Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

LAN trouble

• 02-01-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

just bought a laptop and brought it home, plugged it in to my LAN and its not going online, something to do with not being able to obtain the IP address??

im no expert so maybe someone could help??

I have the router in my room and my laptop works fine off it, ive just had a desktop working fine off the 2nd port which is the one im trying to connect the new laptop to so im thinking its the new laptop's network settings thats the prob??

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Your new laptop was probably told to get an IP manually, you need to set it to automatically get an IP from your routers DHCP server. Go to
    Control Panel-Network Connections-Right Click on Local Area Connection and click properties-Scroll down and go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties-and set everything in there to obtain an IP automatically, apply everything and it should automatically get an IP and connect, if not, try plugging out the cable for a few seconds and put it in again :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

if thats not the answer, then it might be that your router doesnt have the DHCP server on, in which case the old laptop was setup specifically with an IP address that would work on your router.
    two options - turn on the dhcp server on the router, and fix and auto IP configuration on your old laptop and new laptop - or setup the ip manually on your new laptop (very close to the IP address of the old laptop(which can be found in the same place as some person suggested above).

If this is the case i would fix the DHCP server since its a nicer fix.

Hopefully some person's solution will help you
    (the reason i suggest this is because the error on your new laptop sounds like its trying to obtain an IP address)

Advertisement