Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggro-attack! Future flat given away!

Options
  • 02-01-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Not as inflammatory as headline may suggest, BUT:

We get word of a beautiful place popped up in our area – double the space, same price as rent we're shelling out now for cramped, dark spot.
    Night before leaving on a week's xmas hols we see the apartment, love it, tell Future LandLord we'll take it, and say all will be resolved as soon as we get back in one week.

Called her tonight and she gave the place away when we were gone!:eek:

Absolutely raging (but in control) I reiterate that we'd agreed to take it, how disappointing this is, and why would she give a place away when it's spoken for.

She says she's been let down twice trying to rent the place and when she didn't hear from us for a week, thought we had decided not to go with the apartment.

Again, I remined her I'd said we'd be out of the country for a week, she says Yes, I know.

I say we'd still like the place. She says she's given her word to someone else but if they don't sign the contract tomorrow (sat.) she'll give it to us.

Beside being a furious wreck at the moment, we don't seem to have any say in this. She'd up on a high horse with this "I gave my word to the other woman, and I don't break my word" mess, despite being alright this time last week with us having the place.

To make it even worse, I snapped that she's left us without a place altogether and got a chipper "In this market that won't be the case for long"

AAARGHHHHHH :mad:*smashes glass against wall, stomps feet*:mad:

It's not the point, ye thick, I wanted that apartment!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Could have put down the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Keep looking. There will be more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you liked it so much- you really should have put a deposit on it.
    To be honest- its next to impossible to let anything these days- any sane landlord/lady would have let the apartment immediately to the first person who showed them the money.

Lesson learnt......

There are thousands of vacant properties out there (between 65 and 70 thousand nationwide) so do keep looking- you will find something nice, and probably before very long........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you really want somewhere, you really need to give them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I say we'd still like the place. She says she's given her word to someone else but if they don't sign the contract tomorrow (sat.) she'll give it to us.

Beside being a furious wreck at the moment, we don't seem to have any say in this. She'd up on a high horse with this "I gave my word to the other woman, and I don't break my word" mess, despite being alright this time last week with us having the place.
    Sounds like a bluff, to get you to offer a larger bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like a bluff, to get you to offer a larger bid.

I don't know how you conclude that. :confused:

Anyway, OP you can blame the prospective landlord all you want, but really you have no one to blame other than yourself. What the landlord has done is perfectly acceptable and understandable, why should they hold the property for you when somebody else is 'ready to go' more or less immediately? If you wanted the property that badly you should have agreed to pay a holding deposit in order to secure the property.

Bottom line is move on and continue with search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Steamed_Pudding

Fair point about a deposit. Had it been asked, it would have been paid.
    As it hadn't, and FLL had been happy with the arrangement the day we left, clearly we saw the matter differently.

(And I do agree with the poster who suggested she was looking for more money and faster – she'd advertised the place at two prices, one higher online and for a fifty euro less on a flyer, I suspect someone offered the online price.)

Makes enough sense, we're wiser for the next time and all that jazz... but, meh, I'm still raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 S12

Thats such a nightmare! I have my eye on the perfect place for me but cant view it as the agent has been close all Christmas and is only open on Monday. I reckon she'll be have loads of emails so I'll keep calling until I get her in person. If someone else gets there first I think I'll cry...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Called her tonight and she gave the place away when we were gone!:eek:

Again, I remined her I'd said we'd be out of the country for a week, she says Yes, I know.

It's not the point, ye thick, I wanted that apartment!

Look on the bright side. You may have wanted THAT apartment, but I doubt you want THAT landlord, now you know what she's like.

eg "Yes, I know you said last week that the washing machine has broken down. What was it you're calling me about again" etc.

Think of yourself as having had a lucky escape!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

You got so angry so created a boards account :eek:.

Seriously, I wouldn't let it get to you. There are loads of great places about now. It really is the best time to be looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement