Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP

Options
  • 02-01-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain to me what this is?
    Our school doesn't offer it so I haven't a breeze what it is, and I'm just curious! :D

Comments

It stands for Leaving Cert Vocational Program. It's known as Link Modules too. I don't know an awful lot about it, but it's basically a course that teaches you some basic business, and about the world of work. You have to carry out an investigation into a local business, type up a CV, go on work experience and write a report about it, etc etc. You then make a portfolio with all of the things that you've written up about, and it's worth 50% of your total marks or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To add to what JammyDodger said, there is an exam in it as well, held the first week of May just before the LC. Grades are awarded at Distinction, Merit and Pass instead of the regular grading system and the points are 70 for Distinction, 50 for Merit and 30 for Pass so it can help a student enormously who is not doing many honours and needs points. If your schools offers it you can only do it if you have a certain combination of subjects, many of the subjects include business and practical subjects.

About half the students in the school I teach in, take LCVP every year for LC as well as their other 7 subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

It's really really really boring.

You have to carry out a career investigation and talk about it under certain headings ie skills needed, characteristics, 2 ways to enter this profession etc.

You then do (or should do) a week's work experience based on your career investigation ie if you did your CI on a carpenter, you are supposed to work with a carpenter.

You then have to write about what you did during the weeks work experience (work experience diary) ie "I sawed a piece of wood".

You write up a C.V.

You have to write a summary report on an activity. For example, we visited FAS opportunities 2008 in croke park and had to write a report on it ie how I got there, what my aims where, if I achieved my aims etc. Some schools visit dairy farms, so we where lucky.

You write an "Action Plan". This is a fictional activity you undertake. For example, some people organised driving lessons, others a 5-a-side football tournament. Again it's written under certain headings ie Aims, did I achieve my aims, costs etc

This all seems very straightforward but it's not.

In May you do a test. It's marked very hard. The test involves watching a video and answering questions about the video, answering q's on the activities you undertook ie CI. Action Plan etc. (where you may,for example, have to write the minutes for a meeting or the agenda so the questions aren't VERY straightforward). You also do an applied bus. Q (ABQ). The test itself is easy enough but its marked very tough.

Personally, I hate LCVP. But when I get my leaving cert it will come in handy.

Hope this helps.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It counts for 88% of people that do it in their leaving cert points..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You then do (or should do) a week's work experience :D

Should lol

Agree with everything you say- Its as boring as **** but will be useful when the time comes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Thanks!
    Wow, it does sound boring! And a bit of a waste of time, unless you are really trying to gather points together. Is it included in your six subjects, or do you add it on on top of whatever you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's included as one of the six counted for points. Otherwise everyone would be doing it to get extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I wanted to do it for the points but it's just so stupid and boring, I didn't bother

Thanks!
    Wow, it does sound boring! And a bit of a waste of time, unless you are really trying to gather points together. Is it included in your six subjects, or do you add it on on top of whatever you get?

It is and we do it instead of PE which makes it a 100 times worse ( we where supposed to do PE 1 a month but they didn't let us:mad::mad::mad::mad:)

I wanted to do it for the points but it's just so stupid and boring, I didn't bother

Wish I'd done the same. It's a real pain in the ass, but if I end up needeing it...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

+1

It's like CSPE all over again, trying to write 2 pages of waffle on how "my job was to collect the money". Can't stand that shít.

Advertisement