Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Face and heels (in your own opinion)

• 02-01-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

So we've had a "best wrestler of all time" thread, but what about a "Best face and heel wrestlers" of all time thread?

In your opinions who do you think the top 3 good and bad guys are ever in the business?
    Give reasons too for any particular ones.

Faces:
    The Rock
    RVD
    Eddie

Heels:
    Stone cold (invasion time)
    Flair
    The Dudley boyz

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

just personal experience and in no particular order unless stated.

Faces:

Mick Foley
    SCSA
    The Rock

4. Hulk Hogan (biggest face of all time tbh but not a personal fav so no.4)

Heel:

HHH
    Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase
    Rick Flair

4.The Undertaker (Ministry)... yes he was cheered and never really hated but a great heel character for me, so much so that people wanted the bad guy to win normally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Faces
    Sting
    Ricky Steamboat
    Stone Cold

Heels
    Edge and Christian
    Edge
    The Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Without a doubt the best face in the world is Kenta Kobashi. He's just something else when it comes to getting the crowd on his side

Also Shawn Michaels and Bruno Sammartino

Heels:

Bruiser Brody
    Terry Funk
    Gorgeous George

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Here's my lists along with reasons for selection!

Best Faces -

1) Shawn Michaels:- Always worked tremendously as a face - how many times have you seen Michaels getting the crap beaten out of him and looking dead and buried and exploding back from nowhere to pull off the win. He just has the ability to hold the crowd in the palm of his hand during his matches.

2) Hulk Hogan:- His pure charisma and intensity are unparalleled. Also, much like Michaels, he is a master of pyschology who can time his comebacks to perfection.

3) Ricky Steamboat:- The eternal babyface, don't think he ever actually played heel in his career. Much like Michaels and Hogan, the way in which he used to come back from seemingly impossible situations is awesome.

Best Heels -

1) Ric Flair:- When he needed to be, he was pure arrogence personified. He could lay a proper heel beat down on the best of them. He was also prepared to bump quite a lot during the important stages of a match and thus make the face look good and giving the crowd a that bit of hope for the face. Also, has to be noted that Flair wrote the book on ways to cheat in a match!

2) Shawn Michaels:- As a heel, he was exactly like Flair: As arrogent as could be, always methodical in his beat down of the face and willing to bump sh*tloads to make the face look strong, thus making the face's comeback all that more effective. In my opinion, Michaels is the ultimate wrestler, awesome as both heel and face.

3) Ted Dibiase (Sr.) & Rick Rude:- Couldn't make my mind up between these 2. Both made themselves utterly hateable and both were class when it came to beating down the face. Both were also excellent at taking the face's comeback. How many times did Rude, for example show all of this against Warrior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭OrtonViper

Face
    Shawn Michaels
    The Rock
    Hulk Hogan

Heel
    Steve Austin
    Ted DiBiase
    Rody Piper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think Michaels since his return has been a great babyface but the Shawn Michaels of the 90's wasn't the greatest babyface in the world I don't think.

At times he came across as very unlikeable when he wasn't supposed to. Even as a kid, I kinda picked up on it.

the Shawn Michaels of the 90's wasn't the greatest babyface in the world I don't think.

At times he came across as very unlikeable when he wasn't supposed to. Even as a kid, I kinda picked up on it.

Apparently, he wasn't too likeable on a personal level either! He was very over as a face up until after he won the belt from Bret at Mania 12. This (1996) was at the time when the attitude era was beginning to emerge, so a white meat babyface who's led to the ring by a Mexican pensioner (i feel bad for describing Jose Lothario like that) wasn't the most hip thing in the world!

In spite of all of that, when he worked as a face in his matches in the 90s, he did so exceptionally (imo). His selling was always excellent when he was getting beaten down by the heel and his comebacks evoked huge levels of emotion from the crowd. He even got some of the best matches of Sid and Nash's careers out of them while he was face in the 90s!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Personally speaking, i much prefer the rocker/sexyboy Shawn Michaels that threw Marty Jannetty into that window, screwed bret and begun a faction of degenerates.
    Rather than they later HBK, superkicking a wanderer backstage to try and show how he is still controversial.

Just my thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

In spite of all of that, when he worked as a face in his matches in the 90s, he did so exceptionally (imo). His selling was always excellent when he was getting beaten down by the heel and his comebacks evoked huge levels of emotion from the crowd. He even got some of the best matches of Sid and Nash's careers out of them while he was face in the 90s!!

You didn't need to underline matches. That's what I was referring to. I love And I stand by what I wrote. We're talking about the best babyface of all time and in my opinion the Shawn Michaels of the 1990's was not close to that and taking his whole career in context, he wouldn't quite be on the top of my list either.

The Von Erichs for a specific period of time for a territory comes to my mind. When you talk about evoking huge levels of emotion, they were the epitomy of it.

You didn't need to underline matches. That's what I was referring to.

Sorry man, wasn't entirely sure whether that was what you were referring to, just wanted to emphasise the fact that it was what i was referring to.
    And I stand by what I wrote. We're talking about the best babyface of all time and in my opinion the Shawn Michaels of the 1990's was not close to that and taking his whole career in context, he wouldn't quite be on the top of my list either.

Fair enough, i respect your opinion. I don't agree with it but i do understand where you're coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fozzy wrote: »
    Without a doubt the best face in the world is Kenta Kobashi. He's just something else when it comes to getting the crowd on his side

Also Shawn Michaels and Bruno Sammartino

Heels:

Bruiser Brody
    Terry Funk
    Gorgeous George
    What this man said. He has an aura like no other.

Hogan or Austin obviously win this in terms of North American face wrestlers.

Probably Flair for greatest heel, although Rick Rude and Jake Roberts were awesome as well.

Funnily enough Lawler would be the best choice for a guy who would tick the most boxes to be top of both lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

flahavaj wrote: »
    Funnily enough Lawler would be the best choice for a guy who would tick the most boxes to be top of both lists.

Thats one that would have never crossed my mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thats one that would have never crossed my mind!

Well he was as beloved a face as it is possible to be in Memphis and was a fantastic cowardly slimy heel during his WWE run.

Advertisement