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator - How much??

Options
  • 02-01-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My car just died and I suspect that it is the alternator. Can anyone tell me how much a new alternator would cost?? I fear that it is going to cost a fortune........:mad:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 braf89

make and model. sometimes it is possible to get your alternator reconditioned and that would be the cheapest alternative i think but then again it mightnt even be that dear depending on your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

braf89 wrote: »
    make and model. sometimes it is possible to get your alternator reconditioned and that would be the cheapest alternative i think but then again it mightnt even be that dear depending on your car?

It is a 2001 Opel Corsa. What would you say is the fastest method of getting the car back on the road? New alternator / reconditioned etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What makes you think it's the alternator? It'll be a very costly fix if you find out it's somethign else having got a new alternator.

BTW to answer your question, to get a reconditioned exchange alternator should cost about €100

• Registered Users Posts: 42 braf89

it shudnt cost too much for an alternator for a corsa. its much of a muchness your best bet is go into a motor factors tomorrow if there is any open and ask them how long the part will take and then ask do they no of any crowd that would be able to recondition car parts. most motor factors are sound and will help you not just want every last penny off you. where abouts are you based?

I think it is the altenator because the battery is not holding its charge. When i start the engine it starts but then does almost straight away... Also nothing on the dashboard stays lit t...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Is the belt still turning the alternator?? My neigbour said his battery light had come on and I took a look and the belt had snapped.

I've used Almax on the Cromwellfort road they did a good job on the altenator rebuild, took my old one out and he had one in stock already , great attention to detail and it was repainted . Very helpful as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

kingtut wrote: »
    I think it is the altenator because the battery is not holding its charge. When i start the engine it starts but then does almost straight away... Also nothing on the dashboard stays lit t...
    That doesn't sound like anything to do with the alternator to be honest if I have picked up correctly.

If it was the alternator, it'd start and run for a long long time unless you were driving on lights and even then it'd run for a fair while. It does sound liek something electrical though. Have you checked the main fuses and for any poor connections around the fuse box and also check the battery terminals, sometimes there is a main fuse on the +ve terminal.

You could give more detail in relation to the symptoms - it would help those here to help you. Like for example, does the dashlights / lights stay lit until the car is started, do they light at all, how long does the car run for before it dies after starting, etc etc.

Quick update for everyone (oh and thanks for all the help so far)

I dropped the car into the garage on Saturday morning and had a chat with the mechanic. Based on my description of what was happening he suspects that the electrical circuit behind the dashboard is faulty / broken / cracked or loose etc because he said it controls all the cars electronics as well as the starter etc...He said that he has heard of this once before and will need to get a new circuit from an Opel dealer (if this is the actual problem - he will not know until he actually inspects it)

So I guess my question is does anyone know what circuit he is talking about and how much it costs? All he could tell me is that it would be expensive....:(

Thank you all for your help once again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Based on your description of the mechanic, and if he did not test the battery/alternator, I would either be looking for a different mechanic or else bending over! "He said that he has heard of this once before..." indeed.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement